Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ktraf
    • Oct 2013

'80 shovelhead project.

Hey guys, nothing crazy on this build just figured i'd throw it on here instead of instagram or whatever.

I got a good deal on this paughco wishbone so i figured why not.

motor's a 1980 shovelhead, dual plugged, bored over a little bit, round 82" i believe. I took it apart to check it over. everything was in good shape, no crazy end play on the big end, rockers needed a shim and a polish

and i threw it all back together with loctite 515 and James metal gaskets with the silicone beads. Ive never used em before so lets see how they hold up.

Trans is a ratchet top that i have no idea what it came out of. I'll be doing the main seal and swapping the throw out arm for the longer mousetrap style so i can run jockey shift but i'll save you the pics.
  • Ktraf
    • Oct 2013

I caught this trick from chopcult actually, with the zip tying the tires. Made things so much easier, as tire tubes and my pry bars rarely get along too well. Took about a half hour to mount two tires (avon speedmaster 3.00x21 and avon Safety Mileage 4.00x 19" rear)

I bent this sissy up from a 6 foot piece of 1/2" cold rolled i had kicking around. I heated the fuck outta it and made a half assed jig n bent her to how i liked it. Turned out half decent. I made some bungs for the bottoms that accommodate a 3/8" hex head bolt. The fender is from lowbrow, 4 3/4" smooth guy. Made a couple tabs that go to the sides of the fender which will have threaded bungs welded to it. Nothin too fancy. Trying to decide between one or two 3/8" bolts to hold the fender to the frame too. Currently i have one but i plan to have a passenger or a few cases of beer on the back from time to time so i might add another. Tank is from TC bros. Narrowed sporty tank or whatever.
    Last edited by Ktraf; 01-25-2015, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Ktraf
      • Oct 2013

[URL=http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/ktraf/media/Mobile%20Uploads/E0F85A86-5BF9-4C8A-9247-F38F5D842E10_zpsl1qxbuee.jpg.html][/URL

I picked up this lil guy for an awesome deal on chopper swapper. 2" under super narrow from wargasser. Shaved lowers and no logo on the bottom tree. Freshly rebuilt, just needs to be cleaned up a little. Stoked on it. To get my 21" mini drum to fit I swapped the 5/8" bearings for 3/4" and machined the spacer for the drum portion. I used a lathe and a 3/4" drill but i bet if you didn't have a lathe you could hand drill that thing if you were careful.

A 5 3/4" headlight i had laying around, some stainless risers from biltwell that had to be trimmed down to clear the fork bolts, and some hand made bars from a friend of mine. I cant decide if i should take a bit out of the middle of the bars or leave em as is (thoughts?) and yes i know the wheel isnt straight or centered in this pic, it had no internals or spacers at the time. For a brake stop i'm just gonna make a tab that will bolt to the drum with rubber on one side that will loop around the fork leg. will it be strong? no. Will it be strong enough for a mini drum? probably. We'll find out.
      Last edited by Ktraf; 12-19-2014, 5:35 PM.

Comment

• Ktraf
        • Oct 2013

And here's how she sits right now. Horseshoe oil tank, 1.5" open primary, i've cut out the bearing support from the inner primary on the trans to run so i don't blow another main seal. I made a really basic foot control, but i don't know if I should use em or not..

The very beginnings of a seat...

brass shift knob i made on the lathe at work and am way too proud of. This thing could double as a mirror haha.

and that's it for now! My welder broke (plastic cheap junk) so i'm trying to scrape up some cash to get something a little better. Probably won't be until the new years. So for now i just get to go stare at her for hours on end, drink beers and wait. Which i can live with.
        Last edited by Ktraf; 12-19-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• goofyfoot2001
          • Apr 2014

Cool, can't wait to see that throne

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
            • Jul 2013

Sweet!

Comment

• BnC
              • Oct 2011

This is looking really sweet Kurt

Comment

• Ktraf
                • Oct 2013

Thanks Jeff. Excited to see what you're up to on your ride this winter.

Comment

• bayko
                  • Aug 2014

Looking good, I vote for cutting out some of the middle of the bars.

Comment

• nuklhd
                    • Sep 2013

looking good. shift knob looks good too. i swear most small objects i want to make into a shift knob. i got a bunch on my shelf.lol

Comment

• Loffer
                      • Nov 2010

That's looking really good. You nailed it!

Comment

• Ktraf
                        • Oct 2013

thanks guys! Nuklhd I think shift knobs will be my new pastime when works slow they're pretty fun haha

Comment

• irish11b
                          • Aug 2014

So good man, I like how the sissy bar came out; Classic.

Comment

• Ktraf
                            • Oct 2013

Thanks guys. Alright. Not a whole lot of progress the past few weeks but i managed to find a little mig for cheap on kijiji finally so i got my rear fender mounted permanently, it fits tiiiight, mount my oil tank(just two threaded rods bent into candy cane type shapes), some brackets for a battery to sit on, shaped and welded up my seat pan, made a nice little slider for the rear axle adjuster.. Trying to get ahold of some paughco upsweeps but they're on back order for a month or so. I'm also worried the high pipe on them will constantly burn me and every t shirt i own.. So i might order the lower style upsweeps instead. We'll see.

The fender has one bung against the seat cross tube on the frame that holds a 3/8" bolt. Two 3/8" bungs welded on to the fender (poorly, havent figured out the new machine yet) and tabs off the sissy bar hold up the rear.

Anyway, these pics are boring but i figured i'd throw em up in case someone out there was having issues figuring out how to mount an oil tank etc with minimal skill/ effort. I had spacers that raised the front of the tank up a bit too. I'll probably put some rubber bumpers between the rear of the oil tank and the frame just in case the oil tank wants to vibrate. Oh and if you were wondering, It's the cycle standard oil tank off lowbrow. It came with paint pre- chippy so if you're a guy who is really meticulous I wouldn't go with this tank. Personally i wasn't too stoked, but i'll run it.

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/kt...g.html?filters[user]=142181013&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Comment

• Ktraf
                              • Oct 2013

Alright well i'm stuck waiting for my rear brake assembly, pipes, and a bunch of misc other parts to arrive so once again not a whole lot of progress. I made another shifter knob out of sheer boredom at work.

And i made a regulator mount that will hang the regulator off of the ready rod that holds my oil tank up.

I spent way too much time on that mount but i'm really pleased with the outcome. (disregard that horn I might not run it.. it sounds like a goose dying so i kind of want to run it but its kinda big so we'll see.)

and this weekend as I wait impatiently for my parts (paughco ran outta exhaust pipe or something) I decided to start painting my tins. This is just base coat but it turned out very nice. I have some champagne flake that i may or may not do a simple design with to break up the solid black but we'll see.. I also have some old tank badges but i might save those for something else.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;