Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2Loose
    • Feb 2014

Workin on my '62

Been working on my '62 FL for awhile now. A long bike I've had since 1968.
    Ran it for years with no front brake, time to put one on, but severely narrowed
    forks don't leave a lot of room. Have a '85 Suzuki front disk and caliper, so machined
    a carrier to fit that disk onto the front 21" w/ a star hub and it fits between that narrowed front end
    quite nicely.

Put the front forks together, put the wheel and brake rotor on,
    and propped up the axle so the wheel can spin....

Here you can see how tight this space is, 1"....
    I got that rotor right where I want it !
    AND, it spins true, no wobble at all....

The caliper looks good on top of the rotor....

Maybe a little further back, almost touching the fork leg....

Or maybe it should go under the fork leg ??
    It looks like the mounting bracket would be smaller and fit better in this location....

Whichever way I go, I now need to fab a bracket to mount that caliper.

I have kept a personal web page on this build, a lot of pix and info there, please take a look if you are interested.

LINK to Willy's '62 FL pages...

Aloha from Maui
    2Loose Willy
    Last edited by 2Loose; 01-31-2015, 5:44 PM.
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

..... Suzuki, Huh ......

What I'm going to suggest is perhaps a little cleaner look....

Click image for larger version

Name:	RDBikes001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1279683

Click image for larger version

Name:	RDBikes003-1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1279684

Super small sallow back Jay Brake solid mount two piston calipers....
    Hub is late Harley dual flange...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 01-31-2015, 6:09 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• 2Loose
      • Feb 2014

A year or so ago I did a complete tear down on this bike, it's been parked since about 1990.
      The motor is a stock '74 inch, warmed up a little, now freshly rebuilt, also the tranny and the
      wheels and front forks.

When I mocked it up to see what else needed to be moved, cut off, or welded back onto
      the frame, it looked like this:

Everything you see there was on the bike before, except the frame and gas tank,
      they've been sitting in my parts shed for a long time. The frame is a Denver's frame
      I've had for about 30 years.

Pulled it apart again and sand blasted everything needing it, Ospho etched them and primered them.
      Final paint will be GM Torche Red, which is what it had before.

Only the frame, tank and rear fender are for the bike, the other parts are for one of my trucks.

Aloha,
      Willy
      Last edited by 2Loose; 02-01-2015, 3:28 PM.

Comment

• 2Loose
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Dragstews
        ..... Suzuki, Huh ......

What I'm going to suggest is perhaps a little cleaner look....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56147[/ATTACH]
        Hiya Jesse,
        yeah, that is a nice, clean look....

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by 2Loose
          Hiya Jesse,
          Aloha Willy .....
          Last edited by Dragstews; 01-31-2015, 6:15 PM.

Comment

• Shayski
            • Nov 2013

Great project, would love to see you finish it.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Shayski
              Great project, would love to see you finish it.
              I would like to see more progress on the Supercharged bike....
              That's going to be one Kick-Ass Cycle....

Comment

• 2Loose
                • Feb 2014

Ha!
                Tell my wife to quit adding so many things to my "honey-do" list !!!

Comment

• 2Loose
                  • Feb 2014

Been really busy, but found a little time today to cut some cardboard....

It fits in there really well, and I have the caliper's frame located where I can drill and tap for a bolt from the fork slider's brake lug directly into the frame:

Now to make this bracket out of 1/4" steel. Wish I had some stainless to do this with.
                  Willy

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Glad to see you'll over here......... Your bikes looking real nice.....

Comment

• 2Loose
                      • Feb 2014

Thanks Tat...
                      Just wish I could get up more energy to work on 'em like I usta, bein' in my 70's has definitely slowed me down.
                      Plus my retired school teacher wife's "honeydoo list" always seems endless....

Comment

• 2Loose
                        • Feb 2014

The first step is to get the frame for the caliper correctly located,
                        and drill and tap a hole in it for the anchor bolt on the fork slider.

Decided I needed to be able to more accurately align the pads with the rotor, so I
                        pulled off the caliper but left the pads loaded in the frame, transfer punched the center of
                        the fork slider hole to the caliper frame after the pads were accurately lined up...

The hole in the fork slider for the brake is 7/16". So I used a 7/16" transfer
                        punch to mark the center of the fork slider brake lug on the caliper frame,
                        Then drilled and tapped it for a 7/16" fine thread, and bolted it up with a 1/4"
                        thick washer as a spacer, as the final caliper support down to the axle will be 1/4".
                        The two original holes in the caliper frame were 10mm fine, drilled them and
                        retapped them also to 7/16" fine.

I'm looking for some ss 7/16" fine thread allen head bolts to use on this, the cap screws are ok for now though...

Pulled a piece of 1/4" thick channel out of the scrap pile to cut the final piece.

There is a bit of a problem here though, as the fork slider brake anchor tab
                        is not in alignment with where the part that fits on the axle, so they will be two
                        separate pieces that will be aligned and welded back together.

It's gettin' there....
                        Aloha,
                        Willy

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 2Loose
                          Thanks Tat...
                          Just wish I could get up more energy to work on 'em like I usta, bein' in my 70's has definitely slowed me down.
                          Plus my retired school teacher wife's "honeydoo list" always seems endless....

Man I wish we lived closer I'd be glad to help all I could.....

Comment

• 2Loose
                            • Feb 2014

Rough cut these two pieces for the brake caliper support
                            from some 1/4" scrap steel I had on the junk pile....
                            Left plenty of room around the edges to reshape as necessary....

The bottom piece overlaps behind the top piece, as the fit on
                            the axle is offset 1/4" from the fit at the original brake lug on the fork slider.

Fitted the upper piece to the caliper....

And transfer punched the three holes to get the centers...

Drilled with an 1/8" bit first to center the holes, then with a 7/16" bit....
                            It bolted up perfectly....

Another view....
                            The long center bolt will anchor it to the lug on the fork slider....

The chalk mark shows where I have to trim it a bit to get a better fit against the fork slider.
                            I'll do that a little at a time until I get the fit I want.

Now to cut the hole in the other piece to fit the axle,
                            fit the two pieces together, and weld them....

Aloha,
                            Willy

LINK to other pages on my site for the '62

Comment

• 2Loose
                              • Feb 2014

Had to keep trimming the bottom of that upper piece until I got a good fit
                              against the side of the fork slider and the brake lug....

This piece now fits snugly against the side of the fork slider when bolted up solidly....
                              And there is good alignment with the brake disk....

Looks good from the other side as well....

And the front wheel will still drop out with the caliper in place, a good thing....

Cut the 1-1/4" hole in the lower piece, put it on and aligned the two pieces, overlapping them....
                              And welded em' up....

Checked em' against my templates, this is working out well....

The other side, this is the side that faces the wheel....

Bolted everything up, and flipped the forks over to the correct side up, and it all looks great !
                              I still need to do some more grinding and polishing, then some paint, and that bracket is done....

I'm looking for a master cylinder, kinda old style looking, for the handlebars....

Aloha,
                              Willy

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;