CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 9 of 15 First ... 7891011 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Did a bunch of work this weekend.

Went shopping for parts at my favorite local motorcycle part supplier.

Fitting up the base for my lower front arm.

Lower arm welded up, also filled in the tack welds that hold fork legs to crown.

Lightened my fork crown and rounded some edges to make it look nicer. Plan on engine turning the exposed surfaces, so will be sanding and polishing.

Cut some clearance and rounded edges on the fork bridge, which will also get lightened and engine turned.

Lower arm in position above the wooden mock up, should give plenty of clearance for turning and bump.

Brought my junior fabricator in to do some quality checks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey guys the thread is looking good, things are coming to life for 2015 but as you might imagine it takes some leg work. For those of you that have questions you can email me directly bearhaughton@oldbikebarn.com of text 614 432 9901 with a time to call and I will get back with you.

I'm working on the IG intros for the 12 official builders now.

Anyone can help promote the movement by using the following hashtags on your social media posts
    #builtnotbought #greasydozenbuildercollective #greasydozen #greasydozenrun

Thanks -Bear

Get Adobe Flash player

Got some goodies last night for the project G-unit.

The new motor mounts look the business

Saving up for some AMAL Premier carbs.

Last edited by jdizon; 03-03-2015 at 2:33 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Greasy dozen builder collective update!

Hey builders, Bear here

I just wanted to touch base and let you all know that things are moving along. I have not yet talked to each of you on the phone but I will be available Monday 10am till 10pm by phone and text for those of you that have not yet connected. (I have emailed you my number)

OFFICIAL 12 BUILDERS:
    It takes some time to round everyone up everyones info and introduce each build.
    I finally have addresses, phone numbers, IG users for everyone so things should move fast from here. I still need shirt sizes for a few of you so if you have not yet sent this bit of info please email bearhaughton@oldbikebarn.com with that.

SUBSIDIZED BUILDERS PROGRAM:

The Greasy Dozen Builder Collective has always been about more than just the official 12, its about coming together as a community to promote garage built motorcycles. We are still accepting associate builders until Monday night. If you will complete a bike before the Greasy Dozen Run September 26th 2015 and will try and attend you are eligible. To get in simply set up and account at www.oldbikebarn.com and then email bearhaughton@oldbikebarn.com with your full name and email on the account and you will receive further instructions via email.

THE GREASY DOZEN RUN

This years run will be on September 26th in Peebles Ohio stay tuned for more details on this event with event pages and details coming this week.

If you believe in the cause of promoting Built not bought please use the following hashtags on you social media posts #builtnotbought #greasydozenbuildercollective #greasydozen #greasydozenrun

SPONSORS:
    Now that I have collected all the winners info, each build will be introduced via Instagram @oldbikebarn https://instagram.com/oldbikebarn/ and I will be making further contact with you to take care of these guys. Thanks for your support!

P.S. Please be patient with my responses through the weekend I GOT MARRIED TODAY! My actual wedding will be June 6th but today is the day we visited the court house so I'm taking some time with my lady.
    -Bear

Last edited by Bear; 02-27-2015 at 3:22 PM.

Thanks to a typical seasonal layoff, I have been making lots of progress in my lil shop (and going through lots of beer). Unfortunately, the checks stop rolling in when your outta work, so I have been doing as much stuff as I can on the free! Thank god I filled my argon tank before the layoff!!!
    I finished up the last of the motor mounts which was nice, and also shaved off the remainder of the unneeded frame tabs. I completely boxed the neck, and added a 1/4' round trim to build filler up to. I also frenched the fork stops while I was at it. I added 1/4 round to a couple other key frame areas, and got the rider/passenger footpeg mounts nailed out.
    I also made new axle plates for the springer front end to accommodate the XL250 21" front mini drum wheel. All in all i'm pretty stoked. I mocked it all up to be sure I was happy... so well see what comes of that! Hope you guys dig it! Keep building dudes, if I can do it, you definitely can!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	57382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	320.8 KB 
ID:	57383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	57384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	303.2 KB 
ID:	57385

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoChad View Post
    Thanks to a typical seasonal layoff, I have been making lots of progress in my lil shop (and going through lots of beer). Unfortunately, the checks stop rolling in when your outta work, so I have been doing as much stuff as I can on the free! Thank god I filled my argon tank before the layoff!!!
    I finished up the last of the motor mounts which was nice, and also shaved off the remainder of the unneeded frame tabs. I completely boxed the neck, and added a 1/4' round trim to build filler up to. I also frenched the fork stops while I was at it. I added 1/4 round to a couple other key frame areas, and got the rider/passenger footpeg mounts nailed out.
    I also made new axle plates for the springer front end to accommodate the XL250 21" front mini drum wheel. All in all i'm pretty stoked. I mocked it all up to be sure I was happy... so well see what comes of that! Hope you guys dig it! Keep building dudes, if I can do it, you definitely can!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	57382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	320.8 KB 
ID:	57383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	57384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	303.2 KB 
ID:	57385
    Lookin good man! Amazing how productive we can be in the shop once that pesky thing called work gets outta the way. I'll soon be in the same boat, my gravy train job ends at the end of this month. Lookin forward to more hours in the shop. And being shit broke...

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice, kinda jealous. Slow progress due to low per-week working hours is my #1 challenge. With my schedule, I'm only in the shop one day a week, usually less than 8 hours. Sometimes that one day gets chewed up by other projects, family trips, whatever. This last weekend was less than 4, because I brought my 3 y.o. son with me so he could get exposed to basic opperations in the environment (they are like puppies; get em in there young, they won't be scared and do something dumb when older).
    As a result, after 2+ years work, I've still probably got less than 500 hours work in, which for a noob who sometimes has to rebuild stuff 2 or 3 times to get it right, ain't much when it comes to building a full new suspension. I'm ok with what I've got so far, but its hard working alone one day at a week for months on end... to get one small phase of a project done. Very tempting to cut corners (and I surely am, in every cosmetic sense).
    My son thinks the shop where I'm building my bike is where I go when I'm going to work, and asks if he can ''go to work with daddy and help him make motorcycle parts". Ah, what wonderful lives we live in the eyes of our children.

I tried taking a week off once to get a whole lot done in one go. I put in maybe 30 hours over 3 days and was physically thrashed, spent the rest of the time playing video games and surfing the net. My respect goes out to all those who do such work for a living, or can make solid use of time off (other) work without also needing time off from the project.
    Last edited by 53Bash; 03-02-2015 at 5:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemc View Post
    Lookin good man! Amazing how productive we can be in the shop once that pesky thing called work gets outta the way. I'll soon be in the same boat, my gravy train job ends at the end of this month. Lookin forward to more hours in the shop. And being shit broke...
    That's the killer, the shit broke part. Now imagine if one could be laid off with a bank full of money!!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	57589

Just got a great seat made for my seat pan by Wes at Counter Balance Cycles... Really nice piece I'm very stoked !!! Gotta up my sheet metal game now to make the whole thing look as nice as this pad !!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Got a little stopping power. Rebuilt the rear brakes and finally made a cable for the front mini drum brake. Also found this chain guard I plan to use.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Slow But Steady...

Progress on the build is somewhat slow but still progress never-the-less. That was until I went over the bars on a test ride at work and managed to break my clavicle and fracture my shoulder... Luckily I have some good friends willing to lend a hand and keep the project moving forward.. I managed, prior to the wreck, to clean up the frame and lower the seat a couple of inches which was way more difficult than I had expected. Nothing that a little Oxyacetylene can't fix though. The trick it seems is in keeping four areas hot while also hammering and bending simultaneously. Needless to say I could use a couple extra hands but all's well that ends well.....

Name:	IMG_20150220_213735265.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	295.3 KB 
ID:	57673 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150221_022344148.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	57674 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150221_032023991.jpg 
Size:	301.5 KB 
ID:	57675 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150309_111336546.jpg 
Size:	321.1 KB 
ID:	57676 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150222_135423285_HDR.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	327.2 KB 
ID:	57677

Be Cool Don't Die,
    Allan
    Last edited by Allan76; 03-09-2015 at 1:00 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm currently doing a bunch of little stuff while in the process off getting the bigger items finished. I was able to get the front head off despite the application of some kind of glue placed by the previous owner! I'm rebuilding the top end, polishing/refurbishing OEM parts that I'm going to reuse and getting everything that is too far gone to refurbish, replaced. My plan is to have every single custom element of this bike done in house and by me except for paint on the fuel tank and rear fender. So, far I'm on track. I'll post updates on build elements as I get them finished so I can show start to finish parts. Thanks to Bear, Old Bike Barn, Chop Cult and every single one of the excellent sponsors!

Greasy Dozen inspired seat

Name:	3 tooled.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	292.1 KB 
ID:	57944

Name:	4 sew.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	288.5 KB 
ID:	57945

Name:	20150314_141105.jpg 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	57946

engraved inspection cover with a brushed style look

Name:	4 up close.jpg 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	57947

Name:	5 both together.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	292.5 KB 
ID:	57948

Get Adobe Flash player

I guess i have to do this in two parts because I can only post 5 pics at a time on here... I have also polished the OEM transmission case by hand and I'm working on the engine case. Now that I know it'll look good, I've got to replace a few parts and inspect the insides. I got some new fender struts and powder coated them after a bead blast along with some other pieces that needed some refreshing.

OEM battery box in need of repair

Name:	1 OEM.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	57954

After bead blast

Name:	2 Bead blast.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	57955

Everything all nice and powder coated

Name:	3 Powdered.jpg 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	57956

Trans in the begining

Name:	1 trans start.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	57957

after polish

Name:	5 transmission fiished.jpg 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	57953
    Last edited by JuggernautCycles; 03-17-2015 at 4:11 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Who's ready for some prizes!

Well looks like everyone has passed the vetting process... yes I do slow things down and see who actually posts and who bucks. We have had a few guys jump ship the moment they got free shit in past years and I had to find replacements. I can see we have a fairly solid group this year everyone has been responding on Instagram and this thread is building (I would like to see a few more of you get a little more active on this thread and not just social media, please)

Remember this is as much about our community as it is about inspiring the lurkers to get off their lazy-boys and build!

Today the first prize packages will ship out! Keep up the good work!

I also just did the event page for the GD Run http://www.chopcult.com/event/931/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gdrun.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey guys, here is an update on my build so far.... I decided to take on the challenge of a full motor rebuild on my XS650. I've never dug into an engine this far on ANYTHING ! so this is a big challenge for me.. I got a factory manual and with some help of online threads and some of the good folks here on Chopcult, I think I'm off to a solid start.

Attachment 57989

Here she is in all her crusty glory.... Motor had good compression, and has run, but my goal was to replace all the gaskets, port and polish the heads, remove the base gasket for higher compression, and send it to Hugh's hand build for a Rephase.... I've got some real work ahead of me cleaning and sanding the cases as well this Ol' pig has some serious road grime from years of abuse !

Attachment 57990

Top end opened up... Valves and pistons looked decent. I've got to check all the clearances from the book, but overall no big surprises.

Attachment 57991

And here is where I'm out now. Crank and cam looked great, cam chain was in decent shape. Hugh has my crank and Cam to work his magic, now I'm starting to clean and polish. Depending on how cleaning and sanding goes, I may powder coat the heads and jugs, and give the cases a new paint job. Easy part is done... Now the challenge is to get this all back together and MAKE IT RUN !!!

Cheers !!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Kustom research greasy dozen entry update

Update on my build is not much of an update. I got sent to China for a few weeks for work, so not much progress. I did manage to find a Harley dealer in Shanghai. Everything is expensive in China, which is pretty weird. Bike is completely disassembled now and the frame is in my frame jig. I will be de-raking the neck down to 24 degrees. In order to do this I need to support the frame to make sure everything stays in place after cutting and during welding. I could have done this with some simple welding of braces, but the engineer in me has caused an over engineered fixture build to begin. So I'm chipping away at the fixture, hope to be cutting into the frame this weekend.

Name:	IMG_1428.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	282.4 KB 
ID:	58000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg 
Size:	290.8 KB 
ID:	58001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1626.jpg 
Size:	282.9 KB 
ID:	58002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1627.jpg 
Size:	280.1 KB 
ID:	58003

Default Update from the East Bay

Hey y'all,
    Here's my latest, motor is dropped in! Well dropped is an exaggeration. With CB750's it's always a steel cage level wrasslin match. But the bike never wins. Neither does the paint...
    So it's on the road to a shakedown / motor break in, then another tear down before final powdercoat and paint. Yup, doin it the slow way, but that's the way that makes sense to me. Somehow.
    Awesome to see everyone getting motivated, putting in good work.
    Juggernaut,
    those seats are Yabai- that's the Japanese equivalent of "fucking sick". For real.

Keep up the great work y'all. Can wait to see it all in Sept.

Name:	IMG_1610.jpg 
Size:	292.9 KB 
ID:	58005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg 
Size:	292.5 KB 
ID:	58006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1618.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	58007

Get Adobe Flash player

Ribbed primary for her pleasure

Get Adobe Flash player

just about ready to strip her down for paint & powder.

Share This