Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FunnyBone333
    • Apr 2024

1970 xlch900 clutch r&r

what's up guys? I just pick up an old 70 900 kick only did a service on her and took it out for a spin. Found it made a lot of noise and didn't go anywhere. I ordered up new friction disks and a new worm with cable. I pulled the old clutch and found it was heated up and a lil worn. Now I've been haven a hell of a time trying to find out the weight oil to run in my primary. It is a wet/dry clutch. Also I haven't measured it yet but what's the stock thickness on my drive plate? Also just to be sure when I tighten up my new clutch I'm feeling in between my clutch faces with my feeler gage correct? Please, need some insite!!
  • WinstonWolf
    • Feb 2013

The book calls for the same oil as in the engine...

Comment

• sdsbassist
      • Jun 2014

In minnesota i run 50w with no problems

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Been using Sport Lube for awhile....

Harley has this oil for that application...

OEM No: 62600-004
        32 ounce plastic bottle formulated transmission and primary oil.
        Oil provides lubricity for the anti-wear conditions of transmission gears and maintains the coefficient of friction for proper clutch operation and quality lubrication to the primary chain. Approved for use in all stages of transmission and primary chaincase life.

Your clutch was designed to run dry in a wet environment....
        Last year for that style clutch .....
        If there are looseness in the clutch gear bearings oil will find it's way into the clutch pack...
        Most Folks will change the plates out to a wet clutch....

Being your clutch has been hot, might want to take a hard look at the steel plates.... A piece of glass would work well for seeing if they have become dished....
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• JaredTowne
          • Mar 2015

same oil as what goes in the tank. period. unless you have the transfer valve blocked off. You dont want some sort of ATF or snake oil mixing into your engine oil. ..

to set the spring tension you are measuring the space between the back of the nut and the edge of spring "cup" .

The dry clutch is great when kept DRY. make sure your oil seal and cover gasket are in GOOD condition.

Check for blue discolored or warped clutch plates as mentioned.

a factory service manual is invaluable on these old sleds.

Comment

• FunnyBone333
            • Apr 2024

thanks alot guys. im just running 60w in the case. i got the new clutch in wound up making a tool for it and got it all buttoned up. just gotta tune my carb in and shorten my throttle cable and i should be close to go. thanks for the help

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;