Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4doora
    • Dec 2013

'66 Honda Trail 90 Chopper - Live slow/ die whenever

Long time lurker here. I've gotten loads of inspiration from other folks' builds, so I figured it was about time to start posting my own stuff.

First off, a little about me - I like small bikes. Mopeds, little hondas, hell even a scooter once in a while. I've got nothing against larger machines, but for now I'm content going slow and looking ridiculous while doing so.

A few years ago I really wanted to build myself a nice little trail 90. I scoured craigslist until I found a parts lot of about 2-1/2 bikes.

From the 2 rollers, I pieced together a sweet little 140cc screamer in about 3 months.

For more on that bike you can check it out here

That bike was fun as hell to build, and even more fun to ride, but that's not what this thread is about... This thread is about the 1/2 bike I got in the craigslist sale. Ok, it was TWO halves of a '66 trail 90 frame. Litterally, someone cut the damn thing in half. For what reason, I don't know. I stared at those pieces of bike until one day, the inevitable mock-up happened.

Last edited by 4doora; 02-08-2015, 5:14 PM.
  • 4doora
    • Dec 2013

Even though the flipped head tube provided some additional rake, it wasn't enough, so I cut some more.

Got a few pieces of pipe and stretched the underbone frame "6 over stock

I managed to track down a motor from a trail 70 to use. I could very well have just bought a Chinese pit-bike motor, but rebuilding OEM shit is more satisfying.
    Having the frame and motor mocked up on a table, I decided this bitch needs a skirt. A piece of sheet metal from homedepot and a few hours later I had this:

This was my first attempt at any sheet metal beating. I was quite happy with the results.

Comment

• 4doora
      • Dec 2013

The skirt is held on with a few small studs welded to the inside of the fender. Simple, but it works.

I made some struts from scrap pipe hanging around the garage.

Since I had to deal with the chain drive on the left side of the bike, I couldn't just jump into the second wheel skirt right away. I found this chain guard from some old bicycle on ebay, and took a chance on it.

As luck would have it, perfect fit.

Hours of hammering, cutting, bending, and cursing later I had this:

More mocking up, and an extremely clean gas tank/ seat pedistal off ebay for $10\

Comment

• 4doora
        • Dec 2013

I knew I needed some weird bars to go with the leading-link front forks. So I bought some 7/8" pipe, threw a jig together, and grabbed the torch.

Got em chopped and welded, now they just bolt on to the top of the forks. If you look closely, you can see the shifter poking up off the frame, and linkages hangin down.

Last summer I did manage to spray a few pieces to get a taste of what the paint will look like... rattle cans under automotive clear.

I'm still going on this bike, but that's all I have for pictures at the moment. Even under all this snow here in the Northeast, I've managed to get a few more things done - even managed to get it running. This is my first really custom build. It's been such a great release to just get the creative juices flowing. I'll get some more pictures taken and posted if anyone's interested.

-RJ
        Last edited by 4doora; 02-08-2015, 5:08 PM.

Comment

• CraiGORE
          • Jul 2011

haha this is so whacky I'm into it

I also want to know how you did a 140cc conversion. I would like to soup this thing up

Comment

• Ramzilla
            • Oct 2013

Why do I like this so much? I think it's awesome that you are chopping what you have.

Comment

• sinsai750
              • Jan 2014

Looks good to me really like the skirts keep up the progress.

Comment

• datadavid
                • Oct 2014

Thats gonna be sweet!

Comment

• kacivic
                  • Dec 2010

I love what you're doing to this Trail. Looks great so far!

Comment

• bparsel
                    • Jul 2011

Haha! I LOVE this thread. Keep it up!

Comment

• 4doora
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by CraiGORE
                      haha this is so whacky I'm into it

I also want to know how you did a 140cc conversion. I would like to soup this thing up
                      Damn, that's a clean little honda.
                      The engine on the trail bike is a crate LIFAN 140cc. Bolted up with some minor clearance grinding on the frame. The 140 has to run an oil cooler. Smaller (110s, 125) engines can get by without them. Wiring was all redone from scratch. Now 12v with cdi. You can buy the motors with everything you need to run for around $500

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll try to make my way to the garage for some current pics of the chopper.

Comment

• 4doora
                        • Dec 2013

Here's a shot of the custom intake I hacked together to mount my downdraft carb. Eventually gonna rock a velocity stack.

I rebuilt the top end of the motor, along with an 88cc kit. It should have some decent pep.

I'm running an internal throttle utilizing honda z50 parts.

My most recent progress on the bike includes the fabrication of this ridiculous exhaust. Might do a fishtail tip.

vid
                        Last edited by 4doora; 02-09-2015, 4:22 PM.

Comment

• CraiGORE
                          • Jul 2011

my old pushrod engine is able to wheelie I can't wait to see a wheelie vid from you.

totally whacky and awesome, bravo

Comment

• 71butcher
                            • Feb 2013

this is looking really cool.
                            love it.

Comment

• KevinN
                              • May 2014

My first bike after my tube frame mini bike was a step through Honda 50. It was a hand me down from my dad. He used to haul it in the back of his airplane. The down tube was cut similar to your pic only further up. It had a special sleeve with clamps and roll pins to hold it together. The electrics were modified with a cannon plug and the throttle slide would be removed from the carburetor and a special threaded container screwed over the slide and that set up allowed the front end to be free from the rest of the bike. It was a commercial aftermarket mod offered by the dealer. Seeing your cut down tube brought back the memory of this. Tough little bikes, I tried to tear it up but it withstood my abuse. I like what you are doing with your bikes, different and creative. Not everybody needs a '47 Knucklehead.
                              Last edited by KevinN; 02-10-2015, 5:55 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;