Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigrigXJ
    • Apr 2012

'95 Dyna Exhaust Flames

I recently changed the drag pipes on my '95 low rider to a 2:1 with a small straight pipe. I'm getting loud popping when decclerating and flames out of the exhaust. I'm thinking that maybe it's now running lean. Suggestions? Any way to post videos? Other than looking pretty cool it is crazy loud. I've got to put a muffler on it to try and quiet it down some. I'm waking up my yougest from his sleep. My garage is detached from my house and 150 feet + away. Any reccomendations?

Thanks everyone for your input.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150214_110642_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	1337460
    JB
  • bobscogin
    • Jun 2011

Investigate the jetting and correct accordingly.

Bob

Comment

• Saltytonk
      • Mar 2011

Pack a plug socket and rachet. Get on your bike , get out on the hiway , get to 70 mph run about 5 miles at that speed.
      After 5 miles , kill the engine and coast to the side of the road. Pull your plugs and read them. If they are white colored , you are too lean, if they are black you are too rich. They should be a golden tan color. If you are lean go up one size on your main jet , rich one size down . Then repeat process until you have tan colored plugs.

Comment

• BigrigXJ
        • Apr 2012

Thanks guys. Being that the high this week is supposed to be around 26 degrees (more snow heading this way too) the highway ride is going to have to wait. Can I just run it for about 5 minutes with holding it around 3 - 4 K rpm in neutral? I'll head out tonight to clean the plugs (replaced a couple thousand miles ago) to give a clean starting point.
        Thanks!
        JB

Comment

• Pendulum
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by BigrigXJ
          Thanks guys. Being that the high this week is supposed to be around 26 degrees (more snow heading this way too) the highway ride is going to have to wait. Can I just run it for about 5 minutes with holding it around 3 - 4 K rpm in neutral? I'll head out tonight to clean the plugs (replaced a couple thousand miles ago) to give a clean starting point.
          Thanks!
          JB
          It's gotta be under load, so neutral is outta the question. You could put the bike on a dyno, but that's gonna cost a few hundred bucks unless you've got a friend that can hook you up. The process Salty described is usually called doing a "plug chop", btw. I also do it at low, mid, and high RPM just so I can be sure my shit is tight n right all through the RPMs. Speed doesn't matter... It's just the throttle position and load on the engine, so you don't have to do this at highway speeds but you do need to be able to maintain consistent RPMs/throttle position and load for a couple minutes, which is why people recommend doing plug chops on the highway. If you have a long road nearby, it's just as good. Just keep things consistent. Read these links for more info:

http://www.mikuni.com/fs-tuning_guide.html (Click the links at the top of the page under Common Tuning Issues for the good info)

Depending on what carb you're running, those guides may or may not apply but the theory should help ya out regardless of what specific carb you're running.

Then again, this could all be the wrong path... Did you use new exhaust gaskets? Make sure everything is tightened properly? Air leaks can cause popping, but I'm not sure if they'll cause flames.

Edit: Just thought of something... If your state does emissions testing and you know someone who will bend some rules for you, you could use the dynomometer at the emissions station.
          Last edited by Pendulum; 02-17-2015, 3:37 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;