2004 XL1200 Ignition Control Module Flash Issue (Hardtailing downward spiral)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theonepapa
    • May 2013

2004 XL1200 Ignition Control Module Flash Issue (Hardtailing downward spiral)

Hello,

Photo of the non runner:

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1338219

Back story -- Bike started as a 2004 XL1200. Many years of cutting things off ect.
    Recently hardtailed / deleted alot more. Bike ran good, started good, rode all over.
    No electronics on the bars, starter button on the starter, no signal module ect.
    Now welcome to last month, no start right after riding. Tow it home -- bike tries to start on 1 cylinder, ok toss a coil at it.. nothing.
    Order up a new Ignition control module from the dealer, I read it has to be programmed ect ect they are clueless and says it doesn't.
    Plug it in, nothing (as we all know). Take it to the dealer to get programmed -- Get a call from the tech.

"Hey you deleted your run switch , turn signal module, ect ect... my system will not connect to your bike with the current set up. You will need to
    re install all of those components with a new harness"

Before I tear this thing all back down -- which is the best way to go?

1. Can I go with a Pre 04 (2001 1200) harness / ICM and be ok? Leave everything the same and wire in what I need to run. (Pre 04 ICM's do not need to be programmed -- hence it should work)

2. Can I just splice in the older ICM? Connector to my current harness?

3. Order up a Datona twin tech-- will these work on a simple wiring set up? (In theory they don't need to be programmed)

4. Grab another 2004 harness, turn signal module, all bar controls (Run/ Kill) ect and wire then im with quick connects so the dealer can have a full loop in electrons and flash my
    current new ICM?

Thanks for any input.
  • pig
    • Feb 2012

Can they flash it on another 04?

Finding a used one would probably be difficult, we do that with cars at my shop all the time. Well, with some.

I'm curious what you find, I have an 04 xl1200 also that has been cut up and soon to be hardtailed. I don't want to deal with this. A good aftermarket ICM would be nice, programmable a plus.

Comment

• theonepapa
      • May 2013

Update:

I went with my #3 option, ordered up a TC88A. It's currently in the mail and hoping this will solve the issue. (They do not need to be programmed)

@Pig the dealer said that they need to be programmed to the exact bike, I spoke to the tech and brought up that same question..

So far I have found that removing the turn signal module, kill switch and some other things (which we all remove) interrupt the J1850 data bus which they need to diag and program the bike ect.

Still working on a way to get the data bus back up and running as a loop on the bike if the TC88A doesn't work for what I need.

Comment

• pig
        • Feb 2012

Yeah, after I typed I actually thought about it and figured it wouldn't work. I still have the tsm on my bike just unpinned all the wires I didn't need coming out of it. I'm curious to see how the new ignition works out, if it does.

Comment

• mreed
          • Dec 2010

The Dynatek will definitely eliminate the need for the TSSM. I use them on rubbermounts quite often to either convert from EFI to carb or to just clean up the wiring. I can't say if it will fix your initial problem though.

Comment

• theonepapa
            • May 2013

Ok that's good to hear. Hoping to receive it soon..

Comment

• pig
              • Feb 2012

Did the ignition work out for ya?

Comment

• theonepapa
                • May 2013

sorry man, I've been out of town.

Put in the new module, cranks on both cylinders now -- but still a no start.

After this weekend I'm going to be tearing the bike back down and sorting through all of the wiring once more.

I'll update with info

Comment

• mattressking
                  • Jan 2015

Waln was telling me about this, are you getting spark now? Or just starter turning.

Comment

• daroberts3
                    • Dec 2012

You cannot run a "nosecone "ignition(as in 1998-2003XL) on a 2004 or later bike, there is nothing behind the "timer" cover.
                    It IS POSSIBLE to manually reflash an ICM, I have done it. You need to toggle the ignition switch and turn signal switches in a particular timed sequence. It takes about a half hour. Look on XLforum for the exact procedure.
                    As a side note the procedure can also be done on EFI bikes that have " lost communication". Just did a 2005 FLHTI that mysteriously lost communication after being towed...wouldn't start, no spark. Manually reflashed and BAM, started right away.

Comment

• IronheadVic
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by daroberts3
                      You cannot run a "nosecone "ignition(as in 1998-2003XL) on a 2004 or later bike, there is nothing behind the "timer" cover.
                      It IS POSSIBLE to manually reflash an ICM, I have done it. You need to toggle the ignition switch and turn signal switches in a particular timed sequence. It takes about a half hour. Look on XLforum for the exact procedure.
                      As a side note the procedure can also be done on EFI bikes that have " lost communication". Just did a 2005 FLHTI that mysteriously lost communication after being towed...wouldn't start, no spark. Manually reflashed and BAM, started right away.

Hate to play 'gotcha', but I know someone who runs a nose cone ignition on a 2004 by running a 2000-2003 cam cover.

Comment

• mreed
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by IronheadVic
                        Hate to play 'gotcha', but I know someone who runs a nose cone ignition on a 2004 by running a 2000-2003 cam cover.
                        Me too. Dude named Pablo

Comment

• pig
                          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by theonepapa
                          sorry man, I've been out of town.

Put in the new module, cranks on both cylinders now -- but still a no start.

After this weekend I'm going to be tearing the bike back down and sorting through all of the wiring once more.

I'll update with info
                          Well when you do figure it out at least you will be able to "tune" your ignition a little. I was checking out the Twin Tec ICMs after I read this and now I gotta have one.

Comment

• daroberts3
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by IronheadVic
                            And the right cam to allow bolting up the trigger cup, etc. etc.
                            Anything is possible within enough money and the right tools.

Comment

• Sky
                              • Aug 2009

Just converted a 91 road king to carb from injection. Had to order the carbed harness and a dynateck module. The instructions had a note about having to ground out a wire if something or other was eliminated. Wasn't an issue for me so I don't remember which wire or why.
                              My point? Double check the install sheet. You might have missed something simple. Good luck.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;