CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 81 sportster rear wheel offset, bent somewhere?

So a couple weeks ago I picked up an 81 sportster cheap that runs but isn't roadworthy. Get it home and start taking it apart and I notice that the rear wheel is majorly offset to the right. While I wait for carb parts and a few other misc things to come in I'm trying to figure out why the wheel is so far over to the right. The wheel looks straight up and down and the chain is riding true(by eye at least) although I haven't run a straight edge down the sprockets yet. I'll be pulling the wheel and swing arm off and checking for stress/bends/chipped paint, bad bearings/swingarm bushings, rim offset on hub, but I'm not sure whats going on at the moment. From what I've read it isn't uncommon to be offset a little bit but this seem a bit much to me. Don't crucify me as I haven't gone into much depths as to what the problem is but if anyone with more experience can point me in the right direction I'm all ears. I'm a mechanic and fabricator by trade but this is my first Harley. Going to take a little bit to learn all the common fail points and familiarize myself with the bike. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11798513_10206959732609749_202210484_n.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	62416

Name:	IMG_1283.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	62417

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	301.6 KB 
ID:	62418

Take pics where the swingarm mounts to the frame. And the rear motor mount. I just bought the same bike. Mine has the back frame broken where the motor mount attaches and the rear tire sits just like yours.

Share This