Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBW5
    • Jan 2013

opinions on millermatic 140 autoset

Like the title says, I'm looking for opinions on the millermatic 140. Particularly for motorcycle related projects. I've ran across one at a good value. thanks for any input.
  • JBW5
    • Jan 2013

Also have a good lead on a Hobart 140 with tank and cart.

Comment

• EasyCompany78
      • Sep 2014

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	1279645Click image for larger version

Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	1279647Click image for larger version

Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	1279648 I just bought the millermatic 140 a couple of months ago. Im very happy with the machine. Its great for smaller gauge material. I am a novice welder and the autoset feature helps out to start then you can just fine tune as needed.
      Attached Files

Comment

• bobscogin
        • Jun 2011

This doesn't answer your question directly, but if I can offer you any input, it would be to step up to a 220 Volt machine with more amps. The 140 class machines have limitations which you will quickly discover as your welding skills grow.

Bob

Comment

• metalheart28
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by JBW5
          Also have a good lead on a Hobart 140 with tank and cart.
          I have a Hobart 140 and its a good little machine. I've had it for about 3 years now with no complaints. Mainly use it on smaller motorcycle related stuff and it's always worked great.

Comment

• Scar55
            • Jan 2014

A 140 machine will do about anything you want on a motorcycle. Even al. if you have gas and a liner. It is a bit of a pita though. Everyone will tell you, you should move up to a 220 machine and it's true. But if your dollars only let you get that or nothing, then for sure get started with that. I started with a 90 amp century I bought at a yard sale. Very limited in what it could do but a good learner machine. Learned about limitations. I now have a Miller Syncro Wave 250, Miller mig 200, and Lincoln plasma, and oxy-acetylene set up.

Kelly

Comment

• GreasyGary
              • Feb 2015

Its all what you want to do. We built tow trucks with a little millermatic 140. Wasn't the autoset model. Click image for larger version

Name:	10847993_317879708418768_7422895851671905182_n.jpg
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1280482 We built this truck back in 2004 with a 110v. 140 Miller mig welder. Truck is still together today. My old boss bought new trucks because he got out of pulling junks and doing more commercial towing. No customer wants to ride in a 84 Chevy tow truck with no A/C in the middle of summer.
              So yes, a 140 will do just about anything on a motorcycle. If you should have to weld anything thicker than 3/16, make multiple passes and preheat for penetration. Greasy

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

MANY body shops have those little machines because you can carry them inside the car. I'd set it up for gas but flux-core does work.

The mother lode of Miller welder info is here: http://www.millerwelds.com/

Check the forums and the training video section. Also visit http://weldingweb.com/

Miller and Hobart have the same parent company and are both good makers.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;