AEE Choppers Corvair Trike FOUND!!!!!!!!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flatman
    • Sep 2017

Is Grabowski s bike still out there?

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jerseycityslim
      this is going to be bad ass again.
      It might finished by now since this thread is only 5 years old.............

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

That's like, one of those things you're glad someone else has..

But you wouldn't want it parked in your own driveway.

Comment

• 47str8leg
          • Sep 2014

I had one of those square springers once. I gave it to a friend. Heavy as hell. Probable crack your neck casting if you hit a decent pothole of bump in the road . Especially if it pogo'.

Comment

• Whoremonger
            • Jan 2014

Very cool rolling art

Comment

• MadRiverMoCo
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by jerseycityslim
              Didn't Bones Legacy go tits up?

Comment

• takehikes
                • Feb 2011

Bones Legacy is gone. The owner of the trike supposedly still has it but last we heard its in pieces. I have tried for a few years to get more info but cant pry it loose. I will keep trying. I chased it for 40 years before we found it so Im not giving up now. So far we found the Corvair, Big Twin, Realy and Rose McMullens panhead out of the AEE bikes and still looking.
                Originally posted by MadRiverMoCo

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                  • Apr 2012

I have the original AEE Catalog-Magazine with that bike. I also collected some other magazines with Corvair
                  engine conversions-customs as for a while I had the "NorVair" and was wondering how common Corvair bikes
                  & trikes were and if I could find magazine coverage of my bike. I was told there was a article, but could never find
                  one. There WAS a lot of people who knew about my bike, and many took photos but never found magazine coverage

The bike used to belong to a guy in SoCal and was well known, as well as took it to many events. I have a friend
                  Bill who took photos of it at a Long Beach bike event back in the 70s and was still being ridden in the early 80s.

The bike evolved over time and was never very "Rideable". It had a Corvair engine and the builder crudely cut up and lengthened a Norton Featherbed Frame. The twin carbs were controlled by a RH twist grip w/dual cables to the
                  Rochester? carbs on the engine. The LH Twist grip was a repurposed throttle and ALSO had a Dual cable but ina
                  Push-pull config. This controlled a Rheostat device metering electrical current to the clutch. The Clutch was
                  electro-mechanical thing that either was BANG! In or out, and the Rheostat did not work well so it had neck snapping
                  shifting. The drive went into a Industrial box with a center input shaft and a cross shaft with gears and a CS
                  sprocket on one side. Some call it a Right angle box, no transmission gearing other than converting the input to side
                  shaft output. Drive was always 1:1 It shredded chains constantly and for a while he tried dual drive chains
                  but chains dont work well that way (2 530 chains running side by side) and duplex and triplex chains dont
                  work well in a long run like that either. Back when built belt drives were not as developed either.

Allegedly he was going to convert it to shaft drive off a Asian bike, but had health issues and died. His family
                  brought up his cars and truck with the bike as well up from Calif to here in Oregon and were selling things off

I looked at the bike when it was for sale, and wanted some of the Norton parts off it, but didnt want the whole thing
                  as it was too much of a project. Another guy, known as "Trader Dave" Bought it, took off the Norton stuff and in a
                  trade sold it to me and I still debate if it was worth it. (Trader Dave for a long time sold on FeeBay as "NorVair7")

I sold off the Sportster front end and some other parts, I removed the motor as it was stuck and then sold it on CL
                  I kept the dual oil coolers as they used to use them on Triumph Daytona race bikes, and I still have the conversion box
                  and the frame. Norton Featherbed widelines are rare, so, I am putting it back stock except a 1" stretch to house
                  a Buell V twin as a poor mans Norvin.

I joked about getting it running as a NorVair and taking it on Vintage bike club rides and terrorizing people
                  but it was too much of a project and ZERO resale value. It would be different if it was as famous or well done
                  as the AEE bikes, But it wasnt. It was more like deranged hillbilly fabrication.

I do have photos of it when it first came up for sale circa 1995. By that point had been sitting for about 10 years.

Comment

• Nanonevol
                    • Feb 2017

Lets see them! (The Norvair photos)

Comment

• jerseycityslim
                      • Sep 2018

exactly what did Tom use for sprockets coming out of the third member? I have axles to use and can make tubes for them to ride in.

Comment

• docmel
                        • May 2015

Awesome. I'm sure Ralph Nader wouldn't approve!

Comment

• kamdjacaden
                          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by takehikes
                          Thats right it's back......I've chased it for a long time. It was where I thought it was but I could never get a picture out of the guy. Paul Ponkow with Bones legacy got pictures and waved some cash now he owns the Corvair Trike. This was on the cover of the first issue of Street Chopper, on cover first AEE catalog, in a movie and more.....it's Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin stunning how original it is. Molly paint intact, AEE springer, looks like original gauges and more....seats need recovered and it needs the 6 vertical pipes but otherwise from 50 feet its all there! Paul and his crew are going to give it the same kind of Bones legacy treatment Big Twin got so stay tuned!!!! We have found 2 of AEE's bikes, where are the rest????
                          I'll have more pictures on the AEE blog:
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2020, 12:25 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;