CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 10 of 15 First ... 89101112 ... Last

Hey 33'rs! Well, things still are creeping along around the Daly household. Still 2 more weeks of layoff before I go back to work, so progress has been well lets just say slow Despite hard times, my good friends and Local Spokane, WA bike club The Blacktop Terrors have chipped in to lend a helping hand. Tommy at Standard and Rockwell sent a crapload of body supplies my way to keep me rolling! He will also be laying down the wild PPG sponsored paint job that I have in mind.
    <BR>

I have finished up all the metal work on the frame, and have now begun the tedious task of moulding this girl into a curvy 70's sex kitten. Moulding is so far out of my skillset, as I normally powdercoat everything! I've become a sort of metal perfectionist over the years. If you can feel a bump, powdercoat will show it, and I just don't do things that way. Needless to say, my obsessiveness has continued onto the filler side, and its been a lot of fill, sand repeat. Im hoping to have all the moulding wrapped up this weekend so I can get it over to Tom for paint.
    <BR>

I recently came across a great, and semi local upholstery goddess! Ive seen her work at the One Moto show, and she came very highly recommended. I am very excited to announce that Ginger at NewChurch Moto will be handling the daunting task of recovering this King and Queen seat. I'm letting her run wild on it, with my only stipulation being Black and Leather. I am stripping the old BAR enterprises seat down, and shaping the pan up to match the sissybar a little better.. lets just say less bulk... I cant wait to see what she comes up with!
    <BR>

Last but not least, I need to give a huge thank you to Bear and all the sponsors involved!! My inbox was flooded with surprises the other day, and I cant wait to use them on my build! I am very honored to be a part of this!! Thanks again Cult, and I will update again soon. If you actually like the crap I do, gimme a follow on the ol' Instagram, Idaho_chad I post there quite frequently. Until next time, Cheers!!

<BR>

<BR>

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	58216well, I am not one of the dozen, but I have promised to share my adventures.
    as stated I am a two stroke fanatic. I love 'em. its nostalgic to me to waken to the smell of premix, morning dew, and earth. I grew up to that on many of sundays.
    I decided to take one of the Yamaha twins a different route. pretty much ALOT of polishing. I am going to try and use a lot of period aluminum pieces from the 70s. something about that era of motocross and enduros that I adore. so here are some pics.
    Thanks Bear for the kick in the butt to get this vision built. and congrats on the marriage!

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	58215

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	58217

frame is currently still at the powder coaters. went with "black chrome"
    Last edited by ChiJersVintageBikeWorks; 03-26-2015 at 8:19 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm not part of the 12 but I did try to get in, that is, until the bike started taking its own path once I got into the build and I got most of it done before March anyways and any sponsorship would have been wasted on this project since it's mostly homemade and re-purposed parts anyways, I had to really force myself to pay for the brand new biltwell grips, ha. I know it's not a much revered shiny paint hard-tail polished flake or whatever, it's dirty and low and cheap and I absolutely love it, and in the spirit of built not bought here are some pics of the final product. I have a build thread in the jap chop section.

Last edited by DavoCycle; 03-30-2015 at 2:52 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Got my lower control arm 90% fabbed now. Bearing blocks are done, arm itself will get a bit more welding and a bunch of speed holes (via 1-3/8" step drill). Arm is adjustable length, can be 8.5", 9.25", or 10". Longer arm = longer wheelbase and softer / more travel. Basically track vs highway mode.

Here's a rear image of test fitting the arm. The fit is TIGHT; there's about 1/16" inch on either side between the bearing blocks and the steel bars, and obviously the back end of the arm barely fits into the frame. That's by design, but it still surprises me.

Get Adobe Flash player

Disassembled my bike last night. Put aside parts I plan to polish, paint, powder or chrome!

Get Adobe Flash player

Needs a little smoothening but for the most part seat foam is shaped. Ready for upholster

Hey y'all. Been a minute since I've checked in with progress. Shop got full of other people's projects, and Hank got shuffled to last in line. Haven't even had the time to take advantage of the tremendously generous hookup from the sponsors and go shopping. Shiiiiit. Did manage to get a little more work done on my oil tank- pulled the guts out of the stock one and grafted them all into a box that'll follow the lines of the bike a lot better. Bondo and paint up next. Keep it rollin y'all. Some great work being done. Will be stoked to see it all in September.

Name:	oiltank1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	58664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oiltank2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	300.6 KB 
ID:	58666

Get Adobe Flash player

Frame off for paint, Front end/tank/ are at the chrome platers. Also sent my seat for upholstering.

Get Adobe Flash player

Super Rad design my friend made for my bike! Stoked on this! Going to print out and make a poster for the garage

Last edited by jdizon; 04-13-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Resolved my ball joint clearance issue. Front wheel has sufficient travel (9 inches) to allow some right height adjust in final assembly. Need to bang out new control arms that have proper connection angles at the front to get that travel in the range (relative to frame) that I actually want, and to allow full lock-to-lock turn (fork crown hits the bolts that hold the ball joint taper insert).

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Last Years contender just finished...

Get Adobe Flash player

Frame back from PC

Tank back from chromers and ready for paint.

That tank! So sick man. Can't wait to see it all in one piece. I'm trying to get mine to full mockup / shakedown in the coming week. Been too busy workin on other people's bikes to get anything goin on mine. Jdizon, you're in south bay, no? Who'd you use for the chrome?

Get Adobe Flash player

Cut clearance on the arm to allow nice wide lock-to-lock steering (at least 80 degrees). Shape cam out really odd, but pretty cool (no pic w/o receiver in, sorry).

Drilled holes to mount the ball joint receiver, pics of straight ahead and full lock with full bump.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks man! Since Superior Chrome stopped chroming, I ended up going with Valley Plating. Fred is old school and has been doing it for a while and I'm glad I went with him.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemc View Post
    That tank! So sick man. Can't wait to see it all in one piece. I'm trying to get mine to full mockup / shakedown in the coming week. Been too busy workin on other people's bikes to get anything goin on mine. Jdizon, you're in south bay, no? Who'd you use for the chrome?

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey Guys, I've been updating my build on instagram under Yard_bike_mike But I wanted to keep this thread alive, show everyone on Chop Cult how much I appreciate this rad event ! All of the sponsors have been super generous with the mech that they've send my way. Again just wanted to thank Bear and everyone involved for the opportunity to showcase my build for this rad event !

So here it goes, I've never done a motor rebuild so I wanted to challenge myself and do a full rebuild with some small improvements to this ol girl.

Name:	motor3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	287.7 KB 
ID:	59527

Got it all tore down and ready for a 5th gear from Mikes and a fresh crank from Hugh !

Name:	motor 1.jpg 
Size:	278.2 KB 
ID:	59528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	59529

Valve springs were a bit of a trick... Here was my DIY tool to pop the springs out. Did some port and polish to the heads to get those gasses flowing a bit faster,

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	59530

Greasy dozen was a great way to describe all the parts and pieces, This thing had some serious road grime being built up since 76 ! Using my home made sauce to try to scrub it all down then a fresh coat of high temp engine enamel to finish it up

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	59531

Get Adobe Flash player

Heres all the parts and pieces painted and polished...And some fresh rubbers to keep it all sanitary, Much better !

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	59532

Heres where I currently stand... Just waiting on the last of my gaskets to wrap it up... Really pumped on the outcome so far, learning and ton and doing in the spirit of the greasy dozen DIY !!!!

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	59533

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Kustom Research Cafe Racer Update

Well it's not much of an update, progress is still slow. I finished my jig and have got the neck cut off. It's ready to go back together with a new neck angle of 24 degrees as opposed to the stock 30 degrees. Why still such slow progress you may ask? I decided to finish off my shovel head build. Riding season is here, and with nothing to ride this build took priority. It's done now, so not taking into account the job distractions, I am clear to focus on the greasy dozen build. This shovelhead build does fit right in to the concept of building not buying, so I'm posting a few pics of it here. Everything was done in my home garage, leather, fab, machining paint and powdercoat, nothing was farmed out. I can now ride and build, which I usually can never do...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [URL=http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/cinatas6/media/Kustom%20Research%20065_zps9bohikkn.jpg.html][IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by KustomResearch View Post
    Well it's not much of an update, progress is still slow. I finished my jig and have got the neck cut off. It's ready to go back together with a new neck angle of 24 degrees as opposed to the stock 30 degrees. Why still such slow progress you may ask? I decided to finish off my shovel head build. Riding season is here, and with nothing to ride this build took priority. It's done now, so not taking into account the job distractions, I am clear to focus on the greasy dozen build. This shovelhead build does fit right in to the concept of building not buying, so I'm posting a few pics of it here. Everything was done in my home garage, leather, fab, machining paint and powdercoat, nothing was farmed out. I can now ride and build, which I usually can never do...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [URL=http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/cinatas6/media/Kustom%20Research%20065_zps9bohikkn.jpg.html][IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

That Shovel came out great. My preference runs toward rigid long bikes, but I dig it! Bet it's a blast to ride

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Harley Short Chop....

So after two months plagued with one thing after another from an unexpected death in the family to broken shoulders and stolen tools I finally managed to make some progress on the short chopchop as well as the unofficial chase van... Carpet and button tuck vinyl, the TickleDungeon is getting there and the bike you ask? Well hot damn it is coming together swimmingly. Frame is chopped and fitted with an early style round swingarm and now to fit the tank in tight over the motor and cut the oil bag to fit over, god forbid, a starter... Wait Wait, It is gonna have a kicker too, don't you fret.... Throw in a Crazy Frank style rear fender and, my GreasyDozen friends, we are cook'n with fire.... The bike, which I have temporarily but lovingly named "Applesauce Bacon Face", needs different bars and a shorter front end but the idea is solid! I think tonight I just might pretend it's Christmas and use a few of those promo codes from the sponsors whom I honestly can't thank enough.....

Be Cool Don't Die,
    Allan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150502_183920638_HDR.jpg   IMG_20150503_193201890.jpg   IMG_20150503_192305008.jpg   IMG_20150503_185107093.jpg   IMG_20150503_185657950_HDR.jpg  

Last edited by Allan76; 05-04-2015 at 2:41 PM.

Share This