CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Chain Allignment help. Please!

So Iím having some chain alignment issues with my 05 Sporty hardtail. At least thatís what I think the problem is. It looks like the chain moves 1/8 inch left to right and back again throughout one full chain rotation. The link below is a video of me hand turning the you can clearly see what I talking about.
    Is this a normal amount of movement? Is it my axel that is out of align? Should I just trim the fender back some more so it doesnít hit and never think about it again? Any help would be very much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6N_...ature=youtu.be

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, in the video the chain looks to be running good, But yes your fender is way to close, you need to notch it then I believe you would be fine. but again this is judging from an up close video.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the reply bobberadam. I notched the fender but maybe it wasn't enough. So you think 1/8 deviation from left to right is within spec? I not going to kill the trans?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A_Notched.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	57877

Get Adobe Flash player

What hardtail are you running?

Make sure the sprocket is seated completely on the wheel - looks like the hop is coming off the rear sprocket

Also, is the rear axle torqued down in the axle plates?

Finally, is that a 530 oring chain?
    Last edited by Blackbetty; 03-16-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks and sounds like the sprocket is off, check the sprocket placement on the hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperE View Post
    So I’m having some chain alignment issues with my 05 Sporty hardtail. At least that’s what I think the problem is. It looks like the chain moves 1/8 inch left to right and back again throughout one full chain rotation. The link below is a video of me hand turning the you can clearly see what I talking about.
    Is this a normal amount of movement? Is it my axel that is out of align? Should I just trim the fender back some more so it doesn’t hit and never think about it again? Any help would be very much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6N_...ature=youtu.be

Get Adobe Flash player

It looks like the front sprocket is moving to me. Has it been like this since the switch to chain from belt? Almost looks to me like the front sprocket didn't get torqued during assembly. Or is it just me?

Get Adobe Flash player

Update:
    I rechecked the torque on the front sprocket and its was correct. I also spun it a few times with and measured the gap, it stayed the same so I moved on assuming that was correct and square. I did the same measurements in the rear and all was well there. Checked all the usual suspects like axle alignment and axle bolts, all was good. I finally called Led Sled who supplied the 530 O-ring chain and they said when I ride it and put a bit of tension on it, it will straighten out. So i trimmed the fender down a bit more so it clears and I guess Ill find out if this is "normal" for new unused chains...though I smell some bullshit here.
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll see what happens in about a month when I get it on the road.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperE View Post
    I finally called Led Sled who supplied the 530 O-ring chain and they said when I ride it and put a bit of tension on it, it will straighten out.
    it is normal. if you take that chain off and lay it straight on the ground, it wont be straight. i usually get a straight edge of some sort to put against the face of the sprockets to make sure they are aligned properly, wheel spaced right etc..

Share This