CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Hybrid View

Default Build: Softail Bobber

First post, checking in from Live Oak, FL, and introducing myself with a build project...

Fresh off the Big Brown delivery truck:

On the work cart with swingarm installed:

Frame: KraftTech K15051 stock width, 30 degree rake, 0 stretch, 1-1/4" downtubes, 1-1/2" backbone. Swingarm is 90's OEM Harley, to run (with chain) a 150 or smaller rear tire. Collecting parts for a while, build is just getting underway.

Phil
    Live Oak, FL

Trying on a piece of tin:

A bit more:

What are the plans? Are you keeping the fender and the horns and what motor is going in it?

Small tip: If the ride gets a bit springy with suspension in the seat as well you can run a bar lenghtwise through the seat spring to lock it. It is stealthy and functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Gast View Post
    What are the plans? Are you keeping the fender and the horns and what motor is going in it?
    Keeping the fender and horns...
    Engine is S&S V111 EVO.

Taking a while to remember where I've stored the parts:

Quote Originally Posted by Gast View Post
    Small tip: If the ride gets a bit springy with suspension in the seat as well you can run a bar lenghtwise through the seat spring to lock it. It is stealthy and functional.
    I have many miles on that seat, on a Softail... no need to make it a solid mount. I like to use parts I've kept as mementos, the seat from my 2012, an AMF fork lock from my 1973 FX, etc.

Fat Boy handlebars and controls, Milwaukee USA risers:

What rear fender is that and where do I get one like it.

Rear fender is Custom Chrome #13254 in the sheet metal section of their catalog, page 14.13... Use underlined red link, picture on bottom right of page.

Thanks. Looks great

Rear wheel final fitting, spacers machined to length. 16" OEM HD "Conestoga" 9-spoke wheel, 11.5" OEM HD brake rotor, GMA rear 4-piston brake.

Almost a roller:

Final machining of front spacers, axle required a little lathe time. Next, mount rear tire... move project to shop.

Good looking build. I have built two bikes with Kraft tech frames. No shimming under either engine, couldn't say that about the Paughco frame I had. I consider them the best mass produced frames on the market. That S&S is going to be a thumper. Good choice of drive line components too. Can you share a little more info on adapting those wheels? Sealed bearings? Axle size?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinN View Post
    Can you share a little more info on adapting those wheels? Sealed bearings? Axle size?
    Using stock 1” sealed bearings in both wheels. Front end is a hybrid, FLH sliders and Softail Heritage trees. Using 1” FLH axle… Softail trees are about 3/8” narrower than FLH, wheel fits with just enough clearance. Front (FLH) axle is basically 3/8” too long, taper was hitting left slider before tightening wheel. Machined taper back 3/8”… axle now sticks out the left slider too far. Made a 3/8” spacer for left side (outside) of left slider… axle now fits (and secures wheel) properly. Start with 0.8” wheel spacers (both sides)… fine tune from there.

Using standard 3/4” Softail rear axle… used reducers with the 1” sealed bearings. (Will replace with 3/4” sealed bearings when the 1” need replacing.) Using standard alignment frame, no offset, and standard width (OEM) swingarm. Chain drive: PBI Transmission Sprocket 24T 283-24 / PBI Rear Wheel Sprocket 51T 2073SX. Too many variables to suggest a start size for your wheel spacers… I center wheel, align sprockets, then make the rear brake work properly.

Used FLH sliders so I could run dual Brembo front brakes with 11.8” discs… Conestoga 9-spokes because I like the look. Will need to mill the Brembo caliper mounts to compensate for narrower Softail trees… simple “bolt on” OEM mods.

Looking rad

Small fan keeps my work area cool:

Exhaust system... Dragos Dragula 3-step pipes/header, heat shields, and muffler:

Battery installed, oil lines installed, engine oil, transmission lube... Starter test, bendix engages and disengages properly, starter spins engine, oil pump primed, oil flowing through engine.

These are the lines of this scoot... little will change as the project is completed.

7 July 2015... first start for S&S V111 Evo engine:

That sounds great

Share This