Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeadSeaGulls
    • Jun 2014

Started painting helmets and tins again

Some of you saw the first helmet I had ever painted earlier this summer here: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...t=deadseagulls (NSFW, there is a dick).

well after getting some other shit sorted I've been painting a bit again and thought I'd share my progress as I get more familiar with the medium.

here is my first helmet along with one I did for a girl who has a sporty.

More of the bird helmet.

Then I started on another helmet. This one isn't done yet, but here's some progress on it.

Didn't sand off the daytona logo on this one as I dig the helmet brand and figured I'd see how it looked. Not sure how I feel about it.

Bonneville Cutthroat Trout (little shoutout to Utah)

A Brooke Trout on the other side.

Also painting this frisco sporty tank for the owner of the bird helmet, doesn't have clear coat yet, but I got some good ideas for artwork on it, so i'll update this thread as the painting on all of this stuff progresses.

After I wrap up these projects I have someone sending me a helmet from NYC to paint. They want a full mural on it. It's a Biltwell Gringo. Should be fun.

Bonus picture of getting drunk with my dogs by my stove.
    Last edited by DeadSeaGulls; 11-25-2014, 8:49 AM.
  • Magnificentbastard
    • Sep 2014

really really cool, would love to see more pictures of the first picture skeleton type, what kind of colors are you using?

Comment

• DeadSeaGulls
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Magnificentbastard
      really really cool, would love to see more pictures of the first picture skeleton type, what kind of colors are you using?
      The dude in the elk carcass can be seen in my first thread here http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...t=deadseagulls

I have progress shots in that thread and close ups of the art.

House of Kolor for the airbrush stuff, the fades and pearls and whatnot. and 1shot sign enamels for the hand brush work.

Comment

• paulw
        • Jun 2012

love the way you paint!

Comment

• DeadSeaGulls
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by paulw
          love the way you paint!
          Thanks man. the stippling style on the trout heads was new to me, but I like how they turned out.

here's what I did last night on the back of the trout helmet, all ready for clear coat now
          Says "Fishing for fuck's sake."

Comment

• JoeInPA
            • Apr 2024

You have some awesome skills. The chickadee, though not my style is absolutely stunning!

Comment

• DeadSeaGulls
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by JoeInPA
              You have some awesome skills. The chickadee, though not my style is absolutely stunning!
              Thanks man! the first sketch I drew for her was a redwinged black bird in a much more dynamic pose, but she said it looked too aggressive and wanted a 'more cute' bird. So I went with that little guy... and filled his ribcage with roses.

Comment

• Ember
                • May 2010

Nice! Are you using HOK?

Comment

• DeadSeaGulls
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Ember
                  Nice! Are you using HOK?
                  HOK for the airbrush stuff, and oneshot for the enamels. I have some other enamels that I use in the winter as the handle better in the cold than oneshot, but I forget the brand.

Comment

• Ember
                    • May 2010

What clear you spraying over the oneshot? Or did you use HOK for the stuff you cleared?

Comment

• DeadSeaGulls
                      • Jun 2014

I'm using Kustom Shop 2k urethane clear. Seemed better than the one time I tried the HOK stuff, and at the time of bulk purchasing was quite a bit cheaper. It's ready to polish in about 6-8 hours and fully hardened in 24. Keep in mind, i'm in utah and i don't have to reduce anything as 2.1 VOC is legal here, so I can't comment on other types or reductions of clear within the HOK or kustom shop line.

Comment

• DeadSeaGulls
                        • Jun 2014

So far I haven't had to add any hardeners to the enamels, as I'm using acrylic lacquer thinner for thinning and that makes the paint pretty hot and dries hard, quick.
                        I'm pretty new at all this, but no issues yet with existing helmets.

Comment

• ThrownOlive
                          • Aug 2013

I dig the bird, it all looks great but I think that is the sharpest one. You did a great job on the lettering for all of it though.

Comment

• DeadSeaGulls
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ThrownOlive
                            I dig the bird, it all looks great but I think that is the sharpest one. You did a great job on the lettering for all of it though.
                            Thanks fellah, I'm doing a little bit more on the trout helmet, and then diving into that pearl sporty tank which is going to be a completely different style. Trying to work outside of my comfort zone for a while to encourage growth.
                            I'll keep posting shit to this thread as I go along.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;