Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noblegiant77
    • May 2015

81 shovelhead starter lever question

so i just bought one of those starter levers that gets rid of the starter solenoid. so mechanically its installed but now i have to wire it up. the problem is it requires the original starter relay along with the new additional one. so in any case i go to wire it up and noticed i dont have a bosch style relay or any for that matter. the bike is a 81 flhp that is very much not stock. i bought someone elses tricked out project. in anycase i was just going to the "ford glow plug relay" that ive read about but i dont know how to wire it. or if i could use the relay that they made me buy with the kit. only thing is i have no idea where to hook up the wire that goes from the starter lever to the #86 terminal on the original starter relay heres how it is suppose to be wired up.

as stated by bike does not have the bosch style relay that is shown in the picture. im not sure why it doesnt have it i assume the previous owner got rid of it.

• Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Somewhere here on Chop Cult is a thread that I stated using one of those...

Many members made pertinent comments on how to go about wiring it up....

I tried to find the thread, but didn't have much luck doing so...

.................................................. .................................................. ........

Well I'll be dipped in shit and covered with feathers .... I found it....!!

This Aftermarket Gizmo takes the place of the handlebar starter button... ??? Installing it on a 73 FLH.... Will work on 65 to 88 year models.... Wonder how well it works..... ??? Soon to find out.....

You may find what your needing to know .... Good luck in your quest...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 05-10-2015, 9:32 AM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

This has been covered before, Dragstews had a thread about one recently.
      Basicaly, the lever switch throws the little ford bi-metal relay, that throws the big solenoid style(bosh) relay, that feeds the starter.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0136.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	1282356
      Don't run the lever switch without the little relay, it can't handle the amp draw of the tractor relay for long
      Last edited by Sky; 05-10-2015, 9:37 AM.

Comment

• noblegiant77
        • May 2015

great thank you i guess ill have to buy a bosch style relay since the previous owner removed it

Comment

• Shacknasty
          • Jul 2010

I still like the feeler gauge (or hacksaw blade if you prefer) when I don't feel like kicking the old bitch. No need for a relay or a bunch of wiring. I still have burn marks on my old Buck Ranger from using that to bridge the posts on the solenoid...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;