Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CursezZz
    • Oct 2013

Foot clutch and hand shift advice ?

hey guys I'm thinking of doing a suicide shift set up and i wanna know what you guys think the pros and cons are and if you have any tips for riding with this setup i know some of you fellas will ride with this setup only I'm on the fence about it so someone push me to what side of the fence they think i should be on lol
  • tomsoftail
    • Jul 2014

Don't go suicide shift.keep the front brake.

Comment

• CursezZz
      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by tomsoftail
      Don't go suicide shift.keep the front brake.
      i would always keep the front brake but suicide shift looks rad and super fun

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by CursezZz
        i would always keep the front brake but suicide shift looks rad and super fun
        No front brake is a Suicide shift... Your talking about a jockey shift..... That has a front brake..... Do a little research .......

Nothing wrong with a suicide shift...... I always liked it....

Comment

• AsianDan
          • Jan 2015

I was under the impression that a suicide shift, was a hand shifter with the clutch connected to it. and in a panic situation one hand would have to be on the clutch, off the bars while only one hand to steer clear of whatever is in the way. of course, jockey shifter would be shifter under your left but with a foot clutch in conjunction with it. am I wrong to assume that?
          Last edited by AsianDan; 03-05-2015, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• hhc
            • Oct 2013

my bike gets called suicide shift all the time, buy me as well (hand shift foot clutch) and while i dont have a front break my rear is on the right handlebar. ive only ever rode one bike with the clutch on the shiftier and i really wasn't a fan, it was awkward to shift and just felt... cheap almost like someone didnt take the time to make the foot clutch and was just like "eh this will work"

i really like riding foot clutch hand shift, if your keeping front break it will be fine the only real issues are coming to a stop if you only have rear break (operated with your right foot) you better be able to find neutral. and for the first little bit starting turning left can be weird. go buy the stuff you need to convert it instead of cutting your stock controls up and worst case you dont like it and you switch back. give it a bit to grow on you though

Comment

• KingHerald
              • Aug 2013

It is a great idea, until you're sat at the lights in gear waiting to pull off, and you just lose balance a touch, as does happen, lean to the left, drop your foot off the clutch to stop yourself falling, and you jerk forward into that truck in front before your motor stalls...... Just a thought.

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by KingHerald
                It is a great idea, until you're sat at the lights in gear waiting to pull off, and you just lose balance a touch, as does happen, lean to the left, drop your foot off the clutch to stop yourself falling, and you jerk forward into that truck in front before your motor stalls...... Just a thought.
                If that happens to you, you should not be riding a motorcycle

As far as riding a foot clutch hand shift goes, try it
                if you don't like it switch back.

Me personally all my bikes are a foot clutch hand shift no front brake, they suit me just fine, I actually prefer this setup.
                The only bike that is not like that is my '42 Knucklehead, that still has the factory rocker clutch and tank shift with drum front brake setup.
                I actually don't like the rocker clutch, I prefer the regular style foot clutch ("suicide clutch") setup as that's what I ride more.

My point is try it
                if you don't like it switch back to hand clutch.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by SyndicateChoppers
                  If that happens to you, you should not be riding a motorcycle
                  Man you got that right......

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by AsianDan
                    am I wrong to assume that?
                    Yep your wrong.....

Oh yea... A clutch lever on a shifter looks dumb to me....

Comment

• KingHerald
                      • Aug 2013

If that happens to you, you should not be riding a motorcycle .
                      You can honestly tell me you've never pulled up at the lights and had to dab a foot down unexpectedly!!! I call BS!

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by KingHerald
                        You can honestly tell me you've never pulled up at the lights and had to dab a foot down unexpectedly!!! I call BS!
                        Yeah Ive had to put my foot down plenty of times, in fact every time I come to a full stop, especially at red lights
                        the key is.....
                        PUT THE BIKE IN NEUTRAL BEFORE YOU PUT YOUR FEET DOWN.

I don't know why people would think putting the bike in neutral is a hard thing to do with a foot clutch
                        in fact with a hand shifter on a ratchet top trans its easier to find neutral than it is with a foot shifter, theres not linkage to cause sloppy shifting (which is common with a lot of poorly built or maintained bikes out there)

My point is to the original poster be comfortable with the bike that you ride.
                        If your not comfortable don't ride.

If your not aware of your surroundings enough that you would stall a bike and lurch it into an intersection while at a light you have absolutely no business riding a motorcycle, and your probably a major hazard to the other people that might ride around you.

Comment

• KingHerald
                          • Aug 2013

If your not aware of your surroundings enough that you would stall a bike and lurch it into an intersection while at a light you have absolutely no business riding a motorcycle, and your probably a major hazard to the other people that might ride around you.
                          I guess if I had a system that was referred to as 'suicide' in any way or form then I'd be as careful as you obviously are.

How about filtering between traffic, with that foot on the clutch, never had a moment when the bike hit a small lump, pot hole, ridge, whatever? I guess you'll tell me that never happens to riders of your calibre...

I've always had normal hand clutches, so there was never a risk of my dumping the bike into an intersection by mistake.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• ratrodder69
                            • Jul 2014

GO FOR IT!!! I was super nervous about running my suicide/jockey set up and almost pussed out, but 5 years later I'm sure glad I went for it! I absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone but first time riders. Just don't put the clutch on the shifter IMHO that's just a cop out and a bad one at that you have less control and it looks cheesy! As far as "having" to put your left foot down its really not that big oh a deal u get used to it quick! And the only way it would be a problem at a light like was mentioned is if a) you have your idle way to high and you are way to close! Or/and b) you aren't using your front brake! Other than that a quick step off just kills the bike and makes you look/feel like a dumb ass ;-) so just go for it its fun ;-)

Comment

• bohica2xo
                              • Jan 2015

My first motorcycle was foot clutch / hand shift. Just like any car. I learned to ride that way.

I can't imagine putting a clutch lever on the shifter - that sounds like industrial strength stupid to me.

I never got the "suicide" term. Idling in gear with the clutch in at a stop light simply means your right foot is on the deck. No more dangerous than sitting there with the hand lever pulled in. I guess some people have never seen a clutch cable break - I trust the solid mechanical clutch linkage more than a cable.

If your riding style requires the availability of both feet for use on the ground at all times, then you should probably go buy an http://www.efmautoclutch.com/index.shtml

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;