Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magnificentbastard
    • Sep 2014

Solution for anybody who has a Vstar 650 and wants a frisko sporty tank

I am seriously considering changing my tank to a sporty tank, problem is of course the double backbone, this Japanese page delivers sporty tanks that fit perfectly on the double backbone.

they also have plastic tanks

World's largest online store of Motorcycle parts. Huge stock of custom parts, gears and OEM parts with various shipping and payment. Experience over 2mil. items and true Japaense quality & service.

Product Description: GOODS SPORTSTER Tank Kit [G2-00039] : Fits:YAMAHA Dragster 400 Classic : YAMAHA Dragster 400:Width:... - Webike
  • JBDad85
    • Oct 2013

Site says they're for the 400, not the 650...you think the frame measurements are the same at the backbone?

Comment

• Magnificentbastard
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JBDad85
      Site says they're for the 400, not the 650...you think the frame measurements are the same at the backbone?
      Exactly the same as far as I have been told, Jap custom market is huge for Jap bikes of course, I have a few other pages but they are in japanese and google transle doesn't do a good enough job, I keep looking.

BTW: The plastic tanks are supposed to be seriously durable and cut down quite a bit on the overall weight of the bike.

Comment

• Demin
        • Aug 2011

The bikes in the pic do not have the dual carbs sticking up through the frame either.

Comment

• Magnificentbastard
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Demin
          The bikes in the pic do not have the dual carbs sticking up through the frame either.
          I send them a support request I post their answer here

Comment

• Magnificentbastard
            • Sep 2014

So they came back and said the supplier said no the tank is not suitable for a Vstar 650l, I am going to get more clarification and see if they can recommend another supplier.

Comment

• DaNgER556
              • May 2014

Exactly my thought. I have a carb right in the middle with an air cleaner sticking straight up.

I wish I could run a sporty tank

Comment

• JBDad85
                • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Magnificentbastard
                So they came back and said the supplier said no the tank is not suitable for a Vstar 650l, I am going to get more clarification and see if they can recommend another supplier.
                If you can determine with certainty that the backbones are the same and the only thing keeping it from working on the 650 is the dual carbs, then that can be remedied by converting to single carb. I've found a single carb manifold online for $135 that will accept a Harley CV carb.

Comment

• Magnificentbastard
                  • Sep 2014

So company just got back to me, no it doesn't fit, also they don't know of any frisko tank for Vstar conversion kit or what not.

God I am so sick of this lol

Can somebody explain to me the problem here? Why are the carbs a problem? Does that mean the tank will not fit on the backbone since the dual carbs stick out?

Lets assume I would mount a metal plate on top of the double backbone and on top of that I bolt on a Frisko or peanut tank?

Would that work?

Comment

• JBDad85
                    • Oct 2013

If you take the factory tank off, you see that the air box sticks up in between the double backbones. Even if you get rid of the air box and go with POD filters, they have to mount on top of the carbs and will stick up over the backbones as well. I have seen a few people mount a peanut tank on top with the POD filters and are able to fit the PODs into the small tunnel of the peanut tank with a little finesse...the guy at Tail End Customs did the best job of this that I've seen, most of the time when people do this it just looks too thrown together but he pulled it off well. You can find pics of his builds on the internet with a search, I think the one I'm talking about he called "The Brown Recluse".

Comment

• Magnificentbastard
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JBDad85
                      If you take the factory tank off, you see that the air box sticks up in between the double backbones. Even if you get rid of the air box and go with POD filters, they have to mount on top of the carbs and will stick up over the backbones as well. I have seen a few people mount a peanut tank on top with the POD filters and are able to fit the PODs into the small tunnel of the peanut tank with a little finesse...the guy at Tail End Customs did the best job of this that I've seen, most of the time when people do this it just looks too thrown together but he pulled it off well. You can find pics of his builds on the internet with a search, I think the one I'm talking about he called "The Brown Recluse".
                      Yes I saw his bike, needless to say I don#t have the technical expertise to pull this one off, ah well, back to the drawing table thanks for your reply tho

Comment

• Daedalus
                        • Jan 2013

when I built a Vstar with sporty tank I found that even with pods, you still need to cut and weld in a new section in the bottom of the tank. you also have the problem of the petcock mount and angle, and have to make new tabs to mount it. quite a bit of work.

Comment

• Akamm47
                          • Nov 2012

Just Do this

Going to switch carbs here shortly too

Also, the rear coil sticks above the backbone fyi

Comment

• arcldvr
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by DaNgER556
                            Exactly my thought. I have a carb right in the middle with an air cleaner sticking straight up.

I wish I could run a sporty tank
                            I ended up welding some 1.5 in stock on the frame to make a riser to sit above the filter and carb. Then I fabbed up brackets for the tank attachment. I placed the front bracket far enough forward so the filter can be moved or worked on. The rear bracket doesn't imped anything either, so that the bike can be worked on as if it were stock. I also put a Click image for larger version

Name:	skirt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	1277762Click image for larger version

Name:	skirt2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	1277763skirt around the bottom of the tank so that it doesn't look like it is floating above the frame.

Comment

• Magnificentbastard
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Akamm47
                              Just Do this

Going to switch carbs here shortly too

Also, the rear coil sticks above the backbone fyi
                              Hi,

Not sure what I am looking at here? did you change it to single backbone?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;