Slightly different take on a build thread...

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Westboundbiker
    • Oct 2014

Hot DAMN! That's one sexy ride.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
      • May 2014

Thanx guys!

Comment

• bikerbass
        • Dec 2013

This looks amazing! I'm going to run that same tank thanks to these photos. Thanks for a great thread!

Comment

• aurbanphoto
          • May 2014

Haha, right on dude!!! Thanx, glad ya dig it!

Comment

• aurbanphoto
            • May 2014

so recent happenings...

this bike has been running like a fuckin champ. an oily champ, due to a leaky clutch pushrod oil seal. and now I find this lil fucker in the oil yesterday...

now I believe I have a theory about this one. so I decided to swap out the leaky clutch pushrod oil seal. while doing that, I figured I'd replace the bushing while I was there, drill out the old and press in the new. did it, done... seemingly no more leak after a short test ride. now in firing it back up later and riding around, the clutch seems to be loosening up. so I go through a pattern of tightening the cable adjuster and the worm gear, and it keeps loosening up. I get it tight again and hear a noise coming from the clutch basket that sounds like the pressure plate hitting the case as I pull the clutch in... fuck! so I figure I'll drain the oil and pull the right side cover to inspect the clutch. and upon draining the oil is when I find what looks like a dog off a tranny gear! now after opening up the right side cover I found that the clutch basket indeed had play in it and was hitting the case as the retaining nut had backed out a touch... i assume due to the fact I had it in neutral when I drilled out the old clutch pushrod bushing. so with that.... ughhhh, fuck!!!

I guess I'll be pulling the engine today so I can crack open the bottom and dance with a busted ass tranny.
            Last edited by aurbanphoto; 06-04-2016, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• sandmanred
              • Oct 2015

Awesome build and photos, nice job!

Comment

• mandodave82
                • Dec 2014

dude those black and whites of the motor tore apart are awesome. I'd love to have a couple blown up to hang in my shop.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by mandodave82
                  dude those black and whites of the motor tore apart are awesome. I'd love to have a couple blown up to hang in my shop.
                  thanx dude! As i figure out print sales, gallery, & book things, I'll post updates here on chop cult.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                    • May 2014

stripped & tipped to pull the engine out...

then i pulled her in the house ass up so i could crack open the bottom end. sooo, tearing into the tranny...

and that'd be the culprit right there, 5th gear pinion...

i ended up finding a dude in town with a garage full of old xs stuff, and came up on a replacement for that 5th pinion. while i was in there i tossed in mike's 5th gear OD. buttoned everything up, tossed it back in the bike, and took her for a test spin. everything seemed fine on my test run, till... on my way home, getting ready to turn down my street and BANG!!! down to one cylinder with nasty clanking noise. she ran for a couple seconds after that, enough for me to pull the clutch and coast through a left onto my street after it died. went to kick it over, engine fired up for a couple revolutions then died, still with the loud clanking noise. not far from home, i walked it back home.

my first though about the loud clanking noise... valves, and sure as shit, dropped the fucking intake valve on the right cylinder. seems the valve spring retainer decided to take a shit!

at least it wasn't a tranny problem, LOL! so after just having cracked the bottom end open, now i gotta crack open the top end and sort out this mess, FUCK!!! oh well, i guess this would be a good time to give it a lil cc & compression bump with a JE 700 piston set.
                    Last edited by aurbanphoto; 06-24-2016, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• wolfraider
                      • Jan 2013

Great pics and great built! A picture says more than a thousand words, they say!
                      Multiplied by the amount of pictures, you've dona a lot of talking!!!!!

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by wolfraider
                        Great pics and great built! A picture says more than a thousand words, they say!
                        Multiplied by the amount of pictures, you've dona a lot of talking!!!!!
                        haha, right on, thanx man

Comment

• BUKNEKK4D
                          • Jun 2016

I dig it. too bad about the motor though. Hi-po rebuild time? lol

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

Odd bad mechanical luck, but there are plenty of 650 engines around for spares and the bike looks very good. Classic lines. Me like.

Strange that retainer cracked in half. I've not seen that before.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                              • May 2014

Originally posted by farmall
                              Odd bad mechanical luck, but there are plenty of 650 engines around for spares and the bike looks very good. Classic lines. Me like.

Strange that retainer cracked in half. I've not seen that before.
                              odd indeed! i have a spare head lying around, with valves, springs, ect... i'm debating pulling one of the retainers from there vs buying something aftermarket.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                                • May 2014

well, finally getting close to being able to make some progress on this fucker. my summer was a lil busier than expected not leaving me with much time to fuck around turning wrenches. anyway, since i gotta pull the engine and do a top end, and it's stock bore as is... i opted to contact hoos racing. had them bore out the extra cylinders i had lying around, as well as a shell #1 grind on a 277 cam which should make its way to me here shortly. going the JE 700cc route, with new valve springs & retainers. i haven't done the tear down yet so as not to have the engine taking up space in the house, but something tells me i might want to replace the valves and guides as well. i'm getting fucking antsy to get this lil shit beast back on the road.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;