2015 GREASY DOZEN BUILDER COLLECTIVE! Parts, free stuff & a showcase for your build!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bear
    • Apr 2012

2015 GREASY DOZEN BUILDER COLLECTIVE! Parts, free stuff & a showcase for your build!

Greasy Dozen Garage Builder Collective 2015

Each year when we launch the Greasy Dozen application process we take a moment to explain what it is to the uninitiated.

The Greasy Dozen Builder Collective is all about getting more folks into “BUILT NOT BOUGHT MOTORCYCLE CULTURE”. Many like-minded companies got behind the idea and the Greasy Dozen Builder Collective was born.

THE GOAL: To inspire armchair Internet lurkers to build a bike and experience the gratification of “built not bought” themselves. It's all about showing that it doesn’t take $100k in tools and a 5000 square foot shop to build a cool Long Bike, Short Chop, or Café Racer.

Many generous sponsors have worked together to offer support with parts, swag, and more. In the last few years we have seen a couple dozen unique and well built cycles come to life from tiny garages and small shops all over the country.

The important thing to remember is that this is not a build-off but a group effort to promote BIULT NOT BOUGHT MOTORCYCLE CULTURE! There are 12 winners that will receive prizes and support for their bike build!

WHO CAN APPLY?
    Any home garage builder or small shop with 2 employees or less.

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Follow @oldbikebarn & @chopcult repost the GD intro image above on Instagram
    2. You must be a CC Forum Member or sign up to be one at www.chopcult.com
    3. You must have an Instagram account or create one for this
    4. The ability and will to build a custom motorcycle between February 15th and September 15th 2015
    5. Desire to attend the next Greasy Dozen Run (but its not obligatory)
    6. During the course of your build post a note of thanks to each of the companies that support this movement via social media.
    7. POST REGULAR UPDATES OF YOUR BUILD PROGRESS @oldbikebarn @chopcult on this thread and Instagram

HOW TO APPLY: to be one of the “Dozen” You need to post a picture of the “raw material” - your current build that is less than 40% done through Instagram by posting #greasydozenentry @oldbikebarn @chopcult as well as on the Chop Cult thread

THE CATEGORIES:
    Long Bike x 4

Short Chop x 4

Café Racer x 4

First time builders are welcome. This is not a tough guy thing; it’s about building/riding motorcycles and having fun. Shit talkers, braggarts, and know it alls are not welcome. In the end there are 12 cool bikes supported by generous companies listed below and the www.chopcult.com community.

Here’s a look at the rad companies supporting with prizes and swag this year. So far we have over $10K in confirmed prizes from these generous folks.
    www.Biltwell.com @biltwell
    www.Burlybrand.com burlybrand
    www.chopcult.com @chopcult
    www.Feltraiger.com @feltraigr
    www.indianlarrymotorcycles.com @indianlarrymotorcycles
    www.KickstartCycle.com @kickstartcycle
    www.kundratickustoms.com/ @kundratickutoms
    www.ledsledscustoms.com @ledsledcustoms
    www.LowbrowCustoms.com @lowbrowcustoms
    www.lowsidesyn.com/ @lowside_magazine
    Sensible accessories for Harley-Davidson® motorcycles

www.digthelid.com/ @oldschoolhelmets
    www.oldbikbarn.com @oldbikebarn
    www.Rockandride.com @rockanride
    www.showclassmag.com/ @show_class_mag
    http://www.speeddealercustoms.com/ @speeddealer
    www.Spitfiremotorcycles.com: @spitfiremotorcycles
    www.tcbros.com @tcbroschoppers
    www.triplesixcrewdeathco.com @triplesixcrewdeathcompany
    www.paisanopub.com/wrench/ @wrenchmagazine

I want to thank The Horse Magazine http://www.ironcross.net/ @thehorsebc for their magazine features and mentions of some of our GD Builders in the last few years, and Cycle Source Magazine http://www.cyclesource.com/ @cyclesource69 for recognizing @chopcult as best media release 2014

Winners will be chosen February 15th 2015 and the the progress of their builds documented here and on Instagram.

Now lets see some applicants!

-Bear
    Contributor
    East Coast Rep Chop Cult
    Last edited by LisaBallard; 11-10-2015, 11:51 AM.
  • spidr
    • Mar 2010

I had a hell of a good time last year. Anyone thinking about signing up, should. This is what we finished up and dragged to Ohio last year..........(even if I was a more than a little dissapointed at a missing o-ring once I got there)

I was building this for Peoples Champ for born free, and didnt make the cut, so the new plan is just to finish it, take it to Born Free and then in the fall for the Greasy Dozen run again.
    So If its all right with you buddy,throw my name on the collective. I said it last year, this is an awesome thing you've got going and thanks for doing it again.

Comment

• FatKat
      • Aug 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	1278165 Click image for larger version

Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	1278166 I'll throw my name in again , my associate build from last year still isn't done , it's a 78 xlch , David bird hardtail, wide glide front , lowbrow stingray fender , and a ribbed mini mustang tank , I think it's a good canidate for short chop , can't thank you enough Bear for the associated builder program last year it's what got this bike as far as it is .
      Last edited by FatKat; 01-01-2015, 9:33 PM.

Comment

• HDFXDBMC
        • Apr 2024

Name:	IMG_0835.jpg
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	1278167Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	1278168Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747.jpg
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	1278169 I too was an associated builder from last year. Thank you Bear and all the sponsors for helping me get the bike to where it is today. I was hoping to finish it and ride out to the run last year, but a major career change and our daughter being born the weekend of the run put a damper on plans! LOL. I will not be re-submitting my build, but I will have the bike done by spring and definitely want to ride out for the run this year. Good luck to all the builders and thanks again Bear!

Comment

• underdogg
          • Apr 2013

Bear and all the sponsor are shit!! I've been patiently waiting for this to roll around! Last year I represented as an Associated Builder with my 79 cb750 (few pics below). This year I plan to rebuild my buddy's 72 Ironhead. The goal is sweedish style chop. I usually build grungy road dog bikes, but this one will be a little more shiny. Hopefully I can make the cut for the Dozen this year, you wont be disappointed and I definitely plan on making The Run this year.

This will be on Instagram follow me @kentopp
          Attached Files
          Last edited by underdogg; 01-04-2015, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• FredoSNR
            • Jun 2010

Im in. Btw, here is says to use #greasydozenbuilderentry but on the flyer it says #greasydozenentry so i did both.

Comment

• stewartwms21
              • Oct 2014

Say hello to The "Jap Trap" 1999 Honda VLX 600 bobber hoping to be one of the 4 short chops! Thanks to ChopCult.com, OldBikeBarn.com and all the generous vendors espeacially my fellow Dayton, Ohioans Pat and the guys @ LedSledCustoms for pitching in some swag.

Name:	greasyvlx.jpg
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	1278203

Comment

• fabwerkz
                • Jan 2015

fabwerkz greasy dozen entry

Few pics of a current build that we are working on , if chosen to build, kyle and will build a turbo charged cb450 for the short chop category,
                Attached Files
                Last edited by fabwerkz; 01-03-2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• jooky98
                  • Jan 2015

hey from Ohio they call me Jooky im currently building a 95 1200 sportster im looking to hardtail this bike and create another bad ass chop frame will be Ed Roth metalflake bad ass blue over black the bike is called blue balls look forward to riding with all of U not sure how to post a pic here but my profile pic is the bike and im on instagram as jooky98

Comment

• Kdiehl52
                    • May 2013

My name is Kenny. From Detroit MI area. For the greasy dozen entry I'm building a 1980 Ironhead long bike. Rigid frame 10 over front end. Been working on building this bike for a while but this is giving me the push to finally get it done. This is my first ground up build. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5751.jpg
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	1278214Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5752.jpg
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	1278215Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5753.jpg
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	1278216Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5754.jpg
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	1278217Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5755.jpg
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	1278218

Comment

• Allan76
                      • Dec 2012

Greasy Dozen Entry

I've been itching to build a swing-arm Shovel for awhile now with the goal of doing something interesting but not so far out as to end up not necessarily long roads worthy. My one true goal is a rider that rolls out of my garage and onto some long road to nowhere fast. It needs to go fast, stop fast and handle well enough to keep you off the asphalt. Problem one; where do I get this elusive beast since most people don't take lint and loose change as proper trade or currency? I opted for the dirty hands and labor style barter system. I build, you keep! Simple. I knew of the bike and it happened to be owned by a friend of mine whom wanted it put together. The deal was struck and onward to the second problem; motivation... Working a full time gig in an attempt to finance my after hours tinkering on two wheeled go fast machines has a tendency to give way to tired eyes and slow hands which is where the Greasy Dozen Builder Collective comes in, motivation. I picked up the pile of parts and scribbled out a sketch as a general guide but I'm sure things will evolve as the build takes on life. Step one, don't get overwhelmed, Step two, make a list, Step three, chops away....

Name:	IMG_20141007_163743241.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	1278229 What I currently have...

Name:	Greasydozen.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	1278230 What I intend... (for the most part)

Thanks,
                      Allan

Comment

• 53Bash
                        • Jan 2013

Nice drawing. If I could draw even half that well, I'd be getting a lot fewer funny looks when explaining my build to people.

Comment

• Miki3slayer
                          • Nov 2013

Long bike entry

Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	1278250Click image for larger version

Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	1278250Click image for larger version

Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	1278251https://fbcdn-photos-d-a.akamaihd.ne...0e614584c446eb

This is my long bike entry for the year. I made a lot of good friends as an associated builder in 2014 and gained even more knowledge!

This build started with a thrashed 98 fatboy turned longbike ridden by an amateur. Long story short it went down, and when I recieved it it needed a new trans case, new engine case, new frame, tank and a whole heap of torch therapy. As of now: the motor is in pieces. I've got the case replaced, I'm keeping the stock 80" bore and stroke but beefing up the comp to 10:1, adding an andrews ev59 camshaft, s&s hi lift kit, adjustable pushrods, single fire ign. I will be running a 4 speed rotary top trans, custom controls, hand shift foot clutch, kick only. The frame I decided on was a stock shovel swingarm 4 speed frame that was hardtailed with pan axle plates, stretched 6 up, 4 out and raked to about. 32°. Going for that de-raked monster truck build with a 12" over super narrow vintage springer. It is needing a rebuild and is missing rockers, so the plan is to make some scimitar style so I can run a 21" spool without too much of the ole "Lindbergh Lean". I plan on fabbing up my own oil tanks, foot controls, bars, sissy bar, and rockers. Other than the frame work which was done by a good friend I will be doing ALL of the fab work myself. You can check out more pics via IG miki3slayer77 . I look forward to being picked (hopefully), but if not, I'll still be hammering down with you dudes on the run this fall!
                          Last edited by Miki3slayer; 01-04-2015, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• Miki3slayer
                            • Nov 2013

Sorry for the pic flubs. I'm terrible at this on my phone lol.

Comment

• Miki3slayer
                              • Nov 2013

More pics of my progress so far. Motor, and most recent mockuo. Seat, fender, and rear wheel are where they're staying. Tank needs mounts welded on and I need to squire materials for foot controls, rear mc mount, bars, rockers, then onto molding! As soon as the motor and trans parts are acquired I will be moving my operation into a heated garage for final fab and assembly work. I'm hoping to be able to put a lot of hours in in the coming weeks as it's the slow season at my job. Hope you guys like it!Click image for larger version

Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	1278252Click image for larger version

Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	1278253Click image for larger version

Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	1278820Click image for larger version