CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default The problem with the chopper "scene," as I see it.

I saw in that other thread that everyone is going through a mini-freak out right now about people leaving the scene to pursue other interests because of how turned off they’ve become due to its inhabitants.

And it’s true. Who really gives a fuck about choppers, anymore? Honestly, who ACTUALLY gives a fuck?

The problem is the answer to this question is only as relevant as the people who show up to all these crazy events, rad rides, awesome shows, and swap meets. And in any other era in chopper history, at any other point in time, this would mean that people who build their own shit, ride the shit out of their own shit, and break and fix their own shit, are the ones who are dictating where the scene is headed.

Unfortunately, however, that is no longer the case. In reality, choppers have been commoditized. They have taken what you hold so dearly, re-manufactured it, polished – then patina’d – it, and sold it back to you in a convenient, fashionable, and hip package.

The people who organize all of these wild events like Born Free and the Brooklyn Invitational made choppers and chopper culture commonplace. They turned it into a subcultural art form that people who drink gourmet coffee, buy custom threads, and listen to first pressings of Smiths records really enjoy. And most frighteningly of all, they’ve made it safe. It’s not necessarily their fault, but it is what it is. Their intentions were wonderful, but let’s face it – the ramifications are becoming more and more noticeable on the daily.

People love the chopper scene and people who ride them because there is an air of mystery and danger that surrounds all of this; there always has been. The only difference now is that we’re going through this weird, fucked up paradigm shift, and the people who rode choppers throughout history, who actually were dangerous, real mother fuckers, have been replaced by dudes on sportsters who wear skinny jeans and Vans sneakers, or low-rise bootcuts and faded suede “boots” (Note: Got no beef with skinny jeans and Vans – I’m wearing them as I type this).

So the chopper has gone the way of Williamsburg – a generally dangerous concept has been taken, white-washed, artified, and sold back to us. And those of us who still “get it,” get fucked worse, because it’s getting more and more difficult to tell the difference…

It’s real hard to differentiate a real-deal greasy piece of shit from a rich white kid who just wants to look like a greasy piece of shit, and that’s the truth. I’m 5’9, 165 pounds, and chockfull of bad traditional tattoos. I wear thick-rimmed Ray Bans sunglasses, ride in sneakers, and wear skinny jeans. By every definition of the word, I look like a hipster. And I’m fine with that. I swing pussy wherever I go, despite being a generally unattractive guy, and I can take a fuckin’ joke.

The difference, however, is that being a biker isn’t about what you wear. It’s not even about what you ride. It’s about HOW you do it. I’ve been blessed over the last six years or so to have ridden with many a person – with everyone from one percenters, to complete and honest chopper nuts, to the very people about whom I’m writing – and you can IMMEDIATELY tell the difference between people who belong here – who positively live for this shit – and people who are just surfing the wave until it crashes.

And if there’s one thing I’ve noticed about people who RIDE like they belong here, it’s that they also ACT like they belong here. Ever wondered what it’s like to get beat the fuck up by a guy wearing a polo shirt underneath a cardigan? I’ll let you find out – for free.
    THAT, right there, is the difference between a hipster and a biker. The problem, however, as I mentioned above, is that you can’t tell who’s who until you’re on the back end of an ass whoopin’. Again, we’re traveling in unfamiliar territory.

So what’s a real-deal mother fucker to do in a scene inundated by do-nothings and wannabes? Nothing. We stay the course. We keep doing what we’re doing, and what we’ve always done, because at the end of the day, in a sea of side-part haircuts, empty PBR cans, and bad traditional tattoos, one thing remains true: “Real will always recognize real.”

And that’s a fact. What's happening right now is a natural byproduct of a dying art in a digital age. It's happening this way because it HAS to happen this way. The only thing we can do is stay the course, twist the throttle back, and ride it out -- just as we always have.

Get Adobe Flash player

Please define chopper " scene" so that I can identify the problem...

NHMike

I'm so gay for you Rubby

Get Adobe Flash player

I think by labeling it a "scene" you have actually identified yourself as one of those you seem to detest. In the 70's girls dads would "forbid" their daughters to date us "dirty bikers" because we were seen as scum in their eyes. If you rode a chop, or were in a club, you were a dirty biker. Now that it's a "scene" the dads want to ride with us on their credit glides. I say fuck 'em all because in 5 or so years when the "scene" is Mini Coopers or whatever I can get a Road Glide for cheap. Fads come and go, bikes go in and out of "style" and I'm waiting for the next drop in prices to collect up enough bikes to last throughout my retirement!

Shovelwitch

More people quit! I want cheaper shit motherfuckers.

Cisco726

Don't change the fucking subject!! We're still waiting for pics of your sister!!!

JoeInPA

At 5'9" and 165lbs, I'm guessing the reason you kick so much ass is because you can't reach much higher on most biker dudes.

Cisco726

Quote Originally Posted by Grantman View Post
    I think by labeling it a "scene" you have actually identified yourself as one of those you seem to detest. In the 70's girls dads would "forbid" their daughters to date us "dirty bikers" because we were seen as scum in their eyes. If you rode a chop, or were in a club, you were a dirty biker. Now that it's a "scene" the dads want to ride with us on their credit glides. I say fuck 'em all because in 5 or so years when the "scene" is Mini Coopers or whatever I can get a Road Glide for cheap. Fads come and go, bikes go in and out of "style" and I'm waiting for the next drop in prices to collect up enough bikes to last throughout my retirement!
    That's why we're seeing so many $70k "choppers" go for $10-20k now. I don't a shit what they wanna call it or how they wanna dress. I'm gonna keep ridin. Keep on L-I-V-I-N.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	53844

Shovelwitch

All I want is a panhead, hipsters no hipsters. God no god, big tits small tits, PBR or Budweiser IDGAF all I want is a panhead, cause they are kool.

Get Adobe Flash player

I used to think rollerbladers were faggots. Now when I see a dude rollerblading at a skatepark, I respect that motherfucker, because he sure as hell isn't doing it for the trend, he is doing it because he loves it. I feel like thats what will happen. The choppershit wave will eventually break and after the cool trend washes away the people that are die hard will still be around doing their thing.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by FredoSNR View Post
    I used to think rollerbladers were faggots. Now when I see a dude rollerblading at a skatepark, I respect that motherfucker, because he sure as hell isn't doing it for the trend, he is doing it because he loves it. I feel like thats what will happen. The choppershit wave will eventually break and after the cool trend washes away the people that are die hard will still be around doing their thing.
    Nah rollerblades are still gay

Quote Originally Posted by FatChibs View Post
    Nah rollerblades are still gay
    yup

Get Adobe Flash player

There are plenty of non-hipster biker events and "scenes" are always optional.

The US population is huge so this third wave of chobber fashionability won't be the last. It has the best aftermarket so far and hipster money is as green as any.

SamHain

tldr. I like choppers, well some of them at least. I don't get hopped up about what everyone else is doing.

NoGodsNoMasters

Fuckin' fruitbooters!

Get Adobe Flash player

stop analyzing everything just ride motorcycles fuckin a lmao

Get Adobe Flash player

Same shit happened back when Evo Big Twins hit the scene and the Shovel riders couldnt stand all of the Yuppy bikers that rode them. Then you have the current generation of chopper snobs that ride twice a year or parade around town in a pack, that spend more than I can afford to try and dress like poor people......Sorry, but I grew up broke, and try and take care of my bike, and dress decent, so I dont wanna play like I am poor cuz that shit sucked ass. I just keep on keepin on, I ride all of the time, and havent seen a chopper out and about since it got cold, and by cold I mean 40F cuz I live at the beach.

I dont ride choppers either, I do watch the build threads and learn fabrication skills to apply to my builds. Always room to learn more.
    Last edited by bobbed06; 11-21-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Moody31

Fruit booters are gay and still are and I haven't noticied this scene to busy bein awesome and I hope baggers price drop in the next five years It would be nice to get one and ride across the us

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by FredoSNR View Post
    I used to think rollerbladers were faggots.
    A friend of mine was trying to get me into roller hockey. I told him I don't know how to skate and he said "Don't worry, it's really easy. The only hard part of learning to use roller blades is telling your parents that you're gay."

Get Adobe Flash player

Maybe we should all go to Sturgis and wear our assless chaps. Face it, the generations getting into choppers are much like myself, used to skate/BMX etc. It will and has crossed over.
    This crap reminds me of the early music scene before it was labeled "scene."

Share This