Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sinks88
    • Oct 2012

18" outer rim and tire set ups for Scrambler/Tracker builds

Any of you guys play around with these setups? My current tracker project is sorely missing an 18" rear and I want to make sure I do the right thing. I know I can get some Excel from Buchanan's....but is that the best choice? Any info would be great!

• sinks88
    • Oct 2012

Anyone have messed with these:?

Comment

• dirtster
      • Aug 2014

I have not messed with that rim. I was going to go the 17" rear route. lot of options and it gives a nice look. but I got an rear 18" mag AMF rim. I like the mag as opposed to spoke as it is less maintenance. but I like the look of your bike. I am headed the same direction. What bars are those? are they the burly or biltwell? I mean a set of the excel are gonna be about $800 after all said and done.

Comment

• sinks88
        • Oct 2012

Burly bars.

Have you seen Rusty Butcher (Justin's) bike?

Comment

• teamcurtis
          • Jan 2015

info for your choice....
          Since you have the hub already Id go with a 17" as you will have a lot more tire options. Id also do aluminum to save weight, and that's what most dirt bikes use anyway
          I don't have a spoke hub and couldn't find anyone to make me a 17" wheel for south of 650 bucks. So i went DNA 18" billet hub steel rim

Interesting side note. I run a 100/90 19 front and a 130/80 18 rear. Completely by luck that ends up making both wheels 26.1" So it should give the bike a rather balanced look

(that link for RCYA...at 295 with the spokes, that's not saving much bread vs what i had a built wheel shipped to my door for)
          Last edited by teamcurtis; 05-08-2015, 9:27 AM.

Comment

• teamcurtis
            • Jan 2015

tires

I took A LOT of time looking up tire sizes and choices. There are so many cool adv tires in 18 and 17" wheels that only have matching front of 21" (if you care that your rubber is matched)
            I wanted to stay at the stock width at the rear as a adventure bike and wide rears dont make sense to me.

If you go 17" this tire looks tits

has the look, but a nice thick center block that wouldn't rattle your teeth out till you get to the dirt or snow.

I should have mine mounted so you can see the overall look and stance by middle of next week (rubber arrives on Tuesday)

Comment

• dirtster
              • Aug 2014

yeah i have seen Rusty's bike, nice. only thing I would change is how high I sit up on the bike, he looks like he sat a little low in the saddle to be comfy on long back roads and what not. I will also be putting in some pre load adjusters and progressive springs. maybe try to cut weight by getting a lithium battery and some other stuff. yeah I got a 17" alum rim but it is 4.5" a lil too wide to look good on the sporty. yeah, like team Curtis is saying 17" laced are kinda pricy. that is why I went with the amf mag 18".

Comment

• sinks88
                • Oct 2012

I was thinking of maybe going the mag route....but its all about $.

If any of you would like to sell your old hub...let me know....I think I would like to do this to a completely different hub, so I could go back and forth (if I hated it)

Comment

• tobiism
                  • Aug 2009

I am currently building a scrambler. Im in the same dilemma as you. I finally decided on a 19 inch rear tire and 21 inch front. I think this bike will mostly see dirt time.
                  Im just going to build the wheels myself. Saves a ton of money that way. Ill use Harley hub rear, yamaha hub up front.
                  The hoops and spokes themselves are not THAT expensive to buy, and building them yourself saves a ton.
                  I love the look of that 18 inch rear mag, but mags are NO good in the desert.

Comment

• sinks88
                    • Oct 2012

I like where you are going! Right now Im on a hunt for the hub!

Comment

• teamcurtis
                      • Jan 2015

my wheel was 400 to the door.
                      with spokes at around 150, a rim around 150-200 and then a used hub i was already knocking on 400

why not re-lace the hub you have now?

$125 hub

just saw this 18" spoke for $313!

Comment

• sinks88
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by teamcurtis
                        my wheel was 400 to the door.
                        with spokes at around 150, a rim around 150-200 and then a used hub i was already knocking on 400

why not re-lace the hub you have now?

$125 hub

just saw this 18" spoke for $313!
                        http://www.kcint2.com/product/90-183...2000-2004.html

I possibly will, but my 16s got brand new rubber and Id like to swap em....thanks for the links! I wish it was a bit narrower. I want to run a 120 0r 130 at the max.

Comment

• teamcurtis
                          • Jan 2015

you can run a 130 on a 3.5" depending on the tire. most of the DS tires i was looking at has a 3.5 rim within spec for a 130 width

Comment

• sinks88
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by teamcurtis
                            you can run a 130 on a 3.5" depending on the tire. most of the DS tires i was looking at has a 3.5 rim within spec for a 130 width
                            Im trying to run this guy: 120/80-18....Its a really good tire for the urban jungle I live in....but they dont make a 130 for it. I think 140 will hit my belt.

The Pirelli MT 90 AT Dual Sport Tires are made with large central knobs for straight riding stability and general V-shape orientation for high adheren…

Comment

• teamcurtis
                              • Jan 2015

yeah that tire defn calls for a 3.0 rim

page 206

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;