Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • westhelink
    • May 2015

noisy evo sportster

So recently my 2000 1200 sportster started making this really loud ticking noise and the rpm's stay at a higher rate. this happens after the bike is good and warm and ive been riding it for awhile. It will start ticking loud and then its like its cools down and stops and then will do it again randomly. I cant really tell if the noise is coming from the front case or the carb area. everything ive read online says sportsters can just be noisy engines but, i feel like this is something else with the rpm's getting higher too when it starts clicking. anyone heard about something like this. thanks
  • jonnyoz
    • Oct 2014

Do you mean once you start hearing the clicking, the rpm's increase without you doing anything? Is this just at idle or when cruising?

If the rpm's are rising, it's gotta be getting more air/fuel. I would start with doing a good job of cleaning the carb, fuel filter, lube throttle cables and see
    where that gets you.

Evos are/can be noisy, when I bought my 03 I was mildly concerned that it had too much valve train noise, had my local shop check it out and when I asked
    if the sound was something to worry about, their casual response was "nah, it's an evo."
    That being said, it's curious that it's only doing this intermittently.

I'm curious what everyone else will suggest.

Comment

• Pendulum
      • Jul 2011

Wes - You've probably got an exhaust leak. I'd start by replacing the gaskets at the heads, and checking the rest of the exhaust system for leaks. If that all checks out, then I'd focus my attention on doing a PROPER, THOROUGH, carb cleaning and checking/replacing all of the gaskets on the intake tract.

Originally posted by jonnyoz
      I asked if the sound was something to worry about, their casual response was "nah, it's an evo."
      I had a bunch of guys tell me that, all the way up until the engine bent a valve thanks to a bolt that was rattling around in the rocker box. Not saying that's the case for your bike, but I'm real skeptical of the "nah, all Evos are noisy" line.

Comment

• westhelink
        • May 2015

The bike starts up and runs fine. its only after ive been riding for awhile does it start to do this. I did have trouble gettin my exhaust from the front case back into the bung on the frame so ive been riding around with it just bolted onto the case. probably not good i know. that being said it might be an exhaust leak. thanks for the quick response, i feel like i have a starting point now.

Comment

• JRyan
          • Jul 2012

sounds like intake/air leak, or jacked up carb. easiest solution first before jumping to conclusions.

Comment

• 0BLCKTJ6
            • Mar 2012

Does it sound anything like this:

If so its probably your lifters. Mine wouldn't start doing that until it was hot and after a few minutes of riding, it would start intermittently and then stay steady. Pretty easy and relatively cheap fix especially if you've got adjustable pushrods.

Comment

• westhelink
              • May 2015

no its more of a clicking noise

Comment

• JRyan
                • Jul 2012

a bad exhaust leak will sound like a tick. if its at the head.
                Last edited by JRyan; 06-09-2015, 8:52 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

I recycled the same exhaust gaskets on my FXR for years by spooging them with high temp RTV before reinstallation. The crossover tube came from the factory sealed with clear RTV though that doesn't get as hot.

I also anti-seize every threaded exhaust fastener and I've never lost an exhaust stud on anything in about 35 years of doing that. Plan to take it apart even if you never expect to.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;