Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goofyfoot2001
    • Apr 2014

Cops harassing people

Recently, the Chula Vista, California Police Department ran a forum with the local community with the topic being, "Community Policing." One of the civilian participants posed the following question: "I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"

From the "other side" Sgt. Bennett, obviously a cop with a sense of humor replied:

"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In Chula Vista, we average one cop for every 600 people.

Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol") where we do most of our harassing. The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents.

At any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty. So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 5,000 residents. When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.

Now, your average ten-hour shift runs 36,000 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring.

What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.

The tools available to us are as follows:

PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. "My neighbor is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment.

Another popular one: "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses and the like. It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.

STATUTES: When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc...They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.

After you read the statute, you can just drive around for awhile until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them.

Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy. It's a really cool system that we've set up, and it works pretty well. We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people.

Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can't harass me." It's one of our favorites.

Hopefully sir, this has clarified to you a little bit better how we harass the good citizens of Chula Vista."
  • JoeInPA
    • Apr 2024

Outstanding!

Comment

• vanderkalin
      • Sep 2014

I got harassed a lot by cops when I was a youngster. Doesn't happen much anymore.

Comment

• Magnificentbastard
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by vanderkalin
        I got harassed a lot by cops when I was a youngster. Doesn't happen much anymore.
        Same here, a lot, but you know what? I never fought them, always did what they told me todo. This is the problem I have with the whole internet and real life frenzy of cops. Every fucking footage I see of cops that get heavy handed started the same way... the person resisting, not complying with the cop when he/she told the person that they get arrested, these dumb people don't get it, once a cop tells you that you get arrested thats it! There's no way out of it, there is no cop on this planet that is changing his/her mind half way through the arrest and puts their cuffs away, once these shiny wrist cuffs come out thats it you get arrested, if you resist you either get hurt or die, if you manage to get away you get hunted down. Resisting when a cop wants to arrest you is dumber than a second coat of paint.
        Every time I got arrested and the cops treated me in a way I didn't like it I never made a big fuss, so you slapped me or pushed me so my head hit the car door frame, no problem officer but once I was in the station, first thing I did was make a report to the officer in charge - I did that a few times and they caught on and never treated me bad again and I got arrested a lot of times during my youth.

Comment

• Jetblack
          • Apr 2024

Oh shi...tzu puppies!... I came in here for coffee, and didn't realize it was also a doughnut shop.

Comment

• JMFNC
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Jetblack
            Oh shi...tzu puppies!... I came in here for coffee, and didn't realize it was also a doughnut shop.
            Freedom is slavery.

Comment

• Jetblack
              • Apr 2024

Originally posted by JMFNC
              Freedom is slavery.
              I love philosophy please elaborate kind sir, as your three words only incite me to form my own opinions about it.

Comment

• JMFNC
                • May 2011

My error, didn't mean to quote you. My comment is directed at the apologists.

Comment

• goofyfoot2001
                  • Apr 2014

Sorry to hear that?

Comment

• JMFNC
                    • May 2011

Ok....it's easy to blame dead people for resisting arrest. Especially when the security camera footage is immediately grabbed by deputies and the five seconds that turn a shooting from self defense into murder is lost in a glitch. It's harder to blame a paraplegic confined to a wheelchair holding a kitchen knife and saying he wants to kill himself. And then you have to wonder why a deputy driving 90 down a 40 mph road without his cherry top lit gets away with running over a guy and a girl pushing a pitbike to a gas station just because they might have had a couple beers.

My opinion is that justifying police brutality because detainees weren't readily compliant is the buffaloed mindset of an enslaved people.

Comment

• Grantman
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Magnificentbastard
                      these dumb people don't get it, once a cop tells you that you get arrested thats it! There's no way out of it, there is no cop on this planet that is changing his/her mind half way through the arrest and puts their cuffs away, once these shiny wrist cuffs come out thats it you get arrested, if you resist you either get hurt or die, if you manage to get away you get hunted down. Resisting when a cop wants to arrest you is dumber than a second coat of paint.
                      Actually, I have had a cop take me out of the back seat, remove the cuffs and let me go. Once. Maybe that's the exception that proves the rule. I do know that if you tell them they aren't bad enough to whip your ass by themselves they WILL get 4 or 5 other officers to help them prove your point. I think they left the cuffs on for emphasis. That is why Captain Morgan and I are no longer friends.

Comment

• Jetblack
                        • Apr 2024

Hell ask the department to provide us with some statistical data of when they have used deadly force, since they are keen on spouting random numbers. Nothin like a witty retort and with it lingo with a just doing our job response; to lull people back into a nothin to see here go back to sleep situation. It's just a long winded brush off, made by people that don't work for us anymore... to put it in proper perspective, so the just trust us flowery shit isn't going to work... sorry.

Comment

• goofyfoot2001
                          • Apr 2014

I don't think anyone is saying that the police aren't accountable. Of course they are. The current discourse, if I may use big words, is non-sequitar because in none of these cases were the police acting egregiously. Gardner maybe, but he was fat and diabetic and out of shape and resisting arrest. The supervising BLACK WOMAN didn't think there was anything wrong with the way the situation was being handled.

However, I will say that the kid in Chicago that had the pellet gun pointing at people in the park, the cops did not handle that properly at all. If you think someone has a loaded weapon, you going to drive right up next to them, come on. Yeah, they should go to jail.

Comment

• Magnificentbastard
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JMFNC
                            Ok....it's easy to blame dead people for resisting arrest. Especially when the security camera footage is immediately grabbed by deputies and the five seconds that turn a shooting from self defense into murder is lost in a glitch. It's harder to blame a paraplegic confined to a wheelchair holding a kitchen knife and saying he wants to kill himself. And then you have to wonder why a deputy driving 90 down a 40 mph road without his cherry top lit gets away with running over a guy and a girl pushing a pitbike to a gas station just because they might have had a couple beers.

My opinion is that justifying police brutality because detainees weren't readily compliant is the buffaloed mindset of an enslaved people.
                            Bullshit, it's the difference between going home a few hours later or ending up the same evening on the slab. Smart people know how to use the system to their advantage stupid people make a big fuss when being arrested, swing at the officers, get out of the car, move to fast the list is endless.

If Billy Bob country hick deputy tells me to get out of the fucking car to bit the dirt and make it look like an airplane that's exactly what I am going todo.

From all the times I got arrested I never was hurt and I am pretty sure they were looking for an excuse to fuck me up a bit. German police are not to be fucked with.

I am 100% certain that the wide majority of people killed during arrest by police brutality originated by the civilian not complying with the cops that includes arguing why they are being detained.

Don't give them any reason, don't resist, 100% comply and file a complaint once you are at the booking is super effective in most cases.

Comment

• Magnificentbastard
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Grantman
                              Actually, I have had a cop take me out of the back seat, remove the cuffs and let me go. Once. Maybe that's the exception that proves the rule. I do know that if you tell them they aren't bad enough to whip your ass by themselves they WILL get 4 or 5 other officers to help them prove your point. I think they left the cuffs on for emphasis. That is why Captain Morgan and I are no longer friends.
                              That's different since you were detained, the cop rendered you save.
                              I think a lot of people don't get the main objective of a cop, it always is defusing a situation for their own safety and others around them.

And I agree fighting with cops only leads to them asking for backup which leads to more bodies pilling on you and you getting hurt, fuck that noise.
                              I rather be booked, spend a night in a cell with some smelly hobos and get out next morning smiling.
                              Last edited by Magnificentbastard; 12-23-2014, 2:05 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;