Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattyasian
    • Feb 2014

63' Panhead Pushrods

Have a 63' Pan with an Andrew's BH grind cam and solid lifters, all the pushrods seem to go in fine except for the front exhaust valve ones. It seems like there's not enough gap between the lifter block and the rocker arm. even if it did fit between the lifter block the actual lifter would still be in the way, can anyone help me?! is there a certain set of pushrods i need?
  • nmaineron
    • Nov 2010

that is the last pushrod that you should have a problem with,Normally that is the longest rod and there is usually way more room than you need.I was thinking that you may have stroker rods but if you got the others in then you must have something going on with that lifter,are you at the bottom of the stroke so the lifter is in the lowest position...

Comment

• Mattyasian
      • Feb 2014

Yeah I put the Pistons at TDCC when all the valves should be closed and it wouldn't fit, if I bought another one of the smaller ones and got it in there would that work or are the rods not interchangeable like that?

Comment

• Sky
        • Aug 2009

There is no point where all the valves(4) are closed at the same time. Make sure the lifter in question is on the heel of the cam.
        Re-read or re-watch a how-to.
        Are your adjusters in the lifters or on the pushrods? Sometimes you can use a pair of needle nose to "help" the pushrod pop into the adjuster cup.

Comment

• Mattyasian
          • Feb 2014

I meant all the valves on the front head but the adjustments are on the pushrods and I have it all the way to its smallest point, I'm thinking of just getting another shorter pushrod that'll fit in there no problem. Thanks for all the feedback really appreciate it!

Comment

• lilmad
            • Jan 2011

pushrods are different lengths

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

I wonder ... "IF" your dealing with a valve seat that has been sunk from many valve jobs done in the past... ???
              This will cause fits with the rocker arm being further down on the pushrod side not allowing the pushrod to load in the ball cup of the lifter...

Max speck for valve stem protrusion is 1.545 ....
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Mattyasian
                • Feb 2014

I'm really hoping that's not the case haha. I just got a valve job on them, ya think that's something the machine shop would have seen?

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Not sure that the machine shop would know the specks for set up on a Pan head....??

If they do alot of them they should....

I have a swap-meet tool that I pack with me along with a new valve... This gizmo will let me see if the head still has life in it without the need to do a seat replacement....

If the valve stem sticks out any at all, tells me that the seats have been grounded beyond the Max protrusion....

Fast way of knowing if the seats are good to go a few more miles.....

Can always pop a new seat in the heads (A bit of work and parts to get back to min. protrusion) or oversize valve heads will pick up the numbers some.....

The exhaust is no problem to install a seat insert in.... The intakes will need some welding on the floor of the port for added support....

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1785.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	1282338

Back to setting tall once again.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Dragstews; 05-09-2015, 5:38 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mattyasian
                    I'm really hoping that's not the case haha. I just got a valve job on them, ya think that's something the machine shop would have seen?

Did you have a car machine shop do the work??

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Tattooo

Did you have a car machine shop do the work??
                      Think that I would be giving them a call and ask them what was the valve stem protrusion speck after they attained a good seat..
                      This very well could be the reason for the problem your having....????

Gotta say for the amount of work and parts that it would take to reclaim stock heads, this would be a sweet deal....

All the new tricks in the book are already in these...

You get Shovel intake valves, uses the Y intake manifold of the Shovel's, also Shovel rocker arms, Shovel exhaust pipes with the bolt is a nice plus...

Guess the bad part of this up-grade package is the need for Shovel jugs and outside oil-line...
                      (Think your year model Pan has the outside oil-line...??)

If you did do this... Welcome to the new age of Panheads...

.................................................. .................................................. ..........

Well Shoot.....

As long as I'm dreaming a bit here, might as well dream a little more....

Being jugs would be needed for the P-Series heads, let's add a few cubies to the mix...
                      And being it's an 63 model it can handle the Big Bore and some added stroke, nothing wild and crazy, say keep it long life with going with a 4-1/2"... only would be needing the flywheels, all the old parts in the crank assembly can be reuse... Piston's would come with the Big Bore Kit for the stroke of choice....

... 93 inch with that stroke and 3-5/8 bore....
                      ............ Whoa.... What a Dream ..............

Time to wake up...... Dang this Campaign taste and a Beer budget.....!!!!!

............................................... .............................................
                      Last edited by Dragstews; 05-09-2015, 5:37 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;