CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Hybrid View

Default Dusty's 37 Indian Bonneville racer

This madness started last year when Tom who is a member of our Friday gear head lunch group and who goes to Bonneville most every year to either race or officiate tossed me a copy of last years SCTA rule book and asked if I thought there was a class I thought I could be competitive in. He had underlined a few that he thought I might be interested in considering that most of my bikes are Indians
     photo SCTARuleBook_zpsa1d2d093.jpg

After reading and rereading the rules book I finally decided this spring that a Bonneville effort would be a good way to spend the next few years of My retirement. After much discussion I am maybe positive that I want to build an AVBF A being a special construction frame which will allow me to get the head stock as low as possible with the 16" rims I chose. The rules allow as small as 15" rims but the cost and availability of tires and rims and the fact that I had a new w speed rated 16" tire made me settle on 16 inches. V is vintage engine produced before 1956 with a 33.33% size advantage given to flatheads. B is blown and F is fuel. Right now the plan is to run Nitrous oxide and alcohol through fogers because of a flatheads notoriously poor breathing even if blown. I started looking for parts this spring Got a pair of 16" 250 Ninga rims and fork and today I won a set of 37 Sport Scout cases. So it will be a 1937 Sport Scout.

Still haven't picked a displacement a 45" stock displacement Scout would run in 500 cc the ABVF record is 73.903 but the 500 cc AVF record is 111.839 so the blown speed should go way up soon and a 57" stroker would run in 650 No record for ABVF but AVF is 144.531. Leaving it a 45 would give me lots more room for piston squirters but would require a pair of std. bore cylinders but I just prefer 57 inchers and the cylinders could be way oversize per the rules.

Main thing I need to find next is a pair of cylinders I would really like to buy new ones but the rules require original cases and cylinders or exact reproductions and only ones I can find so far say improved ports and the rules committee says not no but hell no. I hear that there are exact repros but canít find anyone selling one that will offer any documentation and at $1500.00 to $2000.00 I sure donít want a pair of paper weights.

Dusty

Took awhile but finally scored a set of 1937 Sport Scout cases that only need one weld and a oversize rocker arm pivoit. Not bad for 77 years old.
    Dusty
     photo 37SSCasesSN_zpse4244111.jpg

photo 37SSCasesRHDamage_zpsa492e1d2.jpg

37 Sport Scout RH Case photo 37SSCasesRH_zps525941d1.jpg

Got the flywheels Truett & Osborn made special for this bike this morning. They are stock stroke with rod bores to take a Sportster rod pin and rods.I have decided that it's going to be a blown fuel 45 so it will run in 500cc AVBF .Still haven't found a front cylinder yet but have a very good rear now.
    Dusty
     photo 2014-09-07144113_zps060460ff.jpg

photo 2014-09-07144037_zps05868fe4.jpg
    Last edited by DustyDave; 11-24-2014 at 7:57 PM.

Cool!

i've been waaiting for this.

Vintage Indian + racing + blown + nitrous oxide had me turned on instantly

xllance

This will be one of the few threads I subscribe to. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

The horse magazine just did a article with Steve Brewdude Garn about ceramic bearings and worldwide bearings sale them 800 575 3220 worldwidebearings.com it's a good article about them

Yeah I saw it but when I'm told that there is only one place that knows anything and I should only shop there I get nervous and check around.
    Dusty

I wouldnt trust brewdude as far as I could throw him. He ripped me off for $1100
    Last edited by jethro57; 12-16-2014 at 5:50 PM.

I would invest in a new rule book if you haven't already as they have changed the maximum bore size allowed in the vintage class. If you are already aware of this then please disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
    I would invest in a new rule book if you haven't already as they have changed the maximum bore size allowed in the vintage class. If you are already aware of this then please disregard.
    Will do! What is the new max overbore? It was .050, And I bought 1 cylinder that probably won't clean up at less than .040.
    Dusty

Nice score

Several of the cylinders I am trying to save have the valve seats cut way too deep since there isn't really room to cut and press seats (they always break if you do) I am going to spray weld the seats back up to reasonable heights. I am thinking 840 powder which is about rockwell 40 .I have some 850 powder that is rockwell 60 or so but I am a little leary of going that hard. Any thoughts?
    Dusty

dave, do you do the welding? i would really like to see some pics of the process.

I use an old Lawson Pyrofacer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SprayWeldTorch.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	63207
    I've never had a free camera hand when I'm using it, but I'll try in the future. I bought it to build up the pins and sockets in cranes and manlifts so I wouldn't have to tear them all apart and wait on a machine shop.
    Dusty

Got a fairly rare clutch basket today. 1934 only with all three rows of teeth all other Scout clutches don't have the center row of teeth so the mag drive gear has somewhere to go.
    IncredablyRareClutch photo 2015-11-12 15.20.04_zps5vpc4x4z.jpg
    Dusty

Share This