Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Langmire
    • Dec 2014

New Guy Question/ Opinions please

Well here goes, I have a 78 shovelhead, rigid, springer front end. I purchased it off a fella last spring. Ran pretty good most of the time but needed some love after a little abuse from me and from what I can tell, more abuse from the previous owner. Mostly just lack of regular maintenance/ checkin shit once and a while.(not me, previous owner), But whatever. I've been messin with it all winter and had some questions about stuff I did that I'm not sure are legit. New to Harleys, not new to fucking around in garages drinkin beer

1) My transmission shaft support had a groove worn in it from the chain hitting it. It was pretty bad actually. Anyway, I replaced the chain, rear sprocket(small offset) made new wheel spacers and got a new shaft support. New chain is a 530 oring. The new master link would hit no matter where you put the chain while turning it. Engine and transmission aligned the best I could( BDL 2 inch open, no plate) trans sprocket aligned to rear sprocket. So I made some spacers to open up the gap between the tranny and the support. Don't think that will cause any issues but hey.........???

2) I made new spacers for my front wheel. The old ones looked like shit and were all fucked up. If you tightened the axle the springer would actually bind up to the point where it had no springy anymore. It was the brake caliper support not pivoting on the axle. So I had a new one made up. The machine shop fucked up even though I made some sweet drawings. I wanted a kinda 'T' shaped spacer. One piece, turned down to fit in the support, small gap side to side to let the support "float" against the hub. So now it goes large spacer- turned down spacer- hub. Question is, How much should the support float side to side between the big spacer and the hub? its not excessive but I'm not sure. I have visions of it binding and sending me to space..... attached a pic so you can see what im working with.

3) last one I swear... Belt always wants to walk away from the engine on the front pulley. All new parts. Was doing the crank seal and the pulley/ belt looked like shit so I replaced em while I had em off. Unbolted the engine, checked for shimming/ alignment. bolted it back down. Unbolted the tranny checked for shimming/ alignment. put the belt on, aligned it, set the tension locked it down. kick kick kick, belt walked out about 1/8th off the front pulley. Keep in mind this is probly the 4th time trying to line it up that day so I was stoked on only 1/8th. The only thing I can think of why it walks out, is that when I put a new clutch hub on it doesn't sit as far on the taper/ keyway as the old one. Has any one else had this issue? could that cause it to walk out? Don't want another hub if I don't need.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. If it looks all fucked and the pics don't work........fuck it, I tried
    Thanks!
    Attached Files
  • boomboomthump
    • Oct 2013

1) No issues spacing the bearing support. Mine is spaced 1/4" and people do it all the time to clear a "big nut". As far as the master link scraping... are you sure the trans sprocket is mounted correctly? The flat side goes out and the dished side towards the trans.

2) If I'm understanding your question correctly and I see you're running a PM springer brake (I ran one around 10 years ago), I'm pretty sure you can easily get that spacer/bushing from them and that the info you're looking for is covered in the install instructions.

3) Either your belt tension is too tight or your trans is out of alignment. What steps did you take to align the trans shaft horizontally and vertically to the motor shaft?

Comment

• Langmire
      • Dec 2014

Thanks for the reply!
      1) Maybe should have clarified better, the masterlink was only hitting on the support. The flat side is out so I should be good to go on that one.
      2) yeah I searched for info on that brake mount without much luck. So I just pressed out the old crapped out brass bushing and slid it over the new spacer I had turned down. Just wondering how much side to side play is ok. I would imagine, as little as possible without binding when the front end is moving and the axle is tight?
      3) the belt tension is about half inch deflection without putting a whole lot of pressure on it. Maybe a bit more. When I first had the problem of the belt walking out I backed off all the motor mount bolts and positioned the engine so that every bolt was able to be easily installed, then tightened them up. Then I used these jimmy rigged tools I made outta turnbuckles, bolts and long stand-off nuts to push the trans away from the motor. Used my four foot level, lining it up with the engine pulley and adjusted the alignment/ belt tension at the same time accordingly. Trying to get the engine pulley and trans pulley to line up perfect. As far as vertically, I didn't really do that. I guess if the trans was low on the pulley side it could cause the belt to walk in that direction eh?

By the way, I've been watching your build from before I even signed up here. Pretty fuckin amazing man!

Comment

• Revelator
        • Aug 2009

I have about 1/16" of side play on the support bracket on my springer brake.
        no issues after many miles. I made my own bracket & pressed a bushing into
        the aluminum where it rides (floats) on a stepped S.S. spacer.

you want to keep grease on it for sure.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;