Email Password Mobile Version / Desktop Version
Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,576

    Default Brooklyn to El Diable Run 2015 - 6k mile cross country ride

    Starting May 1, I am going to embark on a 6k mile cross country trip from Brooklyn to California where I will be moving back after being in Chicago and Brooklyn for the last 10 years. The end of the trip will conclude with the El Diablo Run and should be the best ending I could ask for.

    As the EDR starts May 28, it gives me a little over 3 weeks to make it into California and spend a few days with family and then a rest day or two before the EDR starts.

    Here's the rough layout of the trip at this point. Pretty well laid out in terms of where I'd like to go, places to stay, etc and I'm ready to hit the road and see this beautiful country.

    Brooklyn > Philadelphia > Assateague Island > Okracoke Island > Wilmington NC > Asheville > Nashville > Muscle Shoals > Natchez > Houston > Austin > Marfa > El Paso > mountains of Santa Fe > Denver > Colorado Springs > Arches National Park UT > Capital Reef National Park UT > Great Basin National Park NV > Reno > Modesto > Fresno > Los Angeles > San Felipe Mexico > Ensenada Mexico and lastly San Diego on the way back up.

    I've read that a trip like this should start and end with something really interesting. I chose May 1 as I have quite a few friends with bdays and they are having a party down on the beach near Assategue Island near the VA/MD border. There are wild horses that roam the area and are cool with people apparently. We will all camp on the beach, have bonfires, probably do many drugs (shhhhhh), and then my trip will continue on from there, stopping at friends houses on the way, camping in new spots, a few motels mixed in and then it will end with more camping on the beach, yet this time in Mexico! Sounds pretty good to me! Who knows what will happen in between! I think thats the part I am most excited about. I have seen a good part of this country but not the route I am taking so I will finally cover most of the states now. It'll all be new territory, new friends, new experiences.

    I'll be doing the trip on a 1985 FXR which I've given a once over and should be ready for me to pilot it across the vast landscape. I'll be strapping everything I need for the trip on the bike with a few creature comforts but pretty bare bones travelling, just the way I like it. I've got time, and a little bit of money so I'm bound to make it across one way or another but I am very confident on this 30 year old stallion and many of her internals are new and she's feeling fresh!

    Stay tuned for pre-ride reports that should hopefully be testing gear, cameras, etc. Im going to concentrate on the ride but documenting this should be fun too. I'll have a video camera as well as my iphone6 which takes great photos and as dorky as it is, I have a selfie stick that my mom got me that I hope to use on the bike for some cool shots! Definitely hope to document the real america somehow.

    That's all for now..

  2. #2
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Fuck I wish I had time to do this. maybe one day when the kids are grown. Well good luck and enjoy the ride.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Can't wait to see you dude! It's going to be an amazing trip and I'm sure you're going to have some amazing stories after it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Damn man. I wish I could postpone my trip down to join you on that first leg down. I'll bring you some Canadian beer when I come down to Brooklyn in a couple weeks.

    You're gonna have a helluva journey.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    953

    Default

    the pony crossing is cool from the island. the area in the shanendoa is very pretty riding. arches and the surronding areas are breath taking. give yourself time to enjoy the sites and be safe. it looks like you have it mapped out real well. hit moab going thru utah if you get the chance. i was hoping to see john waynes ghost in his cavalry uniform near there but he never showed

  6. #6
    JetBlackII
    Guest

    Default

    Oh jeese the pony round up lol, my mom's from the Eastern shore and loves that shit... especially for some fresh crab cakes, my cousin on Tangier Island said they were already pulling crabs out of the bay and lots of them. 200 miles a day is considered pretty leisure, for a road trip coast to coast and at 2 weeks it puts you in at 2800 miles. From here in Wilmington, N.C. on I-40 (bleh, I don't like interstate riding) to Barstow, CA it's 2,554 miles.

    Hell, PM me if you wanna hang in the Wilmington, N.C. area, and I'll give you my number. Hell, you might pick up a riding buddy for the trip... if I'm not already on the road by then myself. Anyone know if you need a passport for the Baja crossing in Mexico... since all the border nazi shit has been going down the last decade or two? I crossed on my own recognizance 20ish years ago without any issues, just needed to declare wtf I was going to be doing and for how long, and got a stamped piece of paper to present upon re-entry.
    Last edited by JetBlackII; 04-04-2015 at 10:27 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,585

    Default

    Man! Have a good time , be safe. If you decide to change your path north from Austin and visit north Texas. Give me a shout. I have a place for you to crash and a beer.

  8. #8

    Default

    What a trip man, then finishing it off with a trip down through Mexico. Living the dream brother. Hopefully I can raise enough capital to travel over from NZ and get to the next EDR.
    Travel safe man.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,133

    Default

    Let me know when you'll be in Fresno because the gf and I may be bumming it in Endor (Sequoia National Park) mid-May. We can kick it with some Ewoks and I can show you some bitching swimming holes and rocks to jump off of. If not the we'll share some beers on EDR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobski View Post
    What a trip man, then finishing it off with a trip down through Mexico. Living the dream brother. Hopefully I can raise enough capital to travel over from NZ and get to the next EDR.
    Travel safe man.
    We're leaving The Land of the Long White Cloud before our visas expire to do EDR.

  10. #10
    Cisco726
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlackII View Post
    Oh jeese the pony round up lol, my mom's from the Eastern shore and loves that shit... especially for some fresh crab cakes, my cousin on Tangier Island said they were already pulling crabs out of the bay and lots of them. 200 miles a day is considered pretty leisure, for a road trip coast to coast and at 2 weeks it puts you in at 2800 miles. From here in Wilmington, N.C. on I-40 (bleh, I don't like interstate riding) to Barstow, CA it's 2,554 miles.

    Hell, PM me if you wanna hang in the Wilmington, N.C. area, and I'll give you my number. Hell, you might pick up a riding buddy for the trip... if I'm not already on the road by then myself. Anyone know if you need a passport for the Baja crossing in Mexico... since all the border nazi shit has been going down the last decade or two? I crossed on my own recognizance 20ish years ago without any issues, just needed to declare wtf I was going to be doing and for how long, and got a stamped piece of paper to present upon re-entry.
    Yeah, nowadays you need a passport or this card type passport that's cheaper than a passport since you're not flying. I've heard of people going without it, but why risk it. Might end up staying longer than you want.

  11. #11

    Default

    We're leaving The Land of the Long White Cloud before our visas expire to do EDR.[/QUOTE]

    Hope you and the girlfriend had a great time in NZ and got to see a bit of the country? The wife's given me a bit of leave to do the next EDR if I can raise the cash. Lol. The plan is to buy a cheap sportster, do a few weeks riding including the run then sell the bike and head back home. Hopefully.

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobski View Post
    We're leaving The Land of the Long White Cloud before our visas expire to do EDR.
    Hope you and the girlfriend had a great time in NZ and got to see a bit of the country? The wife's given me a bit of leave to do the next EDR if I can raise the cash. Lol. The plan is to buy a cheap sportster, do a few weeks riding including the run then sell the bike and head back home. Hopefully.[/QUOTE]

    PM sent

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapBinBobber View Post
    Fuck I wish I had time to do this. maybe one day when the kids are grown. Well good luck and enjoy the ride.
    Thanks man, hope you get to also. I feel like we should all give ourselves this opportunity one time in life. I may not get to do it again. O

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leiffireeater80 View Post
    Can't wait to see you dude! It's going to be an amazing trip and I'm sure you're going to have some amazing stories after it.
    Less than a month now!

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lepetitmtl View Post
    Damn man. I wish I could postpone my trip down to join you on that first leg down. I'll bring you some Canadian beer when I come down to Brooklyn in a couple weeks.

    You're gonna have a helluva journey.
    I will drink said beers in celebration of your fine country See you soon my brotha.

  16. #16
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlackII View Post
    Oh jeese the pony round up lol, my mom's from the Eastern shore and loves that shit... especially for some fresh crab cakes, my cousin on Tangier Island said they were already pulling crabs out of the bay and lots of them. 200 miles a day is considered pretty leisure, for a road trip coast to coast and at 2 weeks it puts you in at 2800 miles. From here in Wilmington, N.C. on I-40 (bleh, I don't like interstate riding) to Barstow, CA it's 2,554 miles.

    Hell, PM me if you wanna hang in the Wilmington, N.C. area, and I'll give you my number. Hell, you might pick up a riding buddy for the trip... if I'm not already on the road by then myself. Anyone know if you need a passport for the Baja crossing in Mexico... since all the border nazi shit has been going down the last decade or two? I crossed on my own recognizance 20ish years ago without any issues, just needed to declare wtf I was going to be doing and for how long, and got a stamped piece of paper to present upon re-entry.
    Cool man, sounds good! You DO need a passport to re-enter USA!

  17. #17
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltytonk View Post
    Man! Have a good time , be safe. If you decide to change your path north from Austin and visit north Texas. Give me a shout. I have a place for you to crash and a beer.
    I wish you were in between Austin and El Paso! I really was hoping I might get the chance to swing by and say hi to you, but you are too far north :-/ I'll have to come to Giddy Up next year and hang out with you brother.
    Last edited by brooklynbomber; 04-05-2015 at 8:35 AM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobski View Post
    What a trip man, then finishing it off with a trip down through Mexico. Living the dream brother. Hopefully I can raise enough capital to travel over from NZ and get to the next EDR.
    Travel safe man.
    These are times that are just worth it in your life. Do it!

  19. #19
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nuklhd View Post
    the pony crossing is cool from the island. the area in the shanendoa is very pretty riding. arches and the surronding areas are breath taking. give yourself time to enjoy the sites and be safe. it looks like you have it mapped out real well. hit moab going thru utah if you get the chance. i was hoping to see john waynes ghost in his cavalry uniform near there but he never showed
    I am looking most forward to Arches and the other areas in Utah, I've never been down there at all and it looks like another planet! I will be going through Moab, Zion, Bryce Canyon and others near by. Cheers man.

  20. #20
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzoguilt View Post
    Let me know when you'll be in Fresno because the gf and I may be bumming it in Endor (Sequoia National Park) mid-May. We can kick it with some Ewoks and I can show you some bitching swimming holes and rocks to jump off of. If not the we'll share some beers on EDR.



    We're leaving The Land of the Long White Cloud before our visas expire to do EDR.
    I'll most likely just be in Fresno for the night to stay with my folks there and then head to LA to prep for the EDR with my buddies. But I'll be back there after its over to hang out more with family once I'm done and would definitely like to find some rad swimming holes! Hope to see you in Mexico! You'll see me on my gray/white FXR probably looking pretty disheveled after being on the road for a month. Looking forward to those Palapas, lots of Tecate and some true south of the border debauchery.

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
         
         
CHOP CULT HOME

ADVERTISE    |    CONTACT    |    ©2009 - 2017 ChopCult    |    REPORT ABUSE    |    CONDUCT

Chopcult on Instagram Chopcult on Pinterest Chopcult on Tumblr Chopcult on Facebook Chopcult on Twitter