Am I just a hater? RE: hand shift w/ hand clutch.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xnewmanx
    • Aug 2012

Am I just a hater? RE: hand shift w/ hand clutch.

I try to like all motorcycles, especially ones that people modify themselves, but what makes me just instantly hate any motorcycle where the owner installs a hand shift, but still has a hand clutch. To me it just seems like such a fuckin' copout of having a "cool handshift bike" without any of the effort.

Either the clutch lever on the shifter:

Or (even worse in my opinion), the clutch on the bar and the shifter on the right side:

I think the latter is just fucking gross because every shift you're moving your hand all over the fuckin' place. Nothing beats just cruising around and not even putting your left hand anywhere but the shifter. That XS would be pretty rad otherwise, but that configuration just tosses all credibility out the window.

Do I need to lighten up?
  • bobscogin
    • Jun 2011

I was done with that foot clutch/hand shift stuff 50 years ago. Once I rode with a hand clutch and foot shifter, I had no further use for it. I guess if anybody needs to have some pretend version of it just for the "cool factor", go for it. Matters not to me how anyone shifts. Now, do I need to lighten up?

Comment

• humancertainty
      • Mar 2014

It can have its place. There's a guy here in the city that has a setup like that because a cager ran into him last year which resulted in a fair bit of his leg getting amputated.

Comment

• xnewmanx
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by humancertainty
        It can have its place. There's a guy here in the city that has a setup like that because a cager ran into him last year which resulted in a fair bit of his leg getting amputated.
        Reasonable answer.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
          • Apr 2010

Easy solution to your concerns, look away. Or go up and vent your feelings to the builder/owner. your call stud muffin.
          Originally posted by xnewmanx
          I try to like all motorcycles, especially ones that people modify themselves, but what makes me just instantly hate any motorcycle where the owner installs a hand shift, but still has a hand clutch. To me it just seems like such a fuckin' copout of having a "cool handshift bike" without any of the effort.

Either the clutch lever on the shifter:

Or (even worse in my opinion), the clutch on the bar and the shifter on the right side:

I think the latter is just fucking gross because every shift you're moving your hand all over the fuckin' place. Nothing beats just cruising around and not even putting your left hand anywhere but the shifter. That XS would be pretty rad otherwise, but that configuration just tosses all credibility out the window.

Do I need to lighten up?

Comment

• rene53catalina
            • Sep 2013

yeah well , there are some more things personally i hate the flat rear fenders , they are for trailers not for motorcycles , and when people throw on a solo seat with springs on a bike with rear suspension and call the ugly fuck a custom

Comment

• EVILBLACKSABRE
              • Dec 2013

Like what you like, and don't like what you don't like, nothing wrong with that.

I like the bikes I like, and I don't like the bikes I don't like, but what I don't do is hate on the bikes I don't like, or the people who own them. Nor do I feel the need to insult them, either to their faces, or behind their backs on the internet, regarding their personal taste, or their motives for making their bikes the way they do.

No matter what YOU ride, chances are there are people out there who think it looks like a piece of shit, or that you're just trying to be cool, or that you're a hipster just following the latest trend. But there's no reason why you should care what other people think about your bike, just as there's no reason why anyone else should care what you think about their bike.

If I don't like someones bike, I keep my opinions to myself. If someone doesn't like my bike, and feels the need to share their opinion with me about it, I ignore them, and/or give them a very impassive "Go fuck yourself". Either way, I couldn't care less if some total stranger/dick/asshole doesn't like my bike. Hell, if someone isn't my family or friend, I couldn't care less if they live or die, so I certainly don't care what they think about my bike, or anything else for that matter.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                • Sep 2014

Nah you don't need to lighten up . A ratchet top w/ a jockey shift top is also a cop out. I just happened to be thinkin', about this tonight as I was hand jammin' down the road. Endless cop-out versions of the real thing. If I have to explain you wouldn't understand. I guess the post above about a handicapped is reasonable enough. problem is there are an awful amount of non-handicapped people riding as if they were. ...and ,by the way, xs's and the like ,will never be rad ,just another cop out bike w/a cop out reason to ride it as a chopper no matter what todays bike rags will try to make you believe.

Comment

• docmel
                  • May 2015

The whole idea of having such a set up has been around for decades. Myself I believe its a little bulky looking on a slimmed down chop or bobber. And its a little user unfriendly, at least when you are in a tight spot, slow speeds and need to jockey around

But its a kinda off the wall thing that some folks like: And thats what its about

Comment

• FredoSNR
                    • Jun 2010

I dont like the way they look, but I respect them as the most dangerous setup for sure. In an emergency, you have to take a hand off the bars and steer away from death single handed. Fuck that.

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Anti-functional shifter/clutch combinations are dumb. If you are a cripple then it may make more sense than "not being able to use the motorcycle" but if ya ain't a cripple installing crippled SYSTEMS may be a dandy way to become one.

Artsy types may forget just how vulnerable motorcyclists are on a good day. I insist on shit that works.

Comment

• NeoDutch
                        • Aug 2009

Stupid idea loved by OCC and hipasters.

Comment

• andri
                          • Mar 2012

I have to agree. An instant turn-off.

I set mine up for a jockey shift foot clutch when my clutch cable snapped while leaving my street before a ride. Rode it that way until the new cable arrived. Absolutely hated it. Riding the twisties there was no way I could ride as hard as with the foot shift hand clutch.
                          Got alot of street cred though! But riding is more fun than getting credit.

Comment

• 71butcher
                            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by andri
                            I have to agree. An instant turn-off.

I set mine up for a jockey shift foot clutch when my clutch cable snapped while leaving my street before a ride. Rode it that way until the new cable arrived. Absolutely hated it. Riding the twisties there was no way I could ride as hard as with the foot shift hand clutch.
                            Got alot of street cred though! But riding is more fun than getting credit.
                            I made a foot clutch and hand shifter for my sportster. i hate it. its hard to take off, and stop. rough roads at stop signs. lots of dirt roads and stuff around here.
                            got some serious street cred though from my bros. maybe out somewhere where its flat and the roads arent a dirt pile might work.

Comment

• MedicalCowboy
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by EVILBLACKSABRE
                              Like what you like, and don't like what you don't like, nothing wrong with that.

I like the bikes I like, and I don't like the bikes I don't like, but what I don't do is hate on the bikes I don't like, or the people who own them. Nor do I feel the need to insult them, either to their faces, or behind their backs on the internet, regarding their personal taste, or their motives for making their bikes the way they do.

No matter what YOU ride, chances are there are people out there who think it looks like a piece of shit, or that you're just trying to be cool, or that you're a hipster just following the latest trend. But there's no reason why you should care what other people think about your bike, just as there's no reason why anyone else should care what you think about their bike.

If I don't like someones bike, I keep my opinions to myself. If someone doesn't like my bike, and feels the need to share their opinion with me about it, I ignore them, and/or give them a very impassive "Go fuck yourself". Either way, I couldn't care less if some total stranger/dick/asshole doesn't like my bike. Hell, if someone isn't my family or friend, I couldn't care less if they live or die, so I certainly don't care what they think about my bike, or anything else for that matter.
                              Very well said sir.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;