CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

i love my foot clutch but i love my front brake even more.

Get Adobe Flash player

Advice? They look stupid on a sportster.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by seaking View Post
    Advice? They look stupid on a sportster.
    Oh. i don't think it does :0/

Get Adobe Flash player

IDK

jockey shift on unit motors in general is weird looking

badass chop nonetheless

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by coolant View Post
    syndicate nailed it. All the names you guys are putting on this setup are funny. No matter what you wanna call it i love my foot clutch no front brake setup . It's fun and a little challenging sometimes . Give it a shot , you'll eother love it or hate it . And yes grab nuetral before you come to a stop sign or light .

Quote Originally Posted by tattooo View Post
    no front brake is a suicide shift... Your talking about a jockey shift..... That has a front brake..... Do a little research .......

Nothing wrong with a suicide shift...... I always liked it....
    lol

Get Adobe Flash player

While it would look better to use a ratchet top you can use a rotary OR even better an older roller top tank shift tranny. The roller top is exchangeable w/a ratchet top tranny but I don't know about a rotary top. When you use an old roller top it shifts more like a car . Meaning when you shift it- it starts at about the back of the oil tank in 1st and ends up in about the middle of the rear cylinder in 4th. there are false neutrals between each gear. HOWEVER when it is set up correctly you can feel the difference while shifting to know when your in gear. I feel this set-up has a distinct advantage over a ratchet or rotary in an emergency stop situation. With a ratchet or roller you have to go through at least one gear to hit neutral whereas the roller top you can just nudge it up or down and you'll be there. Picture this scenario...your in 4th gear and you have to stop NOW and w/ a roller and a suicide clutch set-up you can shift quickly w/out the clutch and get your left hand going on the front brake (assuming you have one). Now w/ a ratchet or rotary you have to downshift w/your clutch from 4th-3rd-2nd-your finicky neutral. Now there are some that will say the roller top can jump into gear at anytime in that situation but I've never had that happen. maybe theirs are old and worn or just set-up incorrectly.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just like anything, you get used to it.
    Its a fun way to ride a bike....

Wise man once said:
    "Motorcycles are dangerous. So have fun, but be careful."

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Micro-Bro highly recommends a roller top..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00003.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	57582

Get Adobe Flash player

I thought about doing one, but down in Louisiana the roads are shit. Even going a short distance, I need both hands on the handlebars. I like the look, but I think it just depends on rider experience I guess.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks. I admit, the area where most jockey shifters connect to on big twin trannies look perfect. But with sportys, there's no way to make it look that"perfect" . Either you make a bracket and use a linkage or make a lever straight off the shifter arm. I like the former better.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    If you can't ride with a foot clutch.... Don't..... Don't give a youtube video as your reason why you can't...... I didn't watch it but I'm sure that's why you posted it..... If that's why you posted it.. I guess you can't ride unless both feet are on the ground at a red light.....
    So, why do they call it a suicide shift, just a catchy name they thought of at the time.

Anyway, I shouldn't really criticise a system I've never used, if it works for some guys then more power to them, that's what all this is about, being individual, doing stuff you want to regardless.

I might try one out some day, might grow on me.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by allexlpoole View Post
    I thought about doing one, but down in Louisiana the roads are shit. Even going a short distance, I need both hands on the handlebars. I like the look, but I think it just depends on rider experience I guess.

Well, this was my thinking, maybe I grew up on crappy little English roads, so I feel safer with boat hands and feet available when required, but each to their own.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
    Just like anything, you get used to it.
    Its a fun way to ride a bike....

Wise man once said:
    "Motorcycles are dangerous. So have fun, but be careful."
    I said that!

Foot clutches and jockey shifting is sketchy. Especially so with a true tank shift jockey lid. I hated it. A lot. First thing I did after getting my gen shovel going was switching it back to hand clutch and foot shift.

This is just my personal preference and may not apply to everyone.

As always, motorcycles are dangerous. So have fun but be careful.

Get Adobe Flash player

I think the phrase "Suicide Shift" is right up there with the term Bobber. Maybe it used to mean something but has been so watered down over the years its lost its intended meaning.

I put a foot clutch on all my bikes cause its easier than building all that linkage for a hand clutch.

As far as having trouble in traffic and all that nonsense.... Once you've ridden it that way for like 3 days it just becomes second nature. You just gotta be a little more aware.
    Now if you're on a steep hill with no front brake and a foot clutch then you've got problems.... well your clutch plates do anyways.

Get Adobe Flash player

The best explanation was already given by Syndicate Choppers. With a front brake it is a jockey shift or a tank shift if that's what u gots. Without a front brake it's a suicide for the reasons given in the aforementioned scenario. At Dead stop on a hill or incline and left foot is on clutch, left hand is on shifter, right hand on the bars and right foot on the rear brake, you ain't got a front, what is balancing your cycle? Your equilibrium is that good?
    Do what Syndicate says and as you're slowing just push her into neutral or have your mom give you a ride...

I hate the term suicide shift, because it doesn't mean anything. In the old days of rocker clutches people would just disengage the trans via the clutch and not shift into neutral (apparently). So when those spring controlled clutch pedals failed you'd take off into the intersection. Hence the colloquialism "suicide clutch" for certain rocker type clutches. They were tank shift bikes and when people began messing with the linkages and shortening them so they ended behind the leg they were called "jockey shifts", although this was before ratchet top trans as well.

Just like a "bobber" was literally a cut down factory bike, "suicide shift" is a term mostly used nowadays by people who want to seem like a hardass and don't know old bikes. Most of the time.

Brakes don't have anything to do with what shifting mechanism you have.

Get Adobe Flash player

To me there is nothing better in life than rolling a big twin rigid with suicide clutch and jockey shift.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	57614
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Can't wait to put my suicide clutch on my Brat Style cafe inspired bobber.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by sledhooligan View Post
    Can't wait to put my suicide clutch on my Brat Style cafe inspired bobber.
    I'm with you.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ScarTissue View Post
    I hate the term suicide shift, because it doesn't mean anything. In the old days of rocker clutches people would just disengage the trans via the clutch and not shift into neutral (apparently). So when those spring controlled clutch pedals failed you'd take off into the intersection. Hence the colloquialism "suicide clutch" for certain rocker type clutches. They were tank shift bikes and when people began messing with the linkages and shortening them so they ended behind the leg they were called "jockey shifts", although this was before ratchet top trans as well.

Just like a "bobber" was literally a cut down factory bike, "suicide shift" is a term mostly used nowadays by people who want to seem like a hardass and don't know old bikes. Most of the time.

Brakes don't have anything to do with what shifting mechanism you have.
    What he said.

Its called "jockey shift" because you look like a jockey riding a horse reaching behind your ass to shift. Suicide clutch had nothing to do w missing brakes. Unless something has changed in the last few years. Fucking terms.

Share This