CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Has anyone gone through the MMI course for HD?

I'm retiring soon from the military and going straight to Orlando FL, to become a "legit" HD tech. Has anyone gone through this course? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it's a year and a half, I'll be taking the old bike repair course as well.
    Last edited by Hach; 01-08-2015 at 2:12 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

spend 25 grand for a 10 an hour job???
    How do you get a MMI graduate off your porch? Pay for the pizza

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jethro57 View Post
    spend 25 grand for a 10 an hour job???
    How do you get a MMI graduate off your porch? Pay for the pizza
    +1

But remember sure OP will get GI bill and pay for about all of it.

Get Adobe Flash player

a better course and value can ve had at Central Carolina Community College
    http://www.cccc.edu/curriculum/majors/motorcycle/
    Last edited by jethro57; 01-08-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks
    Last edited by Hach; 01-08-2015 at 2:19 PM. Reason: Dont like it

Get Adobe Flash player

I used to go to the AMI campus in daytona during the Dyno shootouts, now wyotech. And wasn't impressed. Seems like a lot of young punks trying to figure out what they want to do with life and a hand full of older guys like yourself. I don't think I would have the patience to listen to the stupidity. I taught at a similar school for aviation in Clearwater FL for a while and could not believe what I saw, would say only about 1 or 2 guys in each class actually gave a shit. The others would just be there to be there. If you do go and actually care and do a good job, sure you will be able to get a job lined up through the staff. That's how I was when I was an instructor. The ones that were actually worthy of recommendation got all the help I could offer on getting a job after. The others I just blew off, because i did not think they were worth the effort, because they never really gave much themselves so why should I.

You say that you will make more than 10 , sorry to burst your bubble but thats about right, would say 15 tops. In the aviation world 15 is about starting pay too. Welcome to the real world outside military.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks, but if you had a chance to do it all over again. Another career, "retired" meaning 10 or 15 bucks an hour would only pay for my food. My house payment and toys are all taken care of. Sarting over... Wouldn't you do it in somehting you acutally "love" doing? Money is money. I look at Jerimah from Love Cycles, he is prior AF like me but not retired. He looks like he loves what he is doing and spending a whole shit of time with his fams which I envy. That bro, sells 30 to 40K bikes and he graduated from MMI. Awesome!
    Last edited by Hach; 01-08-2015 at 4:17 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Let me give you my first hand experience on the MMI/UTI issue.

I work in management and am in charge of hiring personnel. We are in the oil industry and business(last 2 months aside) has been great.

I needed to hire 3 mechanics and finding oil field trained guys is rare. So I contacted the local MMI/UTI school and let the person in charge of job placement know we're willing to train and pay well.

I called 3 more times to follow up and he never returned my calls or sent dudes my way.

This happened twice. A year apart.

These schools don't give a fuck about students. They're just a degree/certificate mill.

In my opinion, if they couldn't be bothered to place students when an employer contacted them, they can get fucked.

Get Adobe Flash player

I was a Toyota dealership tech for 20+ years. I know my way around H-D's. It's all self taught and learned from others. No I'm not a pro but I'm certainly capable. I applied to my local H-D dealerships for an apprentice tech position a year or so ago. I was told, and who knows if it's horseshit or not but if I wasn't an MMI or UTI grad that I couldn't work there, even as an apprentice. That the MoCo only hires trade school grads for most all positions within a service dept. Anybody know if that's true or not? At any rate I'm sure as hell not going to drop 25k so I can sit in a classroom again with a bunch on knuckleheads (and not the H-D ones) so 12 weeks later I can be an apprentice. I'd honestly if I were you try to get yourself in as at least a service advisor, or porter or something, then find a backdoor into the shop maybe without having to waste your...err Uncle Sams money.

I graduated from MMI Orlando the office people are a bunch of asswipes , when you start you will do like 7weeks of basic learning they called it theory , it seemed like bullshit classes but its good knowledge, measurements is one of the classes ,they teach you the tools and how to use them , electrical is another class they teach you to use a ohm meter and how to solder wires , service department is a class its learning to write service orders ,and learning the laws of business , wheel and tire class teach you how to use different tire and balance machines ,then the class where you learn to use the gas air machine to tune bikes , rebuild carbs, and then the class where you a running motorcycle pull the motor disassemble and rebuild, once you pass all these classes then you get to start the good classes Harley ,these instructors are really cool there is 4 instructors that are professional Harley drag racers ,the overall of the school I would do it again , I now know how to repair my shovel and evo, I didn't get a job at a dealership but iwas only looking local to my home town, and when a dealership hires a mmi graduate they start at the bottom pay , are you going to try and find a job while you are there , if so don't just depend on the school they are worthless and the school housing was a old hotel you share room with people and it was a frat house

Get Adobe Flash player

Think it through,
    most new HD's be computer intense.
    Scan and read the issue now.
    But if you want to work on old scoots, get all the manuals etc. you can buy and go at it.
    Good luck cowboy.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by CRFyou View Post
    Let me give you my first hand experience on the MMI/UTI issue.

I work in management and am in charge of hiring personnel. We are in the oil industry and business(last 2 months aside) has been great.

I needed to hire 3 mechanics and finding oil field trained guys is rare. So I contacted the local MMI/UTI school and let the person in charge of job placement know we're willing to train and pay well.

I called 3 more times to follow up and he never returned my calls or sent dudes my way.

This happened twice.
    saw right through your bullshit eh ???
    maybe your needs arent as important as mommy and daddy told you they were

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hach View Post
    Thanks, but if you had a chance to do it all over again. Another career, "retired" meaning 10 or 15 bucks an hour would only pay for my food. My house payment and toys are all taken care of. Sarting over... Wouldn't you do it in somehting you acutally "love" doing? Money is money. I look at Jerimah from Love Cycles, he is prior AF like me but not retired. He looks like he loves what he is doing and spending a whole shit of time with his fams which I envy. That bro, sells 30 to 40K bikes and he graduated from MMI. Awesome!
    Jeremiah never went to MMI. He actually talked me out of going and thankfully i listened. Im friends with a lot of kids that went and graduated from MMI within the past 4 years and they dont know shit. That school only cares about your money. Unless you dont know what a spark plug is or how a motor works its a giant waste of time and money.

Buy a motor, a manual and tools and take it apart and put it back together. youll learn way more that way then the school will ever teach you.

This is all coming from a 22 year old kid that moved from virginia to Arizona in August for MMI and then cancelled a week before it started.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by redrocket View Post

Buy a motor, a manual and tools and take it apart and put it back together. youll learn way more that way then the school will ever teach you.

This is all coming from a 22 year old kid that moved from virginia to Arizona in August for MMI and then cancelled a week before it started.
    Umm go to my profile and look at the bikes I've built. Been in the game for some time now. In real life it's good to have some paperwork behind your name, like a cert or a degree, I see if you don't have one you'll alway be a garage builder and all your customers will be "bros" with no money, crackheads and dreamers that will pay you with guns and painting your house for you to install ape hangers. This is not the 60's and 70's anymore and unfortunately people want some creds to back ur work up. Or you'll always be a garage legend that pays your rent and home improvements from the dudes that will do odd jobs instead off paying straight up green... Unless you happen to be Jeremiah.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhahoodVato View Post
    Think it through,
    most new HD's be computer intense.
    Scan and read the issue now.
    But if you want to work on old scoots, get all the manuals etc. you can buy and go at it.
    Good luck cowboy.
    Parent: my son just died on his motorcycle. Are you a certified tech?
    Me: no
    Parent: um, you owe me 2.5 million or your going to do some time.
    Welcome to the century Holmes... Sorry esse, that's just how it rolls now.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hach View Post
    Parent: my son just died on his motorcycle. Are you a certified tech?
    Me: no
    Parent: um, you owe me 2.5 million or your going to do some time.
    Welcome to the century Holmes... Sorry esse, that's just how it rolls now.
    not really but if thats what you want to believe
    What we have here is someone who started a thread ,hoping to hear what he wanted to hear, but he didnt get that
    good luck to you sir, you go get your papers, enjoy

Get Adobe Flash player

There are a few other threads on here that are similar.
    From what I've read everyone has the same opinion.
    If you're looking to work for HD......you hafta do the schooling, but (from what I've heard and read) it sucks to work at a dealership.

Are you looking to start you're own shop?
    If you want to spend that kind of money to have the "paper" to back up you're profession then go for it man.
    Taking a class won't make you dumber.
    Being an "MMI Graduate" Certified Harley Tech won't hurt if you don't mind paying for the schooling time.

Most people seem to have the experience of "I can't believe I spent all that time and money to work a crappy $9.00 an hour job."

It might be different for your circumstances.(GI bill etc)

What do you want to do with your certification?

Get Adobe Flash player

Why not try to get a job in an indie shop? You probably know more right now than MMI is going to teach you, most of it will be a waste of time and money for you IMO. Is there any other way to get an HD cert if that's what you're really after? Your builds are cool as fuck so if you want to start a shop just do it. Just make the customer sign the invoice saying "mods are for off road use only, ride at your own risk" type of language, as long as you don't do shitty ass work that fails it will be hard to prove liability on a motorcycle wreck. And make the company an LLC with you as an employee to protect yourself and your personal assets from liability. Reading the manuals a few nights a week can fill in the stuff you don't know as well. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do tho.
    Last edited by crush1776; 01-09-2015 at 8:15 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks fellas. I still can't believe or get over that a true HD "tech" makes lower than a security guard. I always thought if Hd charged 75 per hour you would expect more. Bummer and really disappointing, I have a niece that buffs cars all day for GM and gets paid 30 an hour with just HS diploma. I just wanted to be around bikes and HD after the military, but yeah I am floored after hearing 25k school for 10bucks an hr with no advancement... Wow I might stick to finding terrorist instead. Or be a manager at Home Depot. Again thank you all for the insights.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jethro57 View Post
    saw right through your bullshit eh ???
    maybe your needs arent as important as mommy and daddy told you they were
    Really dude? That's your take on my post?

I'm a petulant child for trying to hire people?

If you're going to chase me around the board talking shit because I made fun of sportsters, maybe you're the douche.

Share This