Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 666bigtrash
    • Feb 2013

Straightening a frame ?

how should i go about straightening this can i throw some heat to it and bend it back or is it more complicated than that

• NeoDutch
    • Aug 2009

Cut out the gussets. Straighten it. Heat will help. Weld in new gussets.

Comment

• KeysRyder
      • Oct 2014

A tree and a come along or ratchet strap should do it. I am not being smart, did it before with an 89 chevy beretta, and a banshee both coincedentaly hit trees lol
      Last edited by KeysRyder; 04-28-2015, 5:08 AM.

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
        • Sep 2011

For starters get the frame in a proper fixture and level it out

The biggest thing with straightening frames and doing repair work is getting a solid base line to start and pull measurements off of etc.

Once you have a good base line and know the measurements the actual frame is at and the actual measurement of where you need to get it you can start to fix it.

If you don't have a lot of distance to go than yes some heat and pulling is acceptable to get it back into to shape.

Comment

• 70schop
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by SyndicateChoppers
          For starters get the frame in a proper fixture and level it out

The biggest thing with straightening frames and doing repair work is getting a solid base line to start and pull measurements off of etc.

Once you have a good base line and know the measurements the actual frame is at and the actual measurement of where you need to get it you can start to fix it.

If you don't have a lot of distance to go than yes some heat and pulling is acceptable to get it back into to shape.
          ^^^this^^^
          I straightened the rear section of a wrecked Electra glide that was shifted 1 3/4" without heat. Ratchet straps and a come along.

Comment

• UncleMonkey
            • Jan 2012

My eyes aren't the straightest and it could very well be the picture and the way it is sitting but it looks like that frame has a lot more problems than the crooked neck. So now my question is why are you fixing the frame? Is it rare original, belonged to your grandpappy, etc than go ahead and fix it otherwise I would cough up the $700 and buy a new frame.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

You could use it for practice and if it doesn't work out you got some experience out of the job.

Gotta learn on something. That's why they make fat chicks.

Comment

• DustyDave
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

To quote my dad "you won't learn any younger and it ain't no good like it is! Get to work dammit!"
                Dusty
                Driving that train, high on cocaine
                Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                  • Apr 2010

Get that frame on a solid metal base and pull it into the proper configuration. Try to stay away from heat, Good luck, keep us posted.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Pics online of frame tables are plentiful but there are few of any custom tools to manipulate the frames.

Any cool tools from the CC hive mind?

Comment

• 666bigtrash
                      • Feb 2013

well it worked as far as i can tell by eye theres defiantly nothing precise about it but fuck it im gonna run it. as you can see u just used some ratchet straps tightened the fuck outta them and put a little bit of heat on it

Comment

• Smiley
                        • Jun 2012

Maybe it's the camera but it looks to me like the neck is straight and the rest of the frame is tweaked transversely, like it got twisted around the rear axle and torqued by about three quarters of an inch. If that's the case you need to get it on a frame table to figure out exactly where the deformation actually exists.

Comment

• KeysRyder
                          • Oct 2014

If your happy thats all that matters. I think a lot of people over think it! And you will hear the ohh hell no I would never ride that blah blah blah. It is not like your going to be on the road course in daytona doing 100mph through sweeping corners. Sure you will be fine! Ohh and a digital protractor is a good investment on stuff like that. It is what I used to make sure all my shit was straight on my build, seemed to work pretty good.

Comment

• 666bigtrash
                            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Smiley
                            Maybe it's the camera but it looks to me like the neck is straight and the rest of the frame is tweaked transversely, like it got twisted around the rear axle and torqued by about three quarters of an inch. If that's the case you need to get it on a frame table to figure out exactly where the deformation actually exists.

yea i see what your talkin about. thats just the picture

Comment

• outlawTA
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by 666bigtrash
                              well it worked as far as i can tell by eye theres defiantly nothing precise about it but fuck it im gonna run it. as you can see u just used some ratchet straps tightened the fuck outta them and put a little bit of heat on it

Honestly, This is my new favorite picture on the 33. So great

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;