CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Different Sportster Tanks

So basically, I hate the tiny peanut tank / stock sportsters tank. I think they look dumb on a sporty. Anyone have any photos of other style tanks on their sportster? I've been looking at the King Gas Tanks but I can't find any photos online of an early 2000's sportster with one. I think it would look good with a tank lift. post some pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Early 2000s sporties come stock with a "king" gas tank. They hold 3.3 gallons and have a rounded bottom edge. The flat bottom sporty tanks before that hold about 2.5 gal. Maybe your talking about the tanks that the rubber mount xlc series tanks that hold about 4 gals?

The gas tank on the bike in your profile is a king tank

Get Adobe Flash player

I think I have the king on my 95. I must becaue I've gone 120 miles before hitting reserve right. I'd love to have another gallon in there or more though. Post some pics if you find a tank and a link.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by goofyfoot2001 View Post
    I think I have the king on my 95. I must becaue I've gone 120 miles before hitting reserve right. I'd love to have another gallon in there or more though. Post some pics if you find a tank and a link.

No. Yours is a flat bottom. Although it is one of the later flat bottoms. A king tank will have a rounded bottom edge. And they are wider and longer.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't know what the official names are, but there is a version of the flat-bottomed sporster tank that is just wider, hold like 3.5 or something like that instead of 2.5. I've always called that the king sportster tank too. I never knew what to call the later models, the bigger, rounder versions. Always just called them ugly haha.

Get Adobe Flash player

there's always the 4.5 gallon sportster custom tank. the build in my avatar has one on it

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Saltytonk View Post
    No. Yours is a flat bottom. Although it is one of the later flat bottoms. A king tank will have a rounded bottom edge. And they are wider and longer.
    they mad the king with a flat bottom and later changed to round bottom. They are the same size. I have both. 1997 flat bottom and 2000 round bottom. I also have a flat bottom peanut that holds 2.2 gallons. Find my build thread and it has all 3 in it.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've seen a few bikes with a 2" tank lift, and I think it looks so much better. I may try and get a king tank + make some custom lifts and see how it looks. I will definitely take pics

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't know what some folks are talking about but a "king sportster" tank has always been a flat bottom sporty tank with 3+ gallons capacity. It's a super sized "peanut" style tank.

The rounded ones have always just been called a "late model" sporty tank... aka, the ugly one.
    Last edited by boomboomthump; 01-20-2015 at 9:04 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's a dope as sportster from the Brooklyn show -- I guess i saved these off an article on the main CC page.... This would be the "ugly" tank on C sporsters since maybe 04 or 06? (i think)

Last edited by jackson1102; 01-20-2015 at 9:57 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

That last one looks like the 4 gal C model. Older ones are the 96 and later 3.3 rounded peanut. 95 and earlier 3 gal peanut. (bit wider and taller than the normal peanut) and then back to the 2.2 gal non rubber mounted peanuts. Those are usually cam lock caps and right side petcocks mostly. Lots of aftermarket tanks though out there so too many variations of peanut tanks to manage.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah that's the "C" tank. That's not the one I was referring to (below) which some people were calling a King tank.

"late model" sporty tank... aka.. the ugly one... aka... "round bottom" Sporty tank:

A "king" tank is flat bottomed, just like the classic peanut but it is taller and wider, therefore "king" sized.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by boomboomthump View Post
    Yeah that's the "C" tank. That's not the one I was referring to (below) which some people were calling a King tank.

"late model" sporty tank... aka.. the ugly one... aka... "round bottom" Sporty tank:

A "king" tank is flat bottomed, just like the classic peanut but it is taller and wider, therefore "king" sized.
    Yes except that the MoCo refers to the late model round bottom tank as a "King" .

I think the aftermarket "King" tank that has the flat bottom predates the HD tank. It's a little confusing I suppose.

Just as the "peanut" tank , which in actuality is a Wassel tank. And the biker public coined the term for Sportster tanks , but they aren't really "peanut" tanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm really not trying to argue but when you say "MoCo refers to it as a King tank" are you talking about MoCo idiots or in writing?

And yes, the aftermarket "King" tank wayyyyyy pre-dates HD making the round bottom tank which is why I would like to see where HD refers to it as such in writing. If they actually do then they are truly assholes for doing that.

Also, the Wassell/peanut thing is actually reversed. The Sportster peanut tank has been around since the 1940's and referred to as a "peanut" due to it's small size since then. It pre-dates Wassell being founded in the 50's. Folks started calling Wassell's "peanuts" because they were also tiny and some say they actually look like a peanut shape.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm not trying to argue either.
    Honestly I don't have it in writing. But a few years back I was looking for a sporty tank and I saw it listed as a "king" tank in a HD parts book.

I'm also aware that the sportster tank predates Wassell. But not by many years. I wasn't around to know which one was called a peanut first. I can only rely on what I was taught by a grey beard that's helped me thru the years.

And I suppose some terms could be geographic in nature as well. The internet wasn't around and there was very little printed media available on bikes in the late 40s up to the mid 60s.

Get Adobe Flash player

I could be mistaken. But we can agree that the OP doesn't have a tiny peanut tank on his early 2000s sporty.
    If it is the one in his profile pic. It is a round bottom tank and holds over 3 gals. This is true.

I'm not sure what he has in mind to be honest. But I have a friend with a early 2000s sporty with an aftermarket flat bottom king tank , I will try to get a pic of it. But I must say it is one of the ugliest sporties I've ever seen.
    Huge 2 up pillow top seat , saddle bags, windshield , 1.25" fat bars with stereo speakers mounted on em.

Get Adobe Flash player

Al Gore invented the Internet after seeing War Games.

Get Adobe Flash player

What is the correct term for turtle tank ? Turtle or superglide?

Share This