Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bozi
    • Dec 2009

Ill still say we take a pool on the first test ride, weasther you will run over, flatten something, or impale yourself.

It will be so cool to see that thing fire & be ridden. You & Matt side by side will be a sight.

Comment

• Psychophilly666
      • Feb 2010

You seem to care ENTIERLY TOO MUCH about what other people think. Cool build though.

Comment

• convergecult
        • Mar 2010

Turbochargers are fun and terrifying at the same time. I can't wait to see where this goes....

Comment

• metricmofo
          • Jan 2010

kick ass, john!

Comment

• HWC
            • Aug 2009

gawd damn John,,u runnin outta MC forums to post on or what??? HAHHAHA
            get off the puter ,, quit dicken around an finish the fuckin thing already!!! lol

Comment

• junkyardjon
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by HWC
              gawd damn John,,u runnin outta MC forums to post on or what??? HAHHAHA
              get off the puter ,, quit dicken around an finish the fuckin thing already!!! lol
              yeah what he said LOL

Comment

• JLeather
                • Dec 2009

Alright, some pics are up. Kicked the day off with a shop cleanup and a couple beers

Matt was doing some stuff on his bike, so I plastigaged the bottom end on mine. Nice new set of green shells

Laid a strip of green plastigage in each half. This is the top case, cuz you gotta do it all upside-down.

Managed to get it assembled, torqued, and pulled apart without moving anything.

~.0015" clearance across the board which is great.

After it was done I cleaned the plastigage off with brakleen and wiped the shells and crank with a bit of motor oil to keep 'em until I was ready to move on. I'm still waiting on primary rubbers for the clutch (last minute decision) so this is as far as the engine's gotten for now even though I do now have all the topend machine work done.

Comment

• JLeather
                  • Dec 2009

So, the tank mount was tricky to figure out. I wanted the backbone to be pretty clean looking, and with the tanks sitting so low on the frame I didn't have much I could do to make standard tabs without them looking really out of place. Matt and I hashed a few ideas out and ended up with this. Started by making a pair of bungs for recessed 5/16" capscrews.

While I worked on that, Matt drilled the backbone. That was the only drill I had with a 3/4" chuck in it

Here's one welded in and ground flush, with the capscrew in it.

With both of 'em in we made a set of tabs that bolt in place with clip-nuts so you don't need to get to them to tighten the whole thing down.

Comment

• JLeather
                    • Dec 2009

Blocked the first side up and tacked it down. It's 3/16" above the camchain cover. I might have to grind the corners down a bit on the final one, we'll see.

There's no pics of the in-between step but we made a set of tabs to hold the nuts in place (since they were welded to the other tank) and repeated the process of lining up and tacking. Here's the finished result of the two tanks.

All in all it was a real clean setup, just what I was hoping for. The two tabs aren't quite enough by themselves. They're plenty strong, but I'm worried about vibration so I need to hide a third mount underneath somewhere. Figure that out later. Here's how she stands for now.

Comment

• Bozi
                      • Dec 2009

Very cool John. The bikes taking on more of a nasty slick look, I like it. Glad you got the tank/frame thing nailed down & it looks like it was worth the effort.

Comment

• convergecult
                        • Mar 2010

Any ideas as to how much power you'll get out of this? Looking good.....

Comment

• Shoots
                          • Jan 2010

That thing is a beast, turbos are a blast.

Comment

• Bozi
                            • Dec 2009

I think John is shooting for 1 zillion hp......may have been 200hp , I cant remember.

Comment

• JLeather
                              • Dec 2009

Hard to say. I'll be easing my way up on the boost. Starting with just a couple pounds til the motor's good and broke in. Even then, I'll probably keep it down around 8-10psi for daily use although the kit is good for ~25psi. I got a mag article of a rayjay install on a modified Z1 and at 25 pounds of boost it was running 220hp to the rear wheel. That's out of a 1016, whereas mine's an 836. I'm aiming for somewhere around 100hp for daily use. Cranked up to full potential it oughta be up in the 175hp range, but who knows what'll break first

Comment

• convergecult
                                • Mar 2010

Finding that happy medium in between blasting around and blowing shit up is the key... can't wait to see a video clip!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;