Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CHEN
    • Sep 2009

Cornering in Avon mk2's

So I was ripping through a corner the other day; because I like to pretend that all my bikes, including my Knuckle, are super race bikes and can handle accelerating through a turn while leaning hard into it, and I just broke through the grip of my rear Avon SM mk2.

In slow motion I felt the bike about to go into a low-side dump, so instinctually I threw my right foot down on the floor and was somehow able to keep myself upright. I know that the tire isn't meant to perform in corners, but the thing is, now I'm super paranoid about leaning into any kind of turns at any kind of speed on the bike. So paranoid, that I'm planning on swapping out for a tire that can let me ride how I like to. Any tire recommendations for something that won't look completely out of place on the knuckle chop, but still be able to handle somewhat aggressive riding? I've heard the dunlop TT100 and Avon AM20 are worth looking into. If anyone has any other recommendations, other than to stop riding my bike like an idiot, they'd be greatly appreciated.
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

I've run Avons AMs since the 1980s and put them on all my Harleys. They are excellent predictable tires. I used to do MSF safety course demos with my FXR and added a "violent countersteering demo" where I grounded both sides of the bike to point out how hard you can sling a motorcycle in an emergency. You couldn't go wrong with the Avons. I've not tried the Dunlops.

If anyone has any other recommendations, other than to stop riding my bike like an idiot, they'd be greatly appreciated.
    Say "fuck it" and hang the current sticky sportbike tires du jour on that Knuck to see how hard you can really push it, then post video.

Comment

• Shacknasty
      • Jul 2010

I really like the Bridgestone Spitfires I'm running on my Ironhead. metzlers on the Shovel. Both bikes get ridden hard and nary a slip in the twisty stuff...

Comment

• Badassbrutus
        • Sep 2009

I like Pirelli's Route 66 tires got em on my 65 Pan.. second set and I can lay it right down in the twisties and they don't wear out as fast as the avons

Comment

• 0BLCKTJ6
          • Mar 2012

I ran the metzler marathons on my last whip and I ised to beat the piss out of it, not troubles in the twisties, tread pattern was ugly as sin but the hook up and stay hooked up, plus the life on em was pretty decent and they aren't a bad price.

Comment

• seaking
            • Jul 2013

How long have they been on there? They do get slick pretty fast.

I was on the third season last year and swapped mine to Bridgestone Spitfire 11R's. The last month of fall I came in hot and slid into a roundabout, nowhere near as fast as my other sporty with new rubber, then later that week it got slick by a quarry pile on what looked like nothing in the road. That was enough for me....I get into more trouble on old tires.

Comment

• Blackbetty
              • Apr 2011

My chopper is a little sketchy w the mk2's on hard turns. I tend to keep air pressure up a little though. Obviously worse in the winter when the tire is hard as a rock.

Any tire will let go given the right circumstances. Keep on rippin!

Comment

• 47str8leg
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by CHEN
                So I was ripping through a corner the other day; because I like to pretend that all my bikes, including my Knuckle, are super race bikes and can handle accelerating through a turn while leaning hard into it, and I just broke through the grip of my rear Avon SM mk2.

In slow motion I felt the bike about to go into a low-side dump, so instinctually I threw my right foot down on the floor and was somehow able to keep myself upright. I know that the tire isn't meant to perform in corners, but the thing is, now I'm super paranoid about leaning into any kind of turns at any kind of speed on the bike. So paranoid, that I'm planning on swapping out for a tire that can let me ride how I like to. Any tire recommendations for something that won't look completely out of place on the knuckle chop, but still be able to handle somewhat aggressive riding? I've heard the dunlop TT100 and Avon AM20 are worth looking into. If anyone has any other recommendations, other than to stop riding my bike like an idiot, they'd be greatly appreciated.
                If you've already had good tires on other bikes why are you asking ? You already know the names of all the tire manufacturers to find out what they offer. You already knew avon mk II,s were what they were BEFORE you put them on there. This is a post by a blithering idiot.

Comment

• boomboomthump
                  • Oct 2013

Blithering idiot for asking if anyone has any other tire recommendations besides the ones he's considering?

The point was that he's asking if there's any other "vintage" style tires that would look better on his knuckle and perform better than the Avon before he goes the route of the tires he mentioned.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by boomboomthump
                    Blithering idiot for asking if anyone has any other tire recommendations besides the ones he's considering?

The point was that he's asking if there's any other "vintage" style tires that would look better on his knuckle and perform better than the Avon before he goes the route of the tires he mentioned.
                    Go to motorcycle super store and look up all the tires they have, then , if some interest you, ask about their performance. He already knew the avons weren't performance tires when he put them on , any idiot could have figured that out while they were building their bike.

Comment

• CHEN
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by 47str8leg
                      Go to motorcycle super store and look up all the tires they have, then , if some interest you, ask about their performance. He already knew the avons weren't performance tires when he put them on , any idiot could have figured that out while they were building their bike.
                      True

Sometimes, instead of doing it all on your own, its nice to ask other people and have a conversation about it; thats all.

Comment

• 0BLCKTJ6
                        • Mar 2012

I feel like you're getting unnecessarily bent out of shape about this haha, the dude was just asking for tire recommendations, who gives a fuck?

BTT: the Coker Firestone replicas look as though they would perform between than the MKII's while still having an old school look, they aren't nearly as squared up as the Avons are, but they do cost a pretty penny...

Firestone Deluxe Champion Motorcycle Tires | Firestone Champion Deluxe Like many of the tires we offer, Firestone Deluxe Champion Motorcycle tires serve two purposes. It's an authentic tire for American motorcycle restorations from the 1930s and '40s, and it also appeals to custom motorcycle builders seeking the vintage look. The deep tread and smooth sidewall with raised black Firestone lettering is perfect for many styles of motorcycles, from stock Harley Davidsons to modified Honda, BSA, Triumph and many more! Restored classics, choppers, bobbers, cafe racers and much more. This tire covers it all and is available in seven sizes to fit 16-, 18- and 19-inch wheels. Sometimes called Firestone Champion Deluxe in other parts of the world, these tires are becoming insanely popular with custom bike builders everywhere.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 0BLCKTJ6
                          I feel like you're getting unnecessarily bent out of shape about this haha, the dude was just asking for tire recommendations, who gives a fuck?

BTT: the Coker Firestone replicas look as though they would perform between than the MKII's while still having an old school look, they aren't nearly as squared up as the Avons are, but they do cost a pretty penny...

https://www.cokertire.com/500-16-fir...wall-tire.html
                          O.K. , I'll take a different tack on this. IF this is on a rigid frame your only going to get so much lean until you hit the frame. The Avon mark II is a tall tire MOST performance tires have lower side walls so two things will come apparent.

A) The height between your tire and fender will change (some guys are very particular about this. )

B) The shorter tire will increase your grip but change your gearing and lessen your turn angle before the frame hits the ground.

If you find a tire which keeps the height the same, gives you the tread pattern w/ more performance your looking for , you still have to worry about tire expansion if it is a tight fit between a tail.lt. or license plate holder or top of a close fitting fender. Different manufactures and compounds in their tires may cause the tire to hit the chain on the sidewalls causing' a diamond pattern or the old top of the fender seat bolt from carving a line down the center of the tire. so be careful what you wish for....you might get it.

Comment

• Grantman
                            • Aug 2012

O.K. , I'll take a different tack on this. IF this is on a rigid frame your only going to get so much lean until you hit the frame. The Avon mark II is a tall tire MOST performance tires have lower side walls so two things will come apparent.

A) The height between your tire and fender will change (some guys are very particular about this. )

B) The shorter tire will increase your grip but change your gearing and lessen your turn angle before the frame hits the ground.

If you find a tire which keeps the height the same, gives you the tread pattern w/ more performance your looking for , you still have to worry about tire expansion if it is a tight fit between a tail.lt. or license plate holder or top of a close fitting fender. Different manufactures and compounds in their tires may cause the tire to hit the chain on the sidewalls causing' a diamond pattern or the old top of the fender seat bolt from carving a line down the center of the tire. so be careful what you wish for....you might get it.
                            Now that was an answer. I was wondering if you'd heard the "the only stupid question is one you don't ask" line before. I ask questions that may sound dumb sometimes, but if I am not 110% sure about something that my life depends on I am gonna ask, no matter how stupid the question sounds. I learned the hard way that pricier isn't necessarily better, now (some) peoples personal experience here means a lot more to me than some paid reviewer on a website I've never heard of.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;