Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GiantMcGoo
    • Mar 2014

Removed the front end. Next task is to remove the tubes individually, they seem to be seized in the bottom bracket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	1279855

Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	1279856

Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	1279857

Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	1279858

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
      • Mar 2014

Also I dug up some photos of the bike the day my dad bought it.

Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1279859

Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1279860

For some reason in 1968 purple was all the rage I guess... Lol.

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
        • Mar 2014

Just curious does anyone have a proper dimensional drawing for a bolt on hard tail? I have looked online and the closest thing I can find is this. Click image for larger version

Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1279861

Comment

• scottyj1
          • Apr 2013

how many miles,if it is close to 25-30k get ready to split the cases and change the sludge tube in the crank,if you do not,you will starve the engine for oil if it is full of crap,also if it has sludge in it and you use the wrong oil(todays oil with high detergents)you can break up the sluge and plug the oil passages and blow the motor

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
            • Mar 2014

Hey Scotty,

Thanks for the heads up, I have a friend who works as a mechanic who I am looking to swap trades with to have the engine/transition rebuilt. You're right the speedo reads 29,988.

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by GiantMcGoo
              Just curious does anyone have a proper dimensional drawing for a bolt on hard tail? I have looked online and the closest thing I can find is this. [ATTACH=CONFIG]56383[/ATTACH]
              Seriously nobody?

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
                • Mar 2014

Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	1281375

been a while since I've had and time to work on my bike, here's a couple more shots of the tear down.

Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	1281376

Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	1281377

Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	1281377Click image for larger version

Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1281378

Comment

• cisco
                  • Aug 2012

Lot's a thoughts on your excellent project. I had a 72' Trident with that 'Easter-egg purple' paint and thought it was soooo cool back in 73'.
                  1. From the pics ole dad maybe was into the chopper scene a bit since the bike pics shows it had the front fender off and aftermarket cocktail shaker mufflers. Looks like also maybe higher than stock handlebars. Bless his heart! Maybe talk to him about that and ask what was the coolest bike he had admired back in the day. Maybe he'll surprise you and free up some changes in direction from pure stock......
                  2. How tall are you? That affects the 'drop' and 'stretch' of a hardtail frame bolt on which you can order from several sources. So getting dimensions depends on such things. Fork tubes can also be lengthened/shortened. Forks by Frank or something is where lots get theirs from.
                  3. The books your darling wife got are great. You might also consider joining the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group (CVMG) section near where you live. Those old frugal buggars have swap meets and horde stuff to you help find stuff and to get good advice from like who best to get stuff done from.
                  4. I remember the 'fast hair' poster you have on the wall from the 70's!! Dig it! Looks like you have a great place to work out of. Looks like most of a newer Corvette there too covered in dust. Your cute boy is gonna be happy some day if all goes well!!

As you know/are finding out old British bikes need special tools like Whitworth wrenches and such. I'm no expert but from getting my 1965 BSA forks redone I was told fork setups are varied in design so no telling how to get yours apart. Need to get familiar with a local British bike mechanic who can do the hard stuff and/or advise on the easier stuff. I'm an old fuck and am constantly learning stuff especially from this site. Just learned how to replace tires/tubes using zip ties of all things in the "How To" section here !!!
                  Me, I'd go electronic ignition but not with Boyer Branson acc to what I've read since I'd want battery backup.
                  Show some pics of the tins. Does the gas tank need resealing? The monoblock carbs you have are cool! I have an old one that has a clear glass side plate and I'm planning to get it done to stick onto by BSA rat some day. Remember that YOU have to be happy with what you create. Dad already had his shot and your son will in the future. But unless you build it for your own tastes and thrill you'll be missing out.
                  Last edited by cisco; 04-07-2015, 8:17 AM.

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
                    • Mar 2014

Originally posted by cisco
                    Lot's a thoughts on your excellent project. I had a 72' Trident with that 'Easter-egg purple' paint and thought it was soooo cool back in 73'.
                    1. From the pics ole dad maybe was into the chopper scene a bit since the bike pics shows it had the front fender off and aftermarket cocktail shaker mufflers. Looks like also maybe higher than stock handlebars. Bless his heart! Maybe talk to him about that and ask what was the coolest bike he had admired back in the day. Maybe he'll surprise you and free up some changes in direction from pure stock......
                    2. How tall are you? That affects the 'drop' and 'stretch' of a hardtail frame bolt on which you can order from several sources. So getting dimensions depends on such things. Fork tubes can also be lengthened/shortened. Forks by Frank or something is where lots get theirs from.
                    3. The books your darling wife got are great. You might also consider joining the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group (CVMG) section near where you live. Those old frugal buggars have swap meets and horde stuff to you help find stuff and to get good advice from like who best to get stuff done from.
                    4. I remember the 'fast hair' poster you have on the wall from the 70's!! Dig it! Looks like you have a great place to work out of. Looks like most of a newer Corvette there too covered in dust. Your cute boy is gonna be happy some day if all goes well!!

As you know/are finding out old British bikes need special tools like Whitworth wrenches and such. I'm no expert but from getting my 1965 BSA forks redone I was told fork setups are varied in design so no telling how to get yours apart. Need to get familiar with a local British bike mechanic who can do the hard stuff and/or advise on the easier stuff. I'm an old fuck and am constantly learning stuff especially from this site. Just learned how to replace tires/tubes using zip ties of all things in the "How To" section here !!!
                    Me, I'd go electronic ignition but not with Boyer Branson acc to what I've read since I'd want battery backup.
                    Show some pics of the tins. Does the gas tank need resealing? The monoblock carbs you have are cool! I have an old one that has a clear glass side plate and I'm planning to get it done to stick onto by BSA rat some day. Remember that YOU have to be happy with what you create. Dad already had his shot and your son will in the future. But unless you build it for your own tastes and thrill you'll be missing out.
                    Hey Cisco, thanks for your thoughts. I talk with my dad about it all the time and he just thinks it should be build back to stock. But also just loves the fact that I am working on it and wants me to build what I want. He has been building and playing with motorcycle since his late teens early twenties.

As for your questions, lol, I'm 6'7" and 250lbs so I'll look like a gorilla humping football but I don't give a rats ass. The work space I have is the garage at my in laws place. The corvette is not mine but it's a beast when it is on the road, but I'm trying to convince the old far to put it back on the road where it should be. I will look into the CVMG, I think my buddies dad is involved with it somehow, going to a vintage bike show and swap at the end of the month that they put on. I'll keep it kick start too but I'm young enough to still win that battle. As for tools I am using a set of imperial sockets and wrenches from crappy tire and they seem to working just fine, but then again none of the nuts or bolts have been too tight or seased. I know I should get a set of British imperial but I had no money when I got the bike and just couldn't leave it alone. Gonna try and get an old set at the show also. And I got the front end apart with a little penetrating oil and some good old brute force. Now that the tubes are out I think I need a special tool to loosen the lower sections of the fork legs from the tubes in order to replace the seals...

Then there's finding the time to work on it!

Comment

• cisco
                      • Aug 2012

6'7" holy crap! I thought I was tall at 6'4"!!! Glad you got the tube assembly apart. My 65 BSA rat has a 10" over front end and has 19" stock wheels along with a 4" swing arm extension which allowed me to put the solo seat back further and up higher so I don't resemble the dog/football scene. I only bought this particular bike/basket case since it had the 4' swing arm extension which allowed me to more easily fit the bike to me.
                      Without the 4" extension my butt would be over the back axle. Great for doing wheelies but not for much else. These projects take time and a gradual flow of money but deals can be had if you keep your eyes peeled. Your dad seems happy to have you working on it and soon riding it so I wouldn't be too set on keeping it stock. This opinion based on your enormous/gigantic/huge/long size (nothing personal... hope I'm not being too insensitive...) LOL!

IMHO for me to feel comfortable riding it if I were 6'7" I'd want it longer to get the seat back, and higher off the ground. To me the British bikes that got chopped here originally was partly due to how big we buggars are.

Oh, I never heard of a Triumph that vintage being converted to electric start. I got my Whitworth sockets from the internet and wrenches from swap meets. Saved a ton and hope you also have some luck there.
                      Last edited by cisco; 04-14-2015, 8:47 AM.

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
                        • Mar 2014

Yeah your build sounds pretty rad, I would love to see some pictures of it.

What would you recommend as far as hard tails go? I like the long and low look but won't compromise looks for comfort.

Comment

• cisco
                          • Aug 2012

Name:	homedecormiltonswapoct514 032.jpg
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	1281722

Think it'll expand now when you click the previous button or something...

From the sounds of it $ is a real issue with your build. With your size you really need an expert frame builder like two I read about.... www.thefactorymetalworks.com or maybe Lowbrow Customs. But you need to be fitted so it has proper drop/stretch. Like I said I bought my basket case since the guy who was a machinist had lengthened the swingarm 4" and then welded on the two downtubes replacing alla seat/shock assembly to create the hardtail. To me this is the cheapest way. So long as the swingarm bushings are healthy/replaced so there isn't any wobble in there a good bike welder/fabricator should be able to accomplish it. If you look closely the tool roll is beneath the seat which along with the 'skirt' on the solo seat helps hide the huge air space that results when you move a seat sooo far up and back.

Back of the tank is raised via padded tube that replaces the rubber pad and in front I cut a coupla valve guides up to serve as spacers to also raise the tank front so still clears the handlebars. This all done to line up with the seat to keep things from looking goofy. I kept mid controls since being able to stand and jump beats getting 'T' boned at an intersection or having to totally absorb a big pothole. My bike is long and high. But acc to comments it looks long and low. The 10" extended fork tubes also help bigtime with me looking like I fit. I'm real comfy riding it btw. Oh, I also got a set of those really old springs that were on 50's British bikes that now have lifted the back of the saddle up a 1/2" (with me sitting aboard) off the rear fender. Now with that and with dropping the psi down a bit on the tires to about 26lbs (Max pressure means you'll feel every crack in the pavement) so now I don't wear a kidney belt except on long rides. Getting older ....haha!!

Can you blow the pics up or I'll try something else so you can get a better looksee. But like I say I'm no mechanic.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by cisco; 04-19-2015, 8:04 AM.

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
                            • Mar 2014

Started working on the bike again over the last couple nights. Removed the wiring harness and the carburetor so now it's just a front loop and a motor/trany.

Comment

• cisco
                              • Aug 2012

atta boy!!

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
                                • Mar 2014

Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	1287770 Click image for larger version

Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	1287771

Just a quick one I removed the coils one looks good and one looks like it may have gotten wet while it was in storage. Also I stopped by the local British bike shop in town to get some help and tips from the old cat Charlie, he has been building British bike for over 40 years. Super nice guy and a wealth of knowledge, I can't wait to go back down there just to hang and listen to him tell stories of the old days and pick his brain some more.
                                Last edited by GiantMcGoo; 12-16-2015, 10:14 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;