X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dxxsilva
    • Feb 2015

Speak your mind!! !Just picked up a 80's CB 750 K

Hello guys.

So i just got my self a cb750k in order to start a project. This is going to be more of learning experience for me since I dont have much experience. I hope some of you will be willing to point me in the right direction and answer questions i have along the way. I dont mind getting second opinions on everything so feel free to speak up. I know I would love to build out a cafe racer or a bobber but i am going to work with what i got and if you look at the bike i think it would look good if it is turned into something that looks like a brat style motorcycle. I attached a picture of what i have envisioned.(black cb750). I l also attached a picture of where mine currently stand and what i got. I have a couple questions as i am in the planning stage.

Where should i start? Should i get the engine running first before anything or could that be a last step?

What are some sites to begin ordering parts that i would need? I know i need the following:

Tachometer, speedometer, carb rebuild kit, chain, spark plugs.

My oil pan has a leak and pretty sure i need to get this done soon. What will i need? There is no damage just leak from the seal.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dxxsilva; 02-04-2015, 10:35 PM.
  • jethro57
    • Jul 2013

looks like a future cafe to me,
    parts are plentiful for those check ebay among others
    factory service manual is the first thing you should get

Comment

• EVILBLACKSABRE
      • Dec 2013

I'd get it running first.

I think it would suck if you finished the build, put a lot of time and money into it, then found out there was a serious problem with the engine and it had to be scrapped.

The most important part of a bike is the engine. I'd start with that and work your way outward.

There are many online parts retailers. For aftermarket parts I usually check Dennis Kirk or one of the many sponsors of this site (you can see their ads all over the place). For stock factory parts I've been buying from Bikebandit for many years. I just checked and Bikebandit has stock parts for several model years of the Honda cb750k.

Of course Google is always your friend when looking for bike parts. Do a Google search for cb750k and you'll find lots of info and parts.

Spark plugs can generally be bought at auto parts stores.

As for your oil leak, the simplest fix would be to install a new seal.
      Last edited by EVILBLACKSABRE; 02-05-2015, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• PeteyD13
        • Mar 2014

I would most definately get it running first, then start playing with custom parts. You could go whichever way you want with a that bike, they make great bobbers, or great cafes. Lots of parts out there for either. Old bike barn's a good one stop shop for regular maint or custom parts. Dime City Cycles is great for cafes, I like Lowbrow Customs and Deadbeat customs a lot for parts too.

First step is a shop manual, buy one, or download it. It'll be crucial. There are a ton of Honda specific web sites and forums with tons of tech and info on these bikes that'll help you on your way. Great bike to learn on.

Good luck!

Comment

• dxxsilva
          • Feb 2015

Ill have to do a search for a shop manual.I will need to read it over and get a good grasp on how to hook the engine up to the harness which should arrive soon. the only parts i had was the rectifier and coils. I believe i still need to get the regulator and start switch, correct me if I'm wrong.PLEASE! If anyone knows where i can download the shop manual please give me a shout.

Comment

• Hippie459MN
            • Aug 2013

I have a digital copy of the shop manual. Shoot me a PM and I will hook ya up.

I have a 1979 CB750 and love it. Of course mine no longer has the original frame and the motor resides in an old AMEN hardtail frame but everything else still applies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140609_120056.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	1279841

Comment

• Pendulum
              • Jul 2011

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that saving the engine for last is totally fine, but only IF you're planning on a full engine rebuild as part of the build. If you're not planning on going through the engine, then I'd say start there. If it turns out it's going to need a lot of work, you can plot your course based on that knowledge.

Comment

• dxxsilva
                • Feb 2015

So i found this manual online but am not sure if it can be applied to my 1980 cb750k. Anyone know ?

I will probably start with the engine to see if it runs. If the engine is fine then ill leave it for now but will probably have someone with more experience do the rebuild when i take it off the frame. i don't know much about doing an engine rebuild.

Hippie459 is this the same manual you used?
                Last edited by dxxsilva; 02-05-2015, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• jethro57
                  • Jul 2013

that goes up to 77, there will be differences, I may have one but they should be readily available on the net, Honda wasnt as anal as Harley about copyrighting their manuals

Comment

• Hippie459MN
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by dxxsilva
                    Hippie459 is this the same manual you used?
                    Nope. I do have that one also but that one is for a SOHC (Up to 78), The one I have is for DOHC (79-83). PM Sent....

Comment

• PeteyD13
                      • Mar 2014

Here man, check this site out. Metric ton of CB750 info and probably links to the right year shop manual for ya.

Comment

• dxxsilva
                        • Feb 2015

Thanks for the manual guys.

Im pretty sure its the shop manual ive been looking for. Looks like a good read

ill start with the engine this weekend. im expecting the missing parts today.
                        Last edited by dxxsilva; 02-06-2015, 7:08 AM.

Comment

• jethro57
                          • Jul 2013

I will say that is one of the cleanest looking engines I've seen on an old bike in some time

Comment

• dxxsilva
                            • Feb 2015

The person i got it from had 2 motorcycle to sell. I picked this one because i kept hearing about parts and how its a good bike to start with.

Comment

• dxxsilva
                              • Feb 2015

Update:
                              so i going to need a new harness the original is in pieces and chopped. I have soldering experience but is it difficult to wire this cb750k. I also found out i am missing the starter motor . Its the one on page 2.

I did find a starter motor on craigslist for 60 bucks but would like another option. is there any where i can get one after market that may be cheaper??

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;