CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default xs650, a slightly different take on a build thread...

So I've been a long time lurker, but this is my first post. I've found a lot of inspiration, and found answers to many a question... so thank you to all of you asking questions, answering questions, and building rad stuff in your shops/garages/backyards!!!

Now that that's out of the way, a little bit about myself and this project. Well, I'm a photographer by profession and was looking to build myself a bike as well as shoot a personal project that would give me a nice collection of images for a gallery show and possibly a coffee table book... whatever, I just needed a release, something to build with my hands, a way to stay out of trouble in my free time. Needless to say it has completely consumed me for the past year and a half.

Soooo, here is a lil iPhone snap of where I started, '81 xs650, non running, non titled, just an engine, a frame, and a box of mostly useless rusty and crusty crap...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by aurbanphoto; 02-07-2015 at 8:37 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

first obstacle... get title. did an online records search on the vin, not stolen. called out the local sherifs to take a look and run the vin again, still not stolen, last time it was registered was in early 90's. tracked down the original owner, sent a letter... nothing. super frustrating!!! after extensive research, i found a very nice gentleman in orlando that handles this sort of situation, and for next to nothing on top of the standard title and transfer fees, dude handled all the legal bs in dealing with mvd and got the thing titled in my name. if you find yourself in the same situation, shoot me a message and i will gladly share his contact info with you.

Get Adobe Flash player

sooooo... i figured i'd tear apart the engine next and see what was hidden inside. now for the "fancy" pics, and where my lil photo project begins.

Last edited by aurbanphoto; 06-05-2016 at 8:11 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I guess your 650 came with the pussy magnet.. VEry nicee. But seriously, awesome pictures, keep it up Bruh

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by nohonestlyitsme View Post
    I guess your 650 came with the pussy magnet.. VEry nicee. But seriously, awesome pictures, keep it up Bruh
    Yea, came with the oem pussy magnet in place... Had to ditch it though, only attracted the harry variety. Gotta swap it out for a custom magnet that draws a smoother variety more frequently!

Thanx man, more pics on the way for sure.

Get Adobe Flash player

nice pics

Get Adobe Flash player

Beautiful pictures. I would say even sexy.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanx guys!

Beautiful pics, dude. That's gonna make a helluva gallery show or coffee table book or whatever you do with it. What's next?

Get Adobe Flash player

as you can see from the pics above, shitload of oxidation on the outside of the cases. You can really see how nasty is was on the pic of the head cover. From what I found digging up info on the bike, she spent her previous life in Titusville, Florida... probably forgotten, chillin outside. I removed all of the oxidation on the lower cases and side covers myself. after going through way to many brushes and scotch brite pads, and exhausting my expletive vocabulary, I decided to send the jugs, head, and head cover out to get blasted. I could not for the life of me get all of the oxidation out from between the fins. Once clean, I laid down a matte black ceramic paint, and went back over the edges of the fins on the head with acetone to give the shaved fin look on the head.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by killmoretrout View Post
    Beautiful pics, dude. That's gonna make a helluva gallery show or coffee table book or whatever you do with it. What's next?

Thanx dude! The bike was actually all built an coated in primer as of last week. Took it out to the Dania Beach vintage bike show with 200 miles on the rebuilt engine. She's currently back to a pile of parts awaiting final paint. I'm just now getting my lazy ass to going through all my pics and figuring out what I'm going to do with them, and share with everybody here in the process. I will probably be uploading more of my pics today.

Get Adobe Flash player

as for the internals of the engine, everything seemed to be in pretty good shape. Jugs were stock bore, no pitting or scoring, Pistons looked fine other than the carbon buildup. Tranny gears looked good, as did the dogs. The cam chain tensioner was worn but not broken like I hear about all the time. All the bearings were in good condition. Valves were straight and cleaned up very well. So now for putting shit back together, here's what I dropped in...

-Hugh's hand built rephrased stock crank and cam
    -needle bearing & thrust washer for the clutch
    -one piece clutch rod
    -new clutch springs and retainer screws
    -new clutch friction plates
    -freeze plug for starter motor block off, and removed all internal electric start gears
    -replaced all gaskets and oil seals
    -new oil sight glass
    -reused stock Pistons with new rings
    -new cam chain tensioner
    -new cam chain
    -sump filter
    -oil filter
    -tach plug
    -cleaned up the heads casting flaws in intake and exhaust
    -lapped the valves
    -replaced all copper sealing washers
    -and all new stainless nuts and bolts
    -pamco 277 ignition
    -Hugh's hand built pma kit
    -NGK iridium plugs
    -mini dyna single coils
    Last edited by aurbanphoto; 06-06-2016 at 8:09 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Art and engineering. My 2 favorite things.

Get Adobe Flash player

I like there this thread is going! Looking forward to future posts.

Get Adobe Flash player

and now, the rebuild pics...

Get Adobe Flash player

and now, on to building the bike...

the dude i got this from was planing on building himself something, but decided to ditch it and work on an hd platform instead... perfect, cause this was exactly what i was looking for. he had started to cut out the neck gusset, and clean up the top of the trees but still left me with some work to do on it.

dude had also shaved the forks... not quite what i wanted, as i wanted to keep at least one brake up front and maybe run a front fender.

stock tail section, yea, thats going in the junk pile too...

i cut that bitch in half and tacked on a david bird looped hardtail from lowbrow, 2" stretch & 2" drop. i also tossed on some euro bars i had lying around.

i couldn't bear to look at those mags any more and knew from the start that if this bitch was gonna wear shoes, she sure as shit was gonna have some shiny laces. i scored front and rear spoke wheels off of ebay, cleaned the hubs up and ditched the old spokes and rims. i purchased new rims and stainless spokes, 19" front and 18" rear. painted the hubs and the inner portion of the rims with a satin black urethane, leaving the shoulder of the rim polished aluminum. i laced the rims up myself (took me a couple tries), and took em to a local shop for tires and to have them balanced and trued. the whole wheel swap process cost me a couple more pennies than i was planning on, but whatever... super happy with how it was looking at that point. i also ditched the shaved forks and swapped em out with a stock set off of ebay. i shaved the brake mounts off the left fork leaving brake mounts on the right as well as the fender mounts on both sides.

Get Adobe Flash player

Best thread going right now, love the number and quality of pictures. Keep it up man!

Get Adobe Flash player

good stuff man!

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanx for the kind words gentlemen

Get Adobe Flash player

love this thread.. nice photos and nice rebuild.. this should be made into a coffee table book.

Share This