Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattyasian
    • Feb 2014

63' Panhead controls

I have a 63' Panhead FLH and was told I needed a 58-65 ratchet top tranny, I was wondering if I was trying to run a hand clutch and foot shifter would I still use a ratchet top or would I be able to use a rotary.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mattyasian
    I have a 63' Panhead FLH and was told I needed a 58-65 ratchet top tranny, I was wondering if I was trying to run a hand clutch and foot shifter would I still use a ratchet top or would I be able to use a rotary.

Why would you want to run a rotary trans on a 63? Are you missing the trans? That's a electric start trans.....It's totally wrong for a 63..

Are you building a bike out of parts? More info needed????

Comment

• 47str8leg
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Mattyasian
      While it would look better to use a ratchet top you can use a rotary OR even better an older roller top tank shift tranny. The roller top is exchangeable w/a ratchet top tranny but I don't know about a rotary top. When you use an old roller top it shifts more like a car . Meaning when you shift it- it starts at about the back of the oil tank in 1st and ends up in about the middle of the rear cylinder in 4th. there are false neutrals between each gear. HOWEVER when it is set up correctly you can feel the difference while shifting to know when your in gear. I feel this set-up has a distinct advantage over a ratchet or rotary in an emergency stop situation. With a ratchet or roller you have to go through at least one gear to hit neutral whereas the roller top you can just nudge it up or down and you'll be there. Picture this scenario...your in 4th gear and you have to stop NOW and w/ a roller and a suicide clutch set-up you can shift quickly w/out the clutch and get your left hand going on the front brake (assuming you have one). Now w/ a ratchet or rotary you have to downshift w/your clutch from 4th-3rd-2nd-your finicky neutral. Now there are some that will say the roller top can jump into gear at anytime in that situation but I've never had that happen. maybe theirs are old and worn or just set-up incorrectly.

Tim

Comment

• 47str8leg
        • Sep 2014

Sorry I thought I read foot clutch/hand shift.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;