Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JuanCarlito
    • Aug 2014

Next bike . . . Input appreciated!!

Whats up everyone. Been a bit since I posted anything on here for sure. Winter here is cold as F and my shop isn't insulated so not much has happened on my build. For those who don't know it and want to check it out the thread is
    Whats up everyone! My name is Juan I am new to . . . well to all of this. New to motorcycles, new to mechanics in general, new to the site and new to the whole motorcycle community and culture that surrounds it. And, in short . . . I LOVE it! I decided I would start a thread on here to document my first ever motorcycle

Hopefully do some more on her in a little bit here. Little things like adding some paint, tuning a bit, fabricate some sort of seat/rear fender set up and maybe a sissy bar. We'll see.
    Anyway, the point of this thread is to get some input on my next bike. I have three in my area that are for sale and have caught my attention. Just hoping to bet some feedback from all you fine people as to which one might be a better fit for me as well as any known issues or things to watch out for with said bikes! Any feedback is appreciated. And remember this will be only my second bike ever so take it easy on me as I am still trying to rub this noob label off my forehead!
    For the sake of determining bike fit I am 5'11" and walk around at about 190lbs

Bike 1 = 1986 Honda Shadow VT 1100 for an asking price of $2500. Listing says 16000 kilometres and "has new seat, new tires and is in good condition". I have seen video of start up, idle, and revving and things seem ok . . . . to me.

Bike 2 = 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 for asking price of $4000 (would have to come down in price for my budget) Listing is vague but says 40000 kilometres and is selling due to lack of space to store.

Bike 3 = 1998 Honda Shadow 750 ACE for asking price of $3000. Add says 59000 kilometres and "comes with saddle bags, windshield,engine guard with highway pegs, has mini ape bars for more comfort and driving lights. All ready for spring riding needs nothing"

Unsure about bike = 1998 Yamaha Virago 750 for asking price of $3200. Listing is vague only saying 47400 kilometres and "in excellent running condition! Must be seen to be appreciated"

Out of budget wishful thinking bike = 1982 Harley Iron head hard tail project with a Paucho frame. Listing says only 2500 kilometres but i assume thats wrong. Bike is about 90% finished and all parts are there. Guy simply ran out of time and money to finish the build. Asking price $6000

Anyway, mostly asking about bike 1,2,and 3. Through in the others just because. Looking to build another bobber style project. Probably more of the ape hanger look for these bikes. Anyway, any feedback is appreciated and if you have examples of well done bikes based on any of these models feel free to post pics. Thanks again and thank you to all who have helped with advice on my 79'CB650 bobber build!
  • jethro57
    • Jul 2013

6000 for a ironhead ????HELL NO you can find a better deal than that, even in Canada
    go for the yammy at a lower price

Comment

• billyolds
      • Nov 2011

the 1100 is a shaft drive and a twin pin crank, not for me.

the vulcan 900 is a great bike to build and pretty easy to do.

the ace 750 is a good bike if you can really build.

Comment

• JuanCarlito
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by jethro57
        6000 for a ironhead ????HELL NO you can find a better deal than that, even in Canada
        go for the yammy at a lower price
        Really? The Virago? Didn't expect that one from anyone. Any examples of cool bobbed Viragos??

Originally posted by billyolds
        the 1100 is a shaft drive and a twin pin crank, not for me.

the vulcan 900 is a great bike to build and pretty easy to do.

the ace 750 is a good bike if you can really build.
        The shaft drive on the 1100 isn't my favourite either, but the lowest price makes it tempting. I was all ready leaning towards the 900 as from what I could tell it had the best lines for the bobber look I like without much modification. As for the 750 I see a lot of really cool looking bobbers out there but what do you mean "if you can really build"? Is it a pretty modification heavy build?

Thanks for the input so far…and don't worry I wouldn't pay 6G for someone else's almost complete Harley build

Comment

• billyolds
          • Nov 2011

I just built a shadow spirt 750, basically the same as the ace. There is no kits, no bolt ons that I liked and not too many people really messing with them. The back bone makes tank swaps difficult to look right and still have decent distance between fill ups. By no means does these facts mean its not buildable, youll just notice that most of the shadow builds are vlx's, the 4speed little brother.

The vulcan has a back bone that allows tank swaps super easy and being a softail, rear end options are also fairly easy.

Ive seen a few viragos, mostly cafe style. Good motors but again a more difficult build depending skills, tools and desired look.

Comment

• JuanCarlito
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by billyolds
            I just built a shadow spirt 750, basically the same as the ace. There is no kits, no bolt ons that I liked and not too many people really messing with them. The back bone makes tank swaps difficult to look right and still have decent distance between fill ups. By no means does these facts mean its not buildable, youll just notice that most of the shadow builds are vlx's, the 4speed little brother.

The vulcan has a back bone that allows tank swaps super easy and being a softail, rear end options are also fairly easy.

Ive seen a few viragos, mostly cafe style. Good motors but again a more difficult build depending skills, tools and desired look.
            Thanks for the input! Im not worried abut things like kits, actually, without kits it challenges me to do more research and learn more about bikes which is why I started building in the first place. Good note about the back bone and tank swaps though. Appreciate it all!

Comment

• billyolds
              • Nov 2011

Same here, no one gets noticed doing the same shit. Theres also a fine line between plausible and dreams in that area. I knocked my first full build out in 9 months while working full time. At times was worried my skills and tools werent up to par. Lots of beers and fuck its, had me done and riding coast to coast on it.
              basically just a stylized stock 750 spirit:

how it looks after 8500 miles of riding since november,

Comment

• JuanCarlito
                • Aug 2014

I like the transformation that has taken place! I think flashy, shiny bikes are great and all, but something about a bike that looks raw just appeals to me! Plus a springer always looks sick lol

Comment

• nickey
                  • Feb 2013

Cool looking Shadow billy. The before shot is one of the few semi-stock Shadow Spirits i've seen that I actually like! But I'm with Juan, something about that raw look is awesome. little bit of rust and mismatched parts. just minimal and dirty!

Juan, i've been looking for a new bike as well (wanting to upgrade to a v-twin from a suzuki savage single cylinder) and the vulcan 800 is what i am 98% set on. there are some really cool builds out there (JuanCarlos' hardtail!) and like stated before, it has the single backbone for easier tank swaps. its also chain drive and already has the lines of a hard tail. It also has a 16" rear, which might not matter to some people but its hard to find "cool" tread patterns in 15. Just throwing my "research" out there haha.

Whatever you get, keep us posted.
                  Happy Riding

Comment

• JuanCarlito
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by nickey
                    Cool looking Shadow billy. The before shot is one of the few semi-stock Shadow Spirits i've seen that I actually like! But I'm with Juan, something about that raw look is awesome. little bit of rust and mismatched parts. just minimal and dirty!

Juan, i've been looking for a new bike as well (wanting to upgrade to a v-twin from a suzuki savage single cylinder) and the vulcan 800 is what i am 98% set on. there are some really cool builds out there (JuanCarlos' hardtail!) and like stated before, it has the single backbone for easier tank swaps. its also chain drive and already has the lines of a hard tail. It also has a 16" rear, which might not matter to some people but its hard to find "cool" tread patterns in 15. Just throwing my "research" out there haha.

Whatever you get, keep us posted.
                    Happy Riding
                    The 900 is a pretty similar bike I believe. Pretty sure the frame is a little lower and as far as I know 900's are fuel injected and belt drive?? Possibly a bit more torque as well. But lets be honest,all those fancy specs mean nothing to me as long as the final product rides well and looks sexy!

Comment

• hhc
                      • Oct 2013

you in hixon bc? try joining the facebook group "old motorcycle buy and sell bc" there a xs650 with a tcbros hardtail on there for 3k and lots of bikes pop up on there with decent prices

Comment

• Wolfie
                        • Apr 2024

Id go the VN900...its bulletproof, and easy to mod....lots of bolt ons out there for em too...better HP/torque per displacement also...but Im biased...I got a kickass 84 VN (far from stock)....heh heh....

Comment

• jethro57
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by hhc
                          you in hixon bc? try joining the facebook group "old motorcycle buy and sell bc" there a xs650 with a tcbros hardtail on there for 3k and lots of bikes pop up on there with decent prices
                          ah yes a xs 650, now there's a winner for sure

Comment

• JuanCarlito
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by hhc
                            Originally posted by jethro57
                            ah yes a xs 650, now there's a winner for sure
                            Well just looked at the page. Lots of bikes and parts so will definitely be keeping an eye out. As for the xs650, if it was a stock bike and I could do the work myself maybe. But I have a CB650 and am looking for a bigger bike. Even if XS is cooler than CB lol. The whole point of these projects is for me to keep learning about bikes and building. So can't justify buying someone else's bobber yet! But thank you for the input and the new source for parts and bikes, appreciate it!

Comment

• JuanCarlito
                              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Wolfie
                              Id go the VN900...its bulletproof, and easy to mod....lots of bolt ons out there for em too...better HP/torque per displacement also...but Im biased...I got a kickass 84 VN (far from stock)....heh heh....
                              So far I do like the VN . . . have a build thread at all Wolfie?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;