2015 GREASY DOZEN BUILDER COLLECTIVE! Parts, free stuff & a showcase for your build!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killmoretrout
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by stevemc
    Couple more pics of where my CB750 is at. Frame is now stripped and primered since I took the roller photo. I laced up some excels to replace the stock rims.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]56394[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56395[/ATTACH]

Not entirely sure what the final shape and color scheme will be, but I'm really diggin on these two. Good elements to consider on both. Not sure if there's been a really great looking offspring of a cafe and a flattracker, but I'd really like to lock these two in a closet for a while and see what comes out...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]56396[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56397[/ATTACH]
    Looking very clean, man.

Comment

• treitz
      • Feb 2015

Would love to enter!

Backstory... Drove about 3 hours to pick up this completely stock XS850 triple that had been sitting outside for about 8 years Decided to challenge myself and go a little crazy with it. Picked up a complete 2006 Ninja 636 front end to use, R6 rear sets, and decided to run a mono-shock (why the hell not?). Enlisted the help of an engineer to put the monoshock together, get the suspension all set up, and off we ran.

The photo is post suspension, prior to disassembly.

Bike is currently in a hundred pieces in my garage. Parts have been painted/collected and the frame is at the powder coater.

Plans/Parts:
      - Fiberglass cafe seat
      - 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 636 complete front end (USD Forks, wheel, brakes, clip-ons, controls)
      - Yamaha R6 Rear sets
      - Kawasaki Ninja monoshock (hand build sub-frame by Luke at barretostudios.com)
      - 3-3 Exhaust (shorty reverse cone mufflers)
      - New tires (Bridgestone Battlax)
      - Fresh powder coat & paint (silver/black/dark red/brown)
      - New gauges and electronics
      - Etc. etc. etc.

Here's the rolling mockup prior to disassembly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10411221_666028810162764_250818603262603764_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1279873
      Last edited by treitz; 02-10-2015, 8:45 AM.

Comment

• Troublehead2
        • Mar 2014

Rollo- I like it! I like the 71-72? In the background too! Lol I've built a few short fleets- 72 my favorite year- shovels and Chevys they just go together. I have a shovelpan, as soon as I can upload pics I will.

Comment

• SHFL239
          • Nov 2011

This is Geo, repping the Fl gulf coast chopper movement and before you is my less than 40% done #greasydozenentry and with the talents of my best friendKevin gonna single loop the front half of this frame with some up and derake. Got the cases from a rednecks backyard and setting it up as a 88" stroker. Motor parts ans knowledge from my buddy Gator custom engraving by tony bagofdonutts This bike is gonna have some tricks up its sleeve. Miami Vice vibe paintjob by the best painter I know @brysonlunger Wanna thank @oldbikebarn @chopcult for pushing the DIY movement. If i don't get selected no worries, I'll catch my FL boys at @tarballrunflorida in Nov. #palmexpress coming at ya.

Comment

• CBobber13
            • May 2012

Hey guys check out the results of my first try at powder coating... I really like the satin black but the color of the orange I'm not happy with at all. The hue is really industrial and I'm looking for something with a tone with some more pop!!! Here is my question, with limited resources I was going to pay to have my frame powder coated, but for much less money I can get some good quality rattle can with a good clear coat. So paint vs powder what do you guys think ???

Comment

• DustyDave
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by CBobber13
              Hey guys check out the results of my first try at powder coating... I really like the satin black but the color of the orange I'm not happy with at all. The hue is really industrial and I'm looking for something with a tone with some more pop!!! Here is my question, with limited resources I was going to pay to have my frame powder coated, but for much less money I can get some good quality rattle can with a good clear coat. So paint vs powder what do you guys think ???
              Check into some of the two stage powders I use www.prismaticpowders.com with great results. Go through a few pages of their gallery, I'll bet you find sumptin you can't live without.
              Dusty
              Driving that train, high on cocaine
              Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
              Trouble ahead, trouble behind
              And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• 53Bash
                • Jan 2013

Hell with it. Thought long about it, have to apply. I could really use the motivation, and some parts (doing a whole exhaust and electrical harness & control set by time I'm done, as well as needing new tires)

I'm a home builder, but I have access to a community workshop with a good array of welding, woodworking, and machining tools. Since starting the project, I've taught myself machining, mostly mill work but also some lathe skills. Our community lathe is kinda puny, but I sometimes get help from a member who has a larger one.

Got the Instagram set up, @sebwiers.

I should have a roller by the time weather gets nice enough to bring it home, after that I can work on it every day in the garage doing all the time chew stuff like a wiring harness, tune up, etc. So yeah, Sept 15 is a reasonable goal, especially with a boost of encouragement and support. I actually really want the bike ride-able for the Bearded Lade Freakshow here in Minneapolis, which is usually in the middle of July. So, hopefully I'd be riding it by then and have 2 months to put on finishing touches.

Suspension design is mocked up and being refined to make sure nothing hits anything else when the wheel goes bump. After those parts are built, it's time to mount the shock, which I plan to have sitting right behind the front wheel on a linkage activated by pull rods. At that point I can actuall y paint it (or set if off for PC, haven't decided). Then I need to fabricate the steering bits (with carbon fiber drag rods), brake mounts (for the r6 blue dots I picked up to run on those massive old rotors), hand controls (inverted brass levers), wiring harness... oh, and put the engine back in, with a new exhaust system and airbox. But really, that's pretty much it! Compared to other stuff I've seen in this thread, its got a long way to go, but I think I can pull it off this year.

Category - Cafe Racer. The bike is a naked 'rat rod' descendant of experimental endurance racers from the 80's, like the one shown below. I love the mechanical nuttiness that characterized that era, and would love to see it spread beyond use by a few engineering minded home builders to realize its full 'freak bike' potential. But if taking vintage racing tech and adapting it onto your old air cooled I4 to build a high performace rat bike isn't building a cafe racer, I can live with that. In which I'd ask to be considered uncatagorized.

Here's what I got to show at this point.

Over-all shape

Detail view

Inspiration

Plus

Last edited by 53Bash; 02-12-2015, 9:03 AM.

Comment

• ROLLO
                  • Jan 2011

Thanks troblehead2 ole green is a lot of fun . Bike are a lot easier to build . Let's see that shovel pan .

Comment

• debosfriend70
                    • May 2011

Hey,
                    Id love to be considered for the Greasy Dozed build! I have 57' Triumph project motor/trans that Ive built a frame and forks around trying to hold the classic stance and general look of the choppers that dudes in the early 60's rolled around on while adding a little bit of my own thing.

Here are the basics of what I have so far, the frame was built by me and my pal Larry, aka Handsome Larry, aka Larry Bathrooms, aka Kitty Cat Kitchens, aka Lars. A short little springer font end that i made. A 16" rear HD rim on a BSA quick change hub and a 21" HD front both on Avons to help with that classic chopper look. and the power plant (if you can call it that) is a 57 Triumph Thunder Bird. There are a bunch of pictures on my IG @debosfriend check it out.

Im trying to as much building, not buying as I possibly can on this thing and would LOVE to be part of this.

Thanks, DavidClick image for larger version

Name:	253.jpg
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	1279903Click image for larger version

Name:	140.jpg
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	1279904

Thanks to all involved for putting this togeather
                    Attached Files

Comment

• ashleywade5
                      • Jun 2011

Saw hlgutherys machine in person last week. Can't wait to see it finished. If it's anything like the bike he just finished this thing will be killer! Good luck on the build either way

Comment

• jdizon
                        • May 2012

My short chop entry. Triumph Bonneville.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by jdizon; 02-10-2015, 1:49 PM.

Comment

• sprue
                          • Jan 2015

Hey guys! Here's my R65 that I've been working on. I bought it a couple years ago and it was in bad shape. Warped discs, stripped threads, bad suspension and just enough rust to give it some character, but not the kind you want if you're gonna drop a good chunk of change on. I had been putting off doing a proper cafe job because it was my daily ride and I couldn't take it off the road to properly strip it down and clean it up, but I did remove the sub frame and build a seat using a cinderblock and hammer to shape the sheet metal.

After hearing about the greasy dozen I started tearing it down and cleaning parts. Either the previous owner or the mechanic who put on a new tire (or a bit of both) over torqued the axle pinch bolt on one fork and it snapped off so I've got a front end from a K75 coming in the mail. After the frame's been stripped and painted and the tank's been cleaned out we'll give it brand new wiring, clean handlebar controls, a kick ass paint job, and maybe a new set of mufflers. We're also going to have to renew the pushrod and transmission seals. Peace o' cake!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2769.JPG
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1279906Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2873.JPG
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1279907Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3065.JPG
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1279908Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1279909Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3083.JPG
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1279910

Comment

• Zavero
                            • Oct 2014

Like all of hlguthery's bikes, no doubt that this one will kick ass. Good luck sir!

Comment

• MotoArt
                              • Jan 2015

My entry for 2015 Greasy Dozen: Short Chop

I'm on Instagram @MotoArtCulture
                              Frame is powder coated Candy Purple with Chrome base. Rear fender, oil bag & gas tank Chrome. Dan Collins seat, handmade frame 1026 seamless tubing. Motor is a Evo with Merch case, S&S flywheels, Wiesco Pistons, S&S oil pump, S&S carb w/thunder jet , edlebrock performer heads , S&S jugs, Jims roller rockers , Jims lifters, Andrews cam...... And because a BlockHead doesn't have much lines..... I had a 1996 set of Exotic knuckle rocker covers I put on to give it a look. Reliable powerful Evo with a clean look, great for any long haul or just burning it from light to light! I ride around 20,000 miles a year on average.
                              Here is some pics of my entry. More on Instagram
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by MotoArt; 02-09-2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• SHFL239
                                • Nov 2011

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/fitbmx1106/media/20150208_213317.jpg.html][/URL]URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/fitbmx1106/media/20150208_212653.jpg.html][/URL]

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/fitbmx1106/media/20150206_210534-1.jpg.html][/URL]

From these pics you can see I started chopping the front section of the frame, got a new left side case since the inner primary o ring lip has lots of goober welds and I want to run a chain with the stock compensator sprocket for the stroker motor and as you can see the condition of the fittings/oil pump studs these cases ready did come from someone's backyard. Totally snapped a oil pump stud in the case haha

There's a pic of my shovel rigid on the top that I just wrapped up this past Nov, hoping to out do it with this greasy dozen entry
                                Last edited by SHFL239; 02-09-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;