Delkron 1993 FXR/FLT primary to 1994-up FXR/FLT + primary drive interchange fun.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Delkron 1993 FXR/FLT primary to 1994-up FXR/FLT + primary drive interchange fun.

I had a 1993-earlier Delkron inner primary for my 1988 FXR I'm going to convert to the later transmission. My 1994 FXLR had a cracked inner primary so I bolted on the Delkron (after a bunch of grind/try/grind to fit a 25T trans pulley I got cheap and want to try for giggles).

Turns out that 1993 and 1994 starter jackshaft hole bores are different because the starter jackshaft was redesigned and the pinion tooth count is different too so I turned a bushing to make the 1994 parts work in the older style primary. I didn't expect them not to match where the large starter jackshaft coupling sits since I wasn't familiar with the jackshaft year differences. This solution beat ordering a special order 1994 Delkron inner primary, involves no harm to the primary, and you can go back to a 1993-size bushing if you ever need or want to for some reason.

I knocked out the included starter bushing from the Delkron with a punch as it was too shallow for my pullers to grab. If I were replacing the stock thin bushing I'd do the same trick as is done with tapered race mag wheels and grind a two round-bottom notches 180-degrees apart behind the bushing to get a much better bite with a punch when the next removal time comes. My custom bushing has thicker walls so case notching isn't required.

Found an old bronze bushing at my buds machine shop (save the big 'uns because you can make 'em into little 'uns) and made a nice thick adapter bushing.

Delkron starter bushing bore in primary inside diameter was 1.657"

Coupling diameter was 1.370". Mine's a bit worn and what's not worn is lightly corroded so measure yours.

Stock inner primary starter bushing thickness = .496" so I turned new one to .500 even for convenience.

Turned bushing outside diameter to 1.658 then polished down with emery cloth to get half a thousandth interference fit. (Emery cloth cuts quickly so if you are new to turning bushings be aware you can ruin a part easily!)

Bored bushing ID to 1.373" (in the "loose" fit range) since the stock fit was rather loose and I didn't want the new bush to bind the coupling.

Installed bushing by tapping it into primary with my UHMW-faced hammer. Don't bash brass or bronze with steel. Bushing drivers are nice but given the shallow depth I didn't bother making one.

Placed clutch basket on transmission shaft then engaged starter (without power, safety first!) by using my pushbutton 'noid cap. Pinion gear engages as it should. If you lack a pushbutton noid cap you can remove the stock end cap then push the noid in with a plastic screwdriver handle. Inspect your contacts if you have the cap off.

The 1993-style Delkron primary is plentiful so you can hunt the best price vs a special order 1994-up primary. One-click order and done.

The other interesting bit is that if you want to use the 1994 and later primary drive setup on a 1993 and earlier stock Harley with the same style starter you can just make the bushing and have at it if you have the later jackshaft kit and starter motor or otherwise sort out the jackshaft bolt thread differences.

I defer to the primary drive ratio gurus on the best ratio and parts combo but making a simple sleeve bushing beat having to hunt or wait for an inner primary and you don't have to remove the primary to remove the old bushing and install the new one. It's an easy job.

As with any such machining measure YOUR parts first then make the bushing accordingly. You can cut to "metal positive" before hitting my dimensions then final machine to yours.

There may be a standard bushing close enough to these dimensions to modify, or perhaps a matchup in MSC or McMaster-Carr but this was free, easy and fast.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by farmall; 05-21-2015, 4:04 PM.
  • PhilB
    • May 2015

Beauty, well-done.

Comment

• Mike148
      • Aug 2017

I just finished the same swap. I put a 1994 complete primary into a 1989 primary. I noticed the ID on the old inner bushing was within .025 of OD of 94 busing. I honed old bushing with a brake cylinder hone to a press fit. Skf seal 6916 sealed back of coupler shaft in inner primary. I made a 1/4-20 bolt into a sleeve with 10-32 internal threads red loctite keeps it in place. Outer primary requires a little grinding for clearance. Made outer bushing from 5/8x 1 x2 bronze bushing cut to .693 x 1 x 3/4.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Now Delkron is dead so it's a way to use what you find. Their website remains but their foundry is done and tooling worn out. Cometic bought them.

From Turboprop who is pretty sharp:
        I have a connection. Good friends with Jason Moses that runs the Delkron portion of the business. They will not be going into production unless someone buys the business and invests a ton of money. The tooling (dies) are shot. The foundry dropped them, had them move their stuff out of the building. At Cometic, the Delkron portion is being squeezed out to make more room for the gasket business. Delkron is done. The issue is the trans cases. Alternatives have been found for the inner primary. The trans case will be an issue. Delkron was also supplying trans cases to Baker and Jims. RevTech is making FXR trans cases. Billy at STD could bring back the STD FXR trans case. The lack of trans cases is just one more reason for the TC conversion.

Have said it countless times already, but the TC/FXR conversion is pretty easy and does not require any real fab work, maybe an exhaust mount.

An oil pan from Deviant Fabrications, a TC engine only wiring harness from Wire-Plus and an inner primary mod from Fab Kevin and the whole thing simply bolts together.

The best bet for new FXR specific trans cases will be Billy at STD. The inner primary case from Ted at V-Twin is pretty nice and fits very well.
        I disagree on the trans being the stumbling block until used later bagger cases with integral oil tank dry up which will be a long time. Bagger box conversion is a nice upgrade requiring little fab, just crossmember mods. I did my '88 to get rid of the shit starter and taper shaft box in one shot. Love it, and it will never wet sump. A removable crossmember to drop the pan with trans in place is easy to fab from scrap. All it cost was the bolts and washers.

Some autists think modding the crossmember is like cutting up a vintage Panhead frame neck but that's retarded since function isn't compromised, maintenance access is improved, and you can't see it unless you crawl under the motorcycle. It also prepares the frame for any other engine swap including TC you might do in future. The same people cheerfully discard the rest of the motorcycle but "muh frame is sacred".

As for high dollar TC oil pans, fuck dropping $1,140.00 on an oil pan to save a few cents worth of box tubing which will prevent you from dropping your new oil pan without a transmission pull. That's more money for a lesser outcome.

People scared to weld on frames seem odd to me. If Norton owners can mod classic Featherbeds for other engines a crossmember on an FXR isn't shit.
        Last edited by farmall; 08-25-2017, 6:30 AM.

Comment

• Mike148
          • Aug 2017

I put a splined mainshaft in my 89 trans cost $200 plus bearings and seals for trans.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

That's good idea if the stock starter does the job, and not a bad idea for someone with a spare trans as FXR parts become less available.

Comment

• Mike148
              • Aug 2017

Already had newer 92 starter installed. Seems to strain less with 102 tooth ring gear just needed bushing to go from 1/4-20 to 10-32.

Comment

• Mike148
                • Aug 2017

Along with complete 94 jackshaft assembly.

Comment

• Mike148
                  • Aug 2017

Been riding this for a week. Never again will I even consider a belt primary. All those parts work better in an oil bath much quieter less grabby smoother. 102 tooth ring gear starts 88" S&S with 9.5:1 compression much easier. Had a brute III was not cheap to maintain.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;