Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jakexshapiro
    • Jan 2015

Starter motor sounds like a blender 86 sportster 883

Hey I'm kind of new around here so please bare with me.

Recently got my sporty running and took it out for a spin. The bike was getting very hot (intake leak) so I parked it to cool. After some time I go to start it up and the starter motor just spins and sounds like a blender or power drill.

I pulled the starter motor from the bike and hooked a battery up to it and the gear was turning. I stuck a piece of wood in the gear while it was spinning to test resistance and it stopped immediately. I'm not sure what's going on here. I'm told the bendix is shot.

I started the bike several times with no problems, then suddenly this happens.

Is this worth repairing or replacing?
    Should I just buy a new starter motor?

I'm trying to figure out what my next step is.

Thanks for your help guys.
  • TwoSheds
    • Nov 2012

sounds like a bad "sprauge clutch" in the starter. Easy to replace.

Comment

• jakexshapiro
      • Jan 2015

I just did a search on this starter clutch you're talking about and it seems to be the weak point in the Harley starter. Do you know where I can order one of these? Or maybe you can recommend a good one?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• tjgonz
        • Sep 2012

A quick vid about it I found.
        A very common problem with Harley Davdison motors is the starter sprag cluth. Fixing the Harley starter clutch is a quick an easy process.

Seems a little hard to find the part new though.
        When I worked at a bike shop/yard I would see the mechanics take them apart all the time
        & swap parts between good & bad ones..Im sure it can be done.

Comment

• TwoSheds
          • Nov 2012

I've replaced dozens of them, they are available from any aftermarket supplier (drag, cci, bikers choice) stay away from the Chinese ones...I know I know I'm a racist asshole again. I have had luck with the " Standard" unit which as I check happens to be made in China WTF...must be at a nicer factory there or something. If you can't find one, I'll ship you one.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;