Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McLaughlin77
    • Aug 2014

1977 Ironhead XLCH Build

So I am finally going to start an official thread for my ironhead rebuild this winter. I will be juggling school, and the occasional work so it may be off an on. After winning the Voodoo Vintage custom hardtail here on chopcult, I figured I would show the build to help support them as well as Chopcult. She's my first Harley and this is my first full rebuild so I also need this thread to ask you fuckers questions and what not. A little background on the bike:
    Bought the 77' Kickstart xlch in January of 2014 and immediately had to do some work to get her running. I bought it with a aftermarket bolt on hardtail and some other bits. Basically since buying her I have had to replace the advance timing unit because the original was literally locked in place. After installing a new one and working on the timing, I moved on to rebuild the kehein carb about 27 times until I could literally build it with my eyes closed. Other run in's throughout the following summer i had to do some small work like wiring (Brake Light switches) and a new battery. Then at some point I ran into some engine troubles. After a cruising about ten or more miles at a decent speed (relatively hot days) the motor would slowly lose power and then shut down. It would roll start right back up but soon die again. I began to believe it had something to do with my clutch not working right in high gears once the oil warmed up. I was also having troubles all summer trying to dial in the clutch handle correctly. I would sometimes get it but it would always knock itself out of whack.
    Anyways, before I could get into that, the front piston rings blew and I began my build early. Decided to not fuck around and do this thing right so here we go. I have been going at it now since August sometime so I will do my best to catch yall up to speed with me. Here's some pics of the original buy, and her now.
    When I Bought Her
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1934.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	1336750

Name:	IMG_1997.jpg
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	1336751

After some work

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	1336752

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	1336753

Name:	IMG_1581.JPG
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	1336754

Oh and for you instagrammers follow me and the build @ connorocksocks
    I will also try to keep the same thread going on the XL Forums Sportster sight because those guys have unlimited sportster knowledge. I will post a link to that one here soon.
    Last edited by McLaughlin77; 11-30-2014, 9:33 PM.
  • McLaughlin77
    • Aug 2014

So to start I about blew her up trying to run her one last time for a compression test. Shitty low results, like 20 or 30 i think it was up front and a still low 90 in the rear. I decided she wasn't going anywhere, so I cleaned a spot in the garage and began unbolting shit to see what I could find.
    This is my brother and I conquering the engine removal.

Name:	IMG_1512.jpg
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	1277582

Here she is sittin purty on the bench

Name:	IMG_1510.jpg
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	1277583

So once I had the motor out I began to strip the frame. Got the wiring harness off, the plan is to make a new one from scratch with my buddy the electrician. Any comments on making your own wiring harness? I suck at it but he claims it won't be to hard. Please share your experiences on the matter! The front forks were a bitch to get out, really bound into the upper triple tree. Ended up screwing the caps halfway on, putting a socket on top of the caps and smacking it with a hammer. A rubber mallet just wasn't doing it.Once those where finally out I finished removing the tires and what not.

Then I dove into the top end to reveal what I knew was coming. The front cylinder had the worst damage, I knew this even before the compression test because I was getting a white/blue smoke out of the front exhaust. The front cylinder and piston were scored to hell. Luckily it was at stock bore and had room for some honing. Bored .030 over with new pistons and rings.
    Here is one of the pistons. Knarly am I right?

Name:	IMG_1519.jpg
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	1277584

I am waiting on some money to have the valve job done. I want to tackle checking the rocker arms myself but it may be better off having my indy check them with the valves.
    Now the PO told me the tranny was recently rebuilt. Of course there was no receipt proof so I denied that. Though she seemed to shift smoothly and as far as I can tell she looks clean as far as I can see. No up and down play in my rods as far as I can tell. I recently disassembled my oil pump to check for metal but found none. Any advice on where else I can check for metal or worn transmission without tearing the thing apart? I will probably just have my indy look it over to be safe but I hate spending more money I don't have.
    Anyways, while I wait for money I decided to hop into my clutch. Fashioned a homemade clutch compressor from wood, two 1/4-20 threaded rods, two 1/4 nuts and washers, a carriage bolt and the rounded acorn nut from my foot peg mount for the actual compressing point.

Name:	image(11).jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1277586

So upon revealing the clutch hub, a found a nasty wrangled hub nut and lock washer. I tried taking a picture, it doesn't do justice though. I will be out working on it Tuesday night so I will post some pics then of the nut, washer, plates, and other parts to see what you guys think.
    Otherwise, to close up, here is a very rough mock-up I did for motivation. Mind you, the Voodoo Vintage Hardtail I won will soon be welded on.

Name:	IMG_1619.jpg
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	1277587

Comment

• xllance
      • Apr 2024

Good deal ! I had a 77 CH as well back in the 90s. Turned out to be a solid runner. Good luck.

Comment

• McLaughlin77
        • Aug 2014

Thanks xllance, try to keep up with the thread, the more 77 ironhead owners the better! haha

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
          • Jul 2013

I will be watchin.gotta 74 myself in pieces.

Comment

• rickybongos
            • May 2013

Nice! Looking forward to this build.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

That piston looks bad, bad, bad..!!!

Might be a good idea to flush the entire oil system (Oil tank, lines, motor case)
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Ramzilla
                • Oct 2013

Looking forward to this you lucky bastard. I'm building a 75/76 myself. Listen to Dragstews. He knows his shit.

Comment

• McLaughlin77
                  • Aug 2014

Haha thanks guys. Dragstews i planned on flushing them. Any recommendations on flushing the motor case? Something I can do in my garage or is it something I should have my indy do?

Comment

• TwoLaneFever
                    • Apr 2024

Name:	84231.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1277596if you eliminate the electric starter/selanoid, starter button,this should work .stock v regulator,and generator.and only changes I made, was to add fuses for lights /and one for genny/reg,this works fine on my bike .
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2014, 5:47 PM.

Comment

• McLaughlin77
                      • Aug 2014

Sweet diagram TwoLaneForever haha. Its a kickstart only so I shouldn't have to worry about ditching electric start. I will definitely refer to this when we begin wiring.

Comment

• TwoLaneFever
                        • Apr 2024

yeah ment" eliminate it out of diagram",,cool bike, ,77 has the good oil pump,, had one years ago, it would go from Charleston to Yorktown,, all it would do is roll on ,and vibrate shit off it self
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2014, 8:08 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

Kerosene works well...

I have a huge parts washer that I use... It has a hose on it that shoots a stream a half mile up the road, if I turned the pump to full on...

Name:	000_1473.jpg
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	1277603

Could do it at home by running Kero though it two or three times while spinning the crank ...
                          Be hard to do the cam chest, where the factory put the drain back hole to the flywheel cavity, makes it a bit difficult but would be better to try than not to try...

Would be alot of work to do a full tear down, just to clean up the cases..!!
                          Last edited by Dragstews; 12-02-2014, 11:48 AM.
                          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• McLaughlin77
                            • Aug 2014

Yea I am in the oil pump right now. I'm actually stuck because I don't have one of them fancy internal retaining ring pliers to get the last retainer clip off the rotor shaft. Another $15 dollar tool to add to the list. After figuring that out, my buddy came over with the 1 1/2 socket I needed to get the clutch hub off. That sucker was probably impacted on by the last guy. Any good ideas for hub holders? I tried a couple different wood wedge options but they all gave.
                            As you can see the nut was pretty wrangled when I first opened it up. Also looks like he didn't bother with the lock tabs and just left them up.

Name:	photo(2).jpg
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	1277614

Ive heard about the kerosene flush before, think I will go that route if I decide against taking it in.

Comment

• FooDog
                              • Feb 2014

I'd bet that nut looks gnarly cause a PO didnt have the right socket....probably used a hammer and chisel to get it off. Most guys replace the nut after that.

Excited to see your build....I love iron heads.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;