Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zifelife
    • Oct 2013

The Old Box.

Alright.. here's my first post. Lets see if I can make the photos post bigger than a nickel. ha I've been waiting to post this for a bit now, its my 00' sporty build. Been hacking off stuff since i got it and finally got the David Bird hardtail from Lowbrow and got it all welded up. So here it was.

First thing I did when i got it was change the seat, bars and rear suspension.. cut fender... blah blah you get the picture.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zifelife; 04-19-2015, 9:59 AM.
  • zifelife
    • Oct 2013

Got the Hardtail from Lowbrow, David Bird weld on for the 86-03. 4 in extension and 2 in drop. Cut and bolted up pretty dang easy. I mig but decided that Rick down at Dirty Rat Moto in SLC set me up nice.

Cutting all the little tabs took a while, but rick said it was super easy to weld up.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zifelife; 09-01-2015, 5:33 PM.

Comment

• zifelife
      • Oct 2013

Got a tank and seat finally. Gas and oil tank is from Bison Motorsports and got the seat off ebay, its the Drag Specialties Scorpion seat. Think ill add the rear piece soon... not sure how i would mount it though. Anywho here are some updates.
      Untitled

Untitled

The tank originally sat too low for me, so i made a riser bracket and cut off the front tab and welded it on the inside, i figured i could run the wiring down there if there was some space.

So i am waiting on a rear tire and a fender, so i decided to cut an old can from a buddies triumph in half, see if i could make a 2 into 1 haha, here is the end product.

Not sure if i am running it or not but i figure why the hell not.
      Last edited by zifelife; 04-19-2015, 9:57 AM.

Comment

• billybiltit
        • Aug 2009

sweet!
        keep us posted on your progress.

leon

Comment

• zifelife
          • Oct 2013

Trying to wrap my head around what I don't have. Maybe someone can throw in their two cents with some info on what to do and what to buy..

I wreaked last summer and my rear brake get stuck down... I'm pretty sure its just the threaded pin that goes into the rear master cylinder is bent and it throws off everything else.. I tried heating it up and bending it back but didn't work. Anyone know of a how to about a master cylinder rebuild? Besides that I am throwing a chain conversion on and got a lot of part numbers from the thread on the how to here for the correct spacer... the spacer part number i got is discontinued and the stock spacer just doesn't work, its not long enough to have the right offset to line up my sprockets... I'm thinking i should just have someone machine something instead..

Where does everyone get there butt, spade and ring connectors for wiring?? and switches? radio shack? haha dunno what i will go with.

Last thing, i have heard of a website you can give them a tubing diameter and an angle and they will send you the tubing with that bend... i want to do it for my exhaust to weld up that can, Anyone heard of that?

Ill update some pictures this weekend when i have some free time.

Comment

• zifelife
            • Oct 2013

Untitled

Mocking up a sissy bar. I think its a bit too wide.. im going to slim it down and add some support braces that mount to the fender.

Comment

• zifelife
              • Oct 2013

Untitled

Heres the new back tire, the shinko 270. I dig it for sure, im hoping this will help so i dont piss too much blood. ha plan on taking this long distance so im thinking im running 28ish psi.. anyone want to throw in their two cents?

Pretty happy with the turn out. Once I mock up a battery box ill be ready to pant.

Comment

• SuperHerk
                • Oct 2011

Looking good man. Those David Bird hard tails look so clean.

I don't know how good or bad they are, but I've used uninsulated butt connectors from Ace with heat shrink tubing in the past with no issues. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in on that.

Comment

• tcainer
                  • Mar 2013

Can't wait to see this up and running around Salt Lake. I've been to Dirty Rat once, but I really like the guys over there.

Comment

• zifelife
                    • Oct 2013

Update

Sorry its been so long, but here are a few updates.

First of all im going to have to make a spacer for the front sprocket. I went off a part number on a thread for the chain conversion and its discontinued. I ended up paying out the ass for some part at Harley thats now outside the return policy. What was i thinking? Ass hats.

Just got the push button start, bolts right on. Super rad

IMAG0040

Finally started hooking up oil lines

IMAG0039

IMAG0052

I realized that i would have clearance issues with the chain and had two options: a chain tensioner on the frame somewhere or cut up my oil tank, so heres what i did.

IMAG0059

Say hello to the pac man. ha

In other news here is the overall stance.

IMAG0045

I started wiring the SOB and ran in to a few issues, from what i have read i need to loop and ground my bank angle sensor but i have one plug on the harness that i dont know what it does. Its for the CA models only, which mine is, but i dont think it was connected to anything... its its some solenoid but the image i have makes it hard to read. Would that have something to do with the main lights not coming on? Everything else is hooked up but still no lights. its surrounded by dotted lines in the bottom right http://www.officialharleyparts.com/h...0_xl_1200S.jpg Wiring doesnt seem like too much of a chore thanks to this thread: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12086

Hopfully ill have a few days this week to get her up and running.

Comment

• zifelife
                      • Oct 2013

IMAG0043

IMAG0047

IMAG0042

still going to re vamp the sissy, make some different bends and bring the teardrop in to a more narrow loop.

Comment

• zifelife
                        • Oct 2013

Clearance

here was that clearance issue, you can see the front sprocket and rear are just high enough to make the chain bounce and hit the oil tank

IMAG0054

so heres the solution

SI_20150519_070803

Comment

• Ksch1232
                          • Feb 2013

Why didn't you just narrow the oil tank instead of slicing up that nice round side?

Comment

• zifelife
                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Ksch1232
                            Why didn't you just narrow the oil tank instead of slicing up that nice round side?
                            First i like the look, and second the tabs were already mounted and powder coated so narrowing would have required me to mount it differently.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

First off... Cool build....

Second ... I see a wild paint job with that oil tank....

But that's just me...
                              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;