Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • REV
    • Aug 2009

Dyna ignition for cb's, is it worth it?

been reading a lot about the dyna ignitions on cb750's and have heard a pretty much even split as to if its any good. usually the detractors dont say why it sucks, just that it does. but you never hear em say they would rather have points, so it cant be that bad.

since im trying to simplify and bullet proof my bike, i figure ill go with a rectifier/regulator combo and was looking into the dyna system.

any of you have experience with them? thanks!
  • Soames
    • Sep 2009

Some folks are putting GM coils on their cb's. I'm thinking about trying it out. As far as the Dyna systems, I've heard nothing but good things, most just bitch about the price (hence the GM coil mod).

link to it on another forum for DOHC CB's below:

Here's the list: GM# 10472401 AC Delco #D555 Fits: 2005-2008 BUICK ALLURE CX V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = 2 2005-2008 BUICK ALLURE CXL V6 3.8L

Comment

• JLeather
      • Dec 2009

Well, what are your goals? Is the motor stock? Are your coils bad? The point of running a Dyna is so you can run 3ohm coils for more spark, so you can fire off a hopped-up motor with more compression. IMO the Dynas have some reliability issues which has me sticking with points on any motor that I don't need to run 3ohm coils on. If you're sticking with stock coils, stick with points. They'll never leave you stranded, just gotta gap 'em at the start of the riding season.

Comment

• swellguy
        • Aug 2009

Lots of guys use the Honda Man ignition module with stock points and coils. They say the bike runs better than ever:

Comment

• deadman13
          • Aug 2009

"just gotta gap 'em at the start of the riding season. "

theres a season? i ride from jan 2 to jan 1. bikes are my only ride.

goal really is to have a bullet proof motor/bike. something i dont HAVE to carry a tool box full of shit just to get out of the state.

Comment

• landman76
            • Apr 2010

Dyna Ign.

I've had a Dyna ign. on the CB750 in my Avatar pic since 2002 and its been ridden to 13 states and back in the past 8 years. I had a rect go bad on me years back, but since then I switched to a combo reg/rect unit. I'm running a Martek Ign. in my other chop and dig it too.

Comment

• jpswino
              • Aug 2009

Only 13 states? lol

Comment

• CHEN
                • Sep 2009

I got both....can't really go wrong with either. Though I was actually forced to put points back onto my bike because one of my Dyna coils crapped out. Luckily it was still under warranty so I got a new coil....but after I switched to points, it felt like my bike was hauling ass a lot harder than it had been.

...maybe it was just me being really happy to be back on the bike that day though haha

Either way, I kept the points and stock coils in there, despite having a new coil to put on

Comment

• freewheelin
                  • Feb 2010

Dyna makes awesome ignitions, it's the only thing I throw on KZ's and CB's. You can look at it 2 ways. One, it's better then points. Since points and condensors have about 10 different ways to screw up and leave you stranded. Two, it might have less ways to break then points but when it does you can't use roadside smarts and mcgiver skills to putt home.

If it was my bike I'd go with the Dyna Ignition. Also if your stock coils are fine don't worry about getting matching Dyna coils. IMO it's a waste of money.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;