Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vnygra
    • Aug 2010

Juice drum help please

Needing to find a brake to bend and finish the rear section of my frame. Im going to be using a juice drum mounted on an invader, and trying to keep the rear section as slim as possible while still fitting the drum in there.(hopefully running the frame rails straight to the axel plates with no "offset" to clear the drum.

I know theres 3 different makes of juice drums: 58-62, 63-66, and 67-72.

I know the difference from 58-62 and 63-72 is the width of the drum and shoes , giving it better stopping power/ braking area, but whats the difference from 63-66 to 67-72? Is it just the bearing thats in the later drums? I read online the 63-66 is the one you want for custom bikes, buy why, if its just the bearing, id think you would want that.
  • SyndicateChoppers
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vnygra
    Needing to find a brake to bend and finish the rear section of my frame. Im going to be using a juice drum mounted on an invader, and trying to keep the rear section as slim as possible while still fitting the drum in there.(hopefully running the frame rails straight to the axel plates with no "offset" to clear the drum.

I know theres 3 different makes of juice drums: 58-62, 63-66, and 67-72.

I know the difference from 58-62 and 63-72 is the width of the drum and shoes , giving it better stopping power/ braking area, but whats the difference from 63-66 to 67-72? Is it just the bearing thats in the later drums? I read online the 63-66 is the one you want for custom bikes, buy why, if its just the bearing, id think you would want that.
    the only difference between 67-72 and 63-66 is that you can not use a 67-72 setup on a star hub wheel, the mounting pattern on the drum is different and that drum has a bearing in the drum.

the '58-'62 style works just fine I run them a lot on my bikes that I build.
    One thing to watch in regards to your rear frame rails and making them straight into the axle plates is your chain clearance. the tubes are bowed outwards to allow proper chain clearance.
    it is something that you will have to account for so I would not recommend bending tubing up until you have an engine and trans with primary bolted in and lined up and than go ahead and mount your rear wheel and brake setup to where it is centered in the frame and has the chain sitting straight inline with the trans sprocket.
    than form your tubing around that to account for the chain clearance

Comment

• vnygra
      • Aug 2010

Thanks man, so, i have an old shitty drum, that does not have the bearing in it, I believe it is the 63-66, and it DOES fit the invader flange that i have and am using. So i would not be able to run the 67-72 with the bearing because the pattern is different correct?

Heres the one i have. It fits the wheel
      Last edited by vnygra; 12-15-2014, 1:17 PM.

Comment

• Blackbetty
        • Apr 2011

You sure that's not a mechanical drum ^?

I just did a ton of research on this, here's what I have put together:

58-62
        1 7/8" deep
        backing plate with a small lip
        smaller 1" bore wheel cylinder
        narrower 1-5/16" brake shoes
        bolts to star hub
        The early drums were stamped steel, the later were cast
        early brake shoes were bonded
        uses axle sleeve OEM 41600-58

63-66
        2 1/8" deep
        Backing plate has an edge that rolls over the lip of the brake drum
        larger 1/1/8" bore wheel cylinder
        wider 1-13/16" shoes
        bolts to star hub
        riveted brake shoes
        uses axle sleeve OEM 41600-63

67-72
        drum carries roller bearing (OE 8503RS or Timken P203KLL2)
        2 1/8" deep
        wider 1-13/16" shoes
        bolts to midstar hub
        riveted brake shoes
        uses axle sleeve OEM 41600-67

The early backing plate must be used with the early drum and star hub. The later backing plate can be used with either of the later hub/drum sets.

I'm personally building around a midstar 67-72 so I can have a rear hub w roller bearings.
        I think people have talked ab the benefit of building a chopper around the 58-62 drum since it was narrower, but I also read on JJ that all three assemblies are the same width when assembled.
        Last edited by Blackbetty; 12-15-2014, 3:19 PM.

Comment

• vnygra
          • Aug 2010

I'm not sure what that drum is, just that it fits my wheel. But I do have a borrowed 67-72 backing plate that will not fit all the way inside it. So it's safe to say it's mechanical or the narrower juice drum correct? So will the 63-66 drum fit the same wheel?

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Blackbetty
            You sure that's not a mechanical drum ^?

I just did a ton of research on this, here's what I have put together:

58-62
            1 7/8" deep
            backing plate with a small lip
            smaller 1" bore wheel cylinder
            narrower 1-5/16" brake shoes
            bolts to star hub
            The early drums were stamped steel, the later were cast
            early brake shoes were bonded
            uses axle sleeve OEM 41600-58

63-66
            2 1/8" deep
            wider 1-13/16" shoes
            bolts to star hub
            riveted brake shoes
            uses axle sleeve OEM 41600-63

67-72
            drum carries roller bearing (OE 8503RS or Timken P203KLL2)
            2 1/8" deep
            wider 1-13/16" shoes
            bolts to midstar hub
            riveted brake shoes
            uses axle sleeve OEM 41600-67

The early backing plate must be used with the early drum and star hub. The later backing plate can be used with either of the later hub/drum sets.

I'm personally building around a midstar 67-72 so I can have a rear hub w roller bearings.
            I think people have talked ab the benefit of building a chopper around the 58-62 drum since it was narrower, but I also read on JJ that all three assemblies are the same width when assembled.
            Mechanical drum has 2 square lugs cast into the backside of it, that pic does not show that

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
              • Sep 2011

I'm not sure what that drum is, just that it fits my wheel. But I do have a borrowed 67-72 backing plate that will not fit all the way inside it. So it's safe to say it's mechanical or the narrower juice drum correct? So will the 63-66 drum fit the same wheel?
              correct a '67-'72 will not fit on that invader if its not a midstar style invader.
              If its a '63-'66 year drum you can use any backing plate from '63-'72 and they are the same.

If you get the palmers restoration book it has a pretty good chapter on the differences and pics of the different drum brake styles etc.

Comment

• vnygra
                • Aug 2010

Thank you syndicate. I'll try to check that out.

Comment

• Eldergiraffe
                  • Oct 2015

I need help identifying this brake drum. I thought it was the oem # 41400-67 drum that holds the sealed bearings in the drum (which it does) but I thought the drum measured 2 1/8" inside the drum (which it does not). Also the part # inside the drum reads 41409-67. This drum fits my repop midstar wheel but when I assemble it with the brake shoes and tighten the axle it locks up the wheel, I think because the drum is not deep enough for the brake shoes. When I remove the shoes and reassemble and tighten axle it spins freely. I have all the correct components from the backing plate to spacers to axle and axle spacers. This drum stumps me. Any help here would be much appreciated. Also this brake drum is for sale, if interested email me [email protected]

Last edited by Eldergiraffe; 11-12-2016, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Blackbetty
                    • Apr 2011

Found this thread useful:

The H-D parts books list the -67 sprocket as unique for those later drums. I believe it is a full thickness sprocket without the machined recess as used on earlier versions. All the rivet and dowel pin holes are large as well.
                    Robbie
                    Depth you measured at 1-7/8 says it's a 58-62. Unless you are using a different backing plate spacer than the 67-72 mid star piece HD 41600-67

I bought a drum with part number 41409-58A - it was a 63-66 star hub drum at 2-1/8" deep.

Last edited by Blackbetty; 11-14-2016, 1:31 PM.

Comment

• vnygra
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Eldergiraffe

Isn't that a mechanical drum? I believe only the mechanicals had those little tabs on the back

Comment

• Eldergiraffe
                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Blackbetty
                        Found this thread useful:

Depth you measured at 1-7/8 says it's a 58-62. Unless you are using a different backing plate spacer than the 67-72 mid star piece HD 41600-67

I bought a drum with part number 41409-58A - it was a 63-66 star hub drum at 2-1/8" deep.

Isn't that a mechanical drum? I believe only the mechanicals had those little tabs on the back
                        That's what I was thinking, and being that the inside is 1 7/8" makes me think this is a mechanical drum made to fit the midstar wheel??? I just ordered a repop 67-72 drum.
                        Last edited by Eldergiraffe; 11-15-2016, 7:09 PM.

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
                          • Apr 2018

Great info here, thanks all for sharing.

I have a axle that I removed from a midstar hub. I’m wondering if anyone knows if a starhub takes the same axle?

I read sundicatechopper’s comment above that a 67-72 backing plate can fit to a 63-66 starhub. I have 72 backing plate and plan to get the earlier drum. First I wanted to see what the difference is in mounting the drum to the hub. I know the midstar takes two bearings and a bearing spacer. Is this the same for the 63-66 drum to starhub or does the drum mount straight to the hub with nothing in between?

Comment

• AndyNZ
                            • Apr 2014

Isn't that a mechanical drum? I believe only the mechanical s had those little tabs on the back
                            Interesting....i have a '63-'72 setup (bike is a 71), has the mid-star hub with bearings and has a drum with the two rectangle tabs on the back. Will measure the depth once i get home to confirm this for you all

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;