Slightly different take on a build thread...

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aurbanphoto
    • May 2014

and she needed cabs... she came with some, but i knew from the get go that i was going to ditch the stock cv's and go the mikuni route as i have more experience playing with those. i hit up MMM at 650 central and he got me all sorted out in the carb department with a pair of vm 34's, the hi vo ar manifolds, uni filters, and throttle cable. dude was spot on with the jetting!!! now as for petcocks... i snagged a pair w/ reserve feature from tc bros, not sure if its the petcocks or the angle of the tank, or the angle of the petcocks, but the reserve feature dont work for shit. fuckers left me stranded on the side of the road at 4am pushing the bike a mile to the nearest gas station.

it was also fender time, i used the 5" wide wassell style ribbed fender from throttle addiction, and made the struts out of 1/2" round bar and some bungs from lowbrow.

i also made up an "A" shaped bracket with the 1/2" bar and bungs that is welded to the frame, kinda hard to see in this pic, but i'll get a cleaner shot of it in due time.

at this point, i was very happy with the lines on this bike and how everything was coming together.

Comment

• loddytoddy
      • Jul 2014

how are you liking them springs? I hated mine..

Comment

• aurbanphoto
        • May 2014

Originally posted by loddytoddy
        how are you liking them springs? I hated mine..
        so far i dig em, but it was kind of a pain in the ass for me setting them up with this frame and seat... like i said previously, i had intended on running the beehives originally and bought the bungs and such accordingly, but once i got to mounting everything, beehives just were not going to work with the placement of everything and the angle of the screws on the back of the seat. i cut off the posts on the mounts you see in the pic above and drilled and tapped for a screw to tighten them down. i also ended up bending the springs a bit where they meet the screws on the back of the seat. i got the springs from la rosa, as i heard that they have more action to them than the ones lowbrow offers (which i heard were like rock hard stiff). the la rosa's definitely have some action to them, I'm not a big dude at all, weighing in around 155 after lunch soaking wet.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
          • May 2014

oh hey, look... a headlight...

and so this is how she stood at that point, almost ready to run, but not quite. I still needed to iron out my front and rear brake situation, lower the forks, tackle the electric, as well as tail lights and plate bracket.

and so there she was, forks removed, ready for the hhb lowering spacers.

Comment

• DINGO
            • Feb 2015

Your bike is coming out awesome man. Any updates?

Comment

• Jcruiser70
              • Aug 2014

Looking good, nice pics too. I've always thought engine internals make great artwork.

Comment

• bikerbass
                • Dec 2013

Very nice. I'm planning on a tank from TA myself and I've got the same stretch/drop on my DB hardtail. Photos are beautiful!

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                  • May 2014

Thanx guys, I'll post some more pics here in a bit.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by bikerbass
                    Very nice. I'm planning on a tank from TA myself and I've got the same stretch/drop on my DB hardtail. Photos are beautiful!
                    Right on man! Yea, I probably thought way too much on the stretch for the hardtail, I was torn over 0" vs 2" stretch. All in all, glad I went with the 2". Which tank you planning on from TA? I totally dig the way the mid tunnel wassell sits.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                      • May 2014

time for tail / brake lights and the license plate bracket... for the tail lights i used two mini bates style led tail lights from dime city cycles. i took the bottom mounts that came with the lights and welded them to coped bungs from lowbrow, then welded to the frame.

for the license palate bracket, i just welded up some pieces of flat bar to the frame so i could curve the plate along the shape of the looped tail section.

since the frame has a 2" drop and i lowered the front forks 2", i had to figure out a kick stand solution... i ended up chopping up the original kickstand to take off a couple inches and welded it back together. i also had to house some electric crap, so i pulled a domed cap, flat cap, and 6" tubing from bung king, and put together a lil "electrics tank". the dome top holds the ignition switch and kill switch, and removes from the tank via allen screw that thread into nuts welded to the cap and tank. hidden underneath the tank are my ignition coils. inside the tank, i made a bracket to hold an antigravity 4 cell battery and fuse panel. my reg/rec is mounted underneath the engine where the starter used to live.

and so i can see jackasses behind me... a halcyon bar end mirror. and kind of hard to tell from this pic, but i mounted a mini speedo to the fork using a 34mm fork clamp for a steering dampener.

and so this is how she stood, ready to kick over and shake down...

Last edited by aurbanphoto; 02-16-2015, 9:08 AM.

Comment

• gantman
                        • Jun 2013

This is fucking epic. Amazing shots, awesome build. Well done, sir.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                          • May 2014

Originally posted by gantman
                          This is fucking epic. Amazing shots, awesome build. Well done, sir.

Haha, thanx man!!!

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                            • May 2014

at this point, she was ready to fire up, i got her started sorted out my timing and carb sync. like i said earlier, MMM over at 650 Central was spot on with the jetting! went for a ride, 20 miles in, she craps out and won't kick back over. had a buddy run over to my house to grab my truck and ramp... it was fucking depressing looking at her strapped down in the bed of my truck. did some investigating, and like i thought, the reg/rec was toast... which in turn killed that stupid expensive lil lith battery. I'm pretty sure I'm the one that fucked up the reg/rec, i remember when i was doing my initial wiring, smelling an electric burning. I had popped the main fuse, but i guess i killed the reg/rec while i was at it. Well, i swapped both out after waiting for shit in the mail (thats the fuckin worst when you can't move forward, just gotta wait). got her running again and went for about 15 miles, and toward the end i noticed the clutch was getting looser and looser. so i tightened when i got back home. later that night, took her to got meet a buddy at a bar... two blocks from the bar, clutch starts getting loose again, so i pull over, kill it and tighten the clutch again. i kick her back over and go to pull in the clutch... thunk thunk thunk thunk... coming from inside the clutch cover. Son of a bitch!!! i rode her the two blocks to the bar, then made the call to get the truck out again. did a little investigating the next day... apparently my washer stacking sequence was off behind the clutch basket. now i was a little confused when i initially put the clutch back together during the rebuild as i had seen a couple different / conflicting diagrams about the washer stacking... whatever, i figured it out. once she was all buttoned back up she was running like a champ. put 200 miles on her, no problems at all. i took her over to the Dania Beach Vintage Bike Show... the bike was one year too young to judge, but they let her hang out with the rest of the bikes on the field with "don't you judge me" tag on her. it was a rad day, hung out with friends, met some cool people, got some good feedback, even ran into the dude that i got the engine and frame from. he was stoked to see that something actually came from it... he thought it was going to end up as one of those builds that never get built. so after all that, this is how she looks now...

it was tough to tear her back down, but the frame needs proper paint, and i've got some ideas for the tank and fender. so cross your fingers and hope i don't fuck up too bad on the paint!!!

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                              • May 2014

so i got everything painted and back together a while ago, got caught up and forgot to post some pics of the bike back together, enjoy...

Attached Files
                              Last edited by aurbanphoto; 07-09-2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• DanCranMan
                                • Jun 2015

Man that is a BA bike, makes me want to build one! Great work and pics!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;