CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 66 T120 Clutch Problem

I need some help guys. I'm not getting any engagement of the clutch. I began by trying to adjust at the lever. I pull and get nothing. Then I tried adjusting and readjusting at the clutch lock nut and screw and I still get nothing. I pulled the kicker cover to see if the actuator was working properly and it seems to be in working order so I decided to try manually pushing the clutch push rod and it won't budge. I pulled the clutch pressure plates and clutch plates, cleaned the plates and put it all back together carefully tightening each spring nut a little at a time in attempt to keep the plate somewhat even as I thought this may have been the original issue. After all of this the pressure plate still doesn't give when I try to engage. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Could the clutch springs be too powerful not allowing the rod to push the plate? Any help would be AWESOME!

Get Adobe Flash player

The clutch should be engaged at rest, pulling in the lever should disengage it(plates apart). Semantics.
    You should be able to overpower even tight springs.
    When the pressure plate was off, did the rod move freely? If not, it's stuck.
    Can you move the lever at all when everything is assembled?

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey Sky. Engage vs disengage, I got you. The clutch lever pulled about 1/4" just about to the point of where the clutch rod actuator made contact with the clutch rod. Then it wouldn't pull anymore. With the pressure plate off the rod moves freely and isn't bent. The springs are the original springs from when I bought it and worked just fine so I didn't think they were overpowered. The symptoms just seem like the plate won't move due to the springs.

Get Adobe Flash player

it sounds like you have the early clutch cable mechanism there. (1967 and below)

if you look at the area right where the cable goes into the cases you will see where the cable ball holder hits the cable stop as the cable is pulled up. that stops the clutch from getting total cable pull.

loosen up the hand lever completely and re-adjust the clutch rod adjuster all the way until it contacts the cable mechanism, then take up the slack at the hand lever.

sometimes you need to shorten the part of the cable stop that goes into the tube so it doesn't hit the ball holder as it comes up.
    Last edited by Torch; 04-23-2015 at 7:02 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks torch. I'll give that a shot. Quick question. With the kicker cover off should I be able to push the rod in by hand against the pressure plate and disengage the clutch?

Get Adobe Flash player

Not without the mechanical advantage of the lever and mechanism
    Torch has most likely got you fixed

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey guys. Readjusted the pushrod and then at the cable and Fixed. I guess I was over thinking the process and thought I should be able to physically move the pushrod by hand with the kicker cover off but you guys were right. Thanks again for your help.

Share This