Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaredshaunsmith
    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Dragstews

That's a good carb to run on the early 900cc motor... (Near Stock Builds)
    36mm is a pretty ideal size for them...

But what you have is tried...
    The inlet has been broke off leaving just the brass barb...
    I have replace those before with new, not a easy job, but can be done...

Choke looks like it's not working...
    Be nice to have it on line, But, with that carb having a pump circuit, a few hits on the throttle will get raw gas into the jugs for a fire up....
    thanks for the response. seems like looking for a new one may be the way to go. is the super e shorty a good fit for this motor? if there's another alternative i'm into that too...

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

That's alot of a Carb for the 900's

Being a 1-7/8 throat and a fixed Venturi makes for jetting them down big time...
      The CV would be a better choice IMO.....
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
        • Apr 2024

small steps

Yo! Small steps recently... i took my rocker boxes to a polisher the other day, and got a quote for $160 - as i usually do, i opted for buying a tool instead of paying somebody. jumped on craigslist and found a rockwell buffing machine and went and grabbed it. now i can do all my own polishing.

buffer with stand i welded up for it (the welds are horrible... but... it's sturdy. it was late and i had had wayyyy too much coffee that day):

starting to polish up all the parts for the wheels:

headed down to redwood city tonight to see spade george and get his take on the bottom end of my engine... want to get him to check the crank play, the trans, the clutch, and the cams to see what's good enough to run and what needs to be rebuilt. we're also going to get these wheels laced up and trued.

should have my top end back from hanan's machine shop on friday.

Comment

• Motorradfahrer
          • Aug 2009

Any updates on this build?

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Motorradfahrer
            Any updates on this build?
            yep... big post coming shortly. i've been too busy working on it to post updates about working on it

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
              • Apr 2024

been making lots of progress on this.

got my wheels, forks, and fender mounts done this weekend. all came together really quickly for a test fit after i had my wheels and forks ready. once the rear tire was on i was able to start cutting the spacer bungs for the fender placement.

i'm stoked on the fender placement - it's about as close as it can be without scrubbing. nice and tight.

taping up the fender for placement - used a 1/2" hose against the tire for spacing:

the kids had to give it a test too:

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
                • Apr 2024

Onto yesterday and today's progress: got a suggestion from max schaff for a shop up in santa rosa to do my lower end work- s&j cycles. gave them a call and steve, the owner was super knowledgeable and excited to help - i liked him right away, and his estimate for the cost was super reasonable as well - and he's going to reassemble the top end for me. when he's done, I'll basically have a brand new motor ready to pick up and throw in the frame.... if the frame is ready by then. fingers crossed.

yesterday i pulled the lower end out of the frame (again) and brought it up to steve. he has two motors before mine so it'll be late january before it's done.

today i got to work painting my heads and cylinders (realized I didn't take an after shot of those though... they turned out really nice) and popping out some dents and then bondo'ing on the tank... my plan for the tank is to try painting it myself and see how that goes - if it sucks, i'll buy a new tank (this one's pretty trashed anyways). going for a pale blue/green robin's egg kinda thing with black sparkle and some raw metal accents. i'll post another picture in a few days of how that's going.

this is all i'll post for now of my plan for the paint... i actually have finshed painting most of it already and am loving how it's turning out but i want to wait till clear coat to post any more for you guys to see.

Comment

• xMPRx
                  • Jun 2013

Just tuning into your thread man and looks awsome! Cool to see how much work your putting in on all the little stuff. Can't wait to see more updates!

Comment

• image1
                    • Aug 2009

gotcha. the 3/8ths rod will be supported by bigger rods connecting to the fender... i think it'll be ok, but i'm a long way from being able to test it.
                    its not so much the mounting areas, as it is the long vertical runs. These engines produce some serious vibes, which travel, and a tall sissy acts like a tuning fork. I would seriously reconsider the 3/8, or wait till it breaks.

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
                      • Apr 2024

glitter princess robin's egg sparkle black acid rain

finished my tank today. i'm soooo pumped on it!

glitter princess robin's egg sparkle black acid rain

start -> finish took about three days:

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
                        • Apr 2024

oh also.. i went and bought some 1/2" stainless - you guys can quit yelling at me now about 3/8ths

spent a few hours cutting and bending, making collars, and measuring over and over and over....

just laid out for now - will start welding tomorrow or sunday:

was planning to braze the slip joints but realized today it'd be better to just cut a slit down one side of the collar and then weld that up

here's a test weld i did tonight - mig welded, then ground with die grinder, rounded with hand files - looks decent for a test - i'll give the real ones on the sissy bar more attention than i did this one:

thanks to everyone for chiming in about the 3/8ths... i was still being stubborn enough to want to try it even given what you guys had said, but once i started bending it and looking at it next to the bike it just looked so small. 1/2" is where it's at for sure
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2014, 9:53 PM.

Comment

• paulw
                          • Jun 2012

digging the tank! that blue is so awesome

Comment

• Dragstews
                            • Sep 2010

3/8 solid round stock should work well...

Could add a little more work for your engine Guy to do in order to make the motor run alot smoother....

Have him do a balance job with matching the reciprocation weights of the rods/pistons combos...
                            You would not believe how how much that helps in taking mega vibration out of the motor...
                            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
                              • Apr 2024

Originally posted by paulw
                              digging the tank! that blue is so awesome
                              thanks! came out exactly how i wanted.

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
                                • Apr 2024

sissy bar sunday FTW

pretty much finished up my sissy bar today. i've only been welding for about 6 months and have been slowly getting the hang of it. this bar was pretty challenging.

taped it up first and stared at it for a while to make sure i liked the placement of everything - as soon as i got it taped up i knew i would want to cut the lip of the fender down some:

starting to weld the collars:

compared to my welds 6 months ago this shit is beautiful (granted, it's still a mess):

drilling into the bottom of the fender mount rods so i could tap it was pretty tricky - made a jig to help clamp it place:

finished welds and fender chopped - still need to round the corners off the chopped fender - but that will wait for next weekend or later this week:

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;