Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • actionemil
    • Jan 2015

Narrow Duo Glide Panshovel build

My name is Emil and I'm a 26 year old Swede. I thought I'd share some pictures of my current build, a S&S panhead case with shovelhead cylinders and top ends. 3-5/8" bore and 4-5/8" stroke. Original 4-speed transmission. The idea is to keep the duo glide frame (1964) and swing arm. But to make it as narrow as possible. Made a special order to get narrow and shorter springs that I'll fit on top of the swing arm (rather on the side). 35mm sportster fork and a narrow sportster tank. Hope you get the idea.

What it looked like when I picked it up last summer.

Cleaned it up within a couple of weeks. Just to be able to ride through the short summer.
    • Cut the pipes and rear fender.
    • Replaced Mikuni carb with S&S Super-B, handlebars, the seat, head lamp, Dyna Twin Fire with an Accel.
    • Removed oil cooler and front fender.

Taking it apart.

Bought a new pair of top ends. Porting them in order to improve performance.

Fine level tuning of the seats for both rocker cover and cylinder. Also milled them up to 3-5/8" from standard.

I'm really into the looks of the 70's ironhead sportster rocker covers. Worked on the shovelhead covers and I think they turned out rather nice. They'll get polished just like the cam cover.

Just finished lacing a 18" drop-centre wheel with a star hub. Looking for a nice spool hub and spokes for the front rim, which are going on my 21" VM1.

Please feel free to give me some feedback. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.
    Last edited by actionemil; 04-11-2015, 3:03 AM.
  • bparsel
    • Jul 2011

Awesome start to a build! Welcome to CC.

Comment

• Rezi
      • Jul 2012

I really like the way the rocker covers are split. Somehow different than seen before. Nice work!

Comment

• spent
        • Feb 2013

Welcome to the CC; way to get off to a good start. I'd ride either of the previous versions of that bike, but I like where you're heading with it.

Not a fan of the later 'notched' Ironhead valve covers, and I burned out on split Shov boxes a long time ago; nonetheless, I'm really digging the 'almost split' boxes you have there.

Comment

• actionemil
          • Jan 2015

Thanks for the warm welcoming.
          Originally posted by spent
          Welcome to the CC; way to get off to a good start. I'd ride either of the previous versions of that bike, but I like where you're heading with it.

Not a fan of the later 'notched' Ironhead valve covers, and I burned out on split Shov boxes a long time ago; nonetheless, I'm really digging the 'almost split' boxes you have there.
          After the cleanup the bike rode like a dream and sounded like thunder. Because of the weather here in Sweden we have about 5 months of riding, then 7 months of winter/cold. It's a good time to let the imagination have a go though.

I left the oil channel between the rocker chambers untouched. In that way I don't have to weld the existing holes and then make new ones. Here's another picture of it.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	pansho17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	1279586

Comment

• lowpala
            • Jun 2013

Love those rocker boxes! Blir till att följa den här tråden

Comment

• glide
              • Jan 2015

rockers boxes are really nice pretty work

Comment

• actionemil
                • Jan 2015

thanks lowpala and glide.

Laced the rear wheel and go it down to 0.3mm deviation both radially and side to side.

Name:	pansho22.jpg
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	1279787

Used some plastic padding in order to even out the surface on the gas tank. They're rather wavy on the sides. Grinded it down in 3 stages. First with 80 grade paper, then 240 and finished off with an 800. Used some spray-filler PP between the 240 and 800. Surface turned out really nice and it's now ready for lacquer.

Name:	pansho24.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1279788

Name:	pansho23.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1279791

Went to a swap meet during the weekend and picked up this 58-62 hydraulic rear drum plate. Not really top notch but with some autosol it'll look decent.

Name:	pansho21.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1279789

Next up is to lathe the top surface of the cylinders and installing a thunder jet on the Super-B. Also working on my transmission as the 3'rd gear was terrible. Will probably change it to a long 1'st and a short 3'rd gear.

Name:	pansho15.jpg
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	1279790

By the way, I'm on instagram under the same username. Less text, more pictures.

Comment

• madmagnus
                  • Nov 2014

Your bike will be awesome, will you change the swingarm for a round one? i'm surprised it doesnt have one already considering it's an old dropseat frame.
                  Go Sweden!

Comment

• actionemil
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by madmagnus
                    Your bike will be awesome, will you change the swingarm for a round one? i'm surprised it doesnt have one already considering it's an old dropseat frame.
                    Go Sweden!
                    Tack! I was actually about to write in your thread. I did buy a round swingarm last summer. It's a lot better looking than the squared one.

Below is a quick mock-up with the new shocks. They've got an OD of 50mm (standard are about 62mm). I had them special made from Hagon with 196lb springs. The standard springs are listed at 245/340lb, but I've chopped quite a lot of weight and will be riding solo. Should do the trick.

Name:	pansho25.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1279792

Comment

• madmagnus
                      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by actionemil
                      Tack! I was actually about to write in your thread. I did buy a round swingarm last summer. It's a lot better looking than the squared one.

Below is a quick mock-up with the new shocks. They've got an OD of 50mm (standard are about 62mm). I had them special made from Hagon with 196lb springs. The standard springs are listed at 245/340lb, but I've chopped quite a lot of weight and will be riding solo. Should do the trick.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56263[/ATTACH]
                      Now i understand how you narrowed your rear, it looks good.

Comment

• nuklhd
                        • Sep 2013

coming along very nice. how did it get the 1964 designation? neither side case looks 64 to me.

Comment

• madmagnus
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by nuklhd
                          coming along very nice. how did it get the 1964 designation? neither side case looks 64 to me.
                          In Sweden it's frame numbers only, engine vin doesn't matter. When you import a pre 70s Harley from USA to Sweden the Frame is always stamped with the numbers from the registration papers. So in Sweden and i guess the rest of Europe the title goes to the frame no matter what year it was made.

Comment

• actionemil
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by nuklhd
                            Thanks. Just like madmagnus said, the frame registration states 1964. Mine's an S&S block but with original cylinders and top ends. With pre 1974 papers you don't need indicators, mirrors, speedo etc. Not that it'll matter much when I blast away with straight pipes and no front brake.

Received my new rear fender yesterday. It's a copy of the original 36-48 fender. Disc grinder will begin the slaughter very soon.

Name:	pansho26.jpg
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1279836
                            Last edited by actionemil; 02-08-2015, 4:26 PM.

Comment

• actionemil
                              • Jan 2015

Last night I made the gas tank mounts. Lathed and threaded two knutches, drilled holes in the frame and welded them in place.

Name:	pansho27.jpg
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	1279880

Name:	pansho28.jpg
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	1279881

And tonight I started with the rear shock mounts. I took two pieces of flat iron that I grinded down a bit.

Name:	pansho29.jpg
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	1279882
                              Since the surface on the inside of the swing arm is flat where the original mounts were fitted. I welded the flat iron onto there.

Name:	pansho30.jpg
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	1279883

Name:	pansho31.jpg
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	1279884

Next post... running out of attachments...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;